UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Finding my game

6/1/10 4:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sevenone
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Over the last few months I've felt as if I need to start focusing on my various techniques and build myself a style. I'm wondering if any of you guys with many more years experience than myself could help me out with some tips. Should I start with my defense and work outwards. Should I work on a few different styles, varying for different styles of opponents? Pretty much I need something to really focus on without a fight coming up in order to keep training really exciting, any ideas would be appreciated.
6/1/10 9:54 PM
Khun Kao
1289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In all honesty, I can't make suggestions without seeing you train. Please, if available, post videos of the following, in order of importance:

1. Fight footage

2. Sparring

3. Shadowboxing

4. Thai pads

Ok, maybe switch Thai pads for shadowboxing.... I can't decide which I'd rather see first. They are both real "telling", IMHO
6/9/10 6:18 PM
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine, Website Editor
do me, do me!

This is a year old so I've changed since then, developed a good left hook off the jab and a good left hook off rolling out under the right hand. Still dont kick all that much although I apparently have a heavy left leg.
6/10/10 10:19 AM
Khun Kao
1289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - do me, do me!

Uh, it isn't clear... which one are you in the film?
6/10/10 2:49 PM
john joe
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ha, oh yeah. The white dude.

Or as Goldberg would say, "In the blue tshirt and black shorts with the black and white gloves on and the short brown hair"
Rogan: "The white guy, Mike"
6/10/10 3:10 PM
Khun Kao

Good Crazy Monkey Defense at the end of Round 2 and into Round 3.... :)

I liked how you transitioned from CMD into a counterstrike of your own, but at the same time, you waited too long to do it. Even if your defense is solid, you can't let a guy tee off on you that many times before striking back. I always try to respond at the 3rd strike.

The biggest thing is that you had decided to box in a kickboxing match. Was this Muay Thai or K-1 rules? Regardless, as your coach was trying to shout, you really need to balance in the kicks.

Otherwise, you were just too tentative. Sometimes you need to just let your weapons to their work, ya know?

To sum up...

GOOD: Energy level seemed good, boxing technique seemed solid, good balance, and decent defense.

BAD: Lack of kicks, lack of kicking defense, overall tentativeness.
6/10/10 3:33 PM
john joe

helpful feedback, thanks a lot!

Apart from my left leg I never kick you know, I dont know why I just dont like it. I use my left leg loads but at that time (my first interclub incidentally) I had badly busted toes on my left leg and just didnt want to throw it.

I still stand proper side-on as well like a boxer, I cant get the aquare stance into my muscle memory for longer than ten seconds, it drives me nuts!

Thanks for the feedback.

Incidentally, and I realise this is a big ask based on 3 mins of video footage, but do I look competent enough to be teaching beginners? I've been volunteering at a local youth center and the kids know I train so I've been kinda begged into teaching em stuff. I feel like I should have had a few pro fights before being a teacher though, i feel a little fraudulent. I am not getting paid or chargin them though, so you get what you pay for eh!
6/10/10 9:25 PM
Khun Kao

There's nothing fraudulent about sharing what you know. I mean, heck, they're kids! Showing them something is better than nothing, especially when they are eager to learn. It's not like you're selling yourself to be something you're not, and as long as you never do, it's all well and good. Just be honest about what you know and have fun with it....

As far as your own training, just keep trying. What I'd recommend is doing some heavily intensive kick-only training. Do "Kick Sparring" with your partners (no boxing or knees allowed). You'll start to develop a better kicking stance, and then you can slowly reintegrate boxing.

If it falls together for you great! If not, you're still having fun learning and competing, right?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.