UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dan Lauzon motivated as Daniel Gracie reaches out

6/2/10 6:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated, Lauzon in need of a change

It’s been said a fighter learns the most from when he loses. In the case of Dan Lauzon, losing led to a renewed sense of focus and some much needed clarity.

With all the fight camp and family drama leading up to the Bridgewater native’s loss by decision to Efrain Escudero last weekend at UFC 114, Lauzon said the setback just might have been the best thing to happen to him.

It was well documented leading up to the fight that due to a training dispute Lauzon was without his older brother Joe Lauzon, as well as coaches Joe Pomfret and Steve Maze. The fighter did clear the air with his brother prior to the fight, and though they’re speaking, he’s glad it all happened the way it did.

“It was actually a little bit easier going out there without my brother. Sometimes when I have him in my corner I feel like it’s a lot of pressure,” Dan Lauzon, who hasn’t heard from UFC since the loss, said. “My brother puts a lot a lot of pressure on me to win and I don’t really fight that well when I’m put under a lot of pressure like that. It was the most fun I had in a fight in a long time, since my first or second fight. I was just happy to be out there.”

Growing up in the shadow of a brother like the elder Lauzon has been difficult. The brothers fight in the same weight class (lightweight) and Joe has been around the local scene for a long time with success (5-2) in the UFC, whereas Dan (0-3) is still searching for that first win. Their personalities can be described as polar opposites, which led to clashes at their Bridgewater-based Lauzon’s MMA gym.

Dan Lauzon said that branching out from beneath his brother is something that is in his best interest. And after Escudero outworked him to the decision, Lauzon immediately realized his cardio work and gym habits need to change.

It almost seemed like fate when his plane landed Sunday in Boston. A longtime friend called from New York with Daniel Gracie on the line. Gracie extended an invitation to Lauzon to come to the Renzo Gracie Academy, which has helped fighters like Georges St. Pierre, Matt Serra and Ricardo Almeida.

“(Gracie) goes, `If you want to be a fighter you can’t hang around in your hometown just because you want to be with your friends and your family. You need to travel out of your comfort zone. I want you to move out here and train for three or four months and then you can fight anywhere in the world,”’ Lauzon said. “He said, `I just want to you to know this is your invitation. You have a lot of talent, I just don’t want you to waste it.”’

(more…)

6/2/10 6:31 PM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fate, imo. Hope Dany takes him up on his offer.

TTT for The Upgrade
6/2/10 8:12 PM
Loco Lobo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ihope Dany takes him up on it. I know both brothers well, awesome dudes, good fighters. Daniel is my jiu jitsu instructor and is world class grappler, he also fought in Pride, besides being a great freind. Sometimes change is good.
6/2/10 8:35 PM
Archer0545

Sounds like a good move for Dan at this point.  Sometimes some time away will do wonders for Siblings.
6/2/10 8:45 PM
fabes
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for d-lau and his good friend (both awesome people).
6/2/10 8:57 PM
TapouT24
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TAKE THIS DEAL!
6/2/10 9:03 PM
Oddessa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oddessa
 Sometimes thats all someone needs..someone to extend a helping hand...  hope he ends up in a good spot. 

I will be hope to see Dan sieze an opportunity and develop  from these small hiccups he is going thru.

He's young enough to rebound from anything.

I wish him luck with it.
6/2/10 9:11 PM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hope he goes through with this and takes training seriously.
6/2/10 10:25 PM
Kirik
2042 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 Dany with sick cardio is a potential world beater.

When all is said and done, I think that is all JLau really wanted.
6/3/10 2:11 AM
BzGrappla

damn.. i would be fuckin running to NYC, hopping on the first train out of boston with that inviation.

the only thing is where would he live.. ny is expensive
6/3/10 3:38 AM
Dbol Dev

ttt
6/3/10 6:02 AM
fabes
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/3/10 8:51 AM
ezubik

It looks like Danny has some personal problems and going down the wrong path. Team Renzo has great character to help him out. Joe also did the right thing cause he has the most power to make his brother straighten up before he wastes his career.
6/3/10 9:13 AM
billy914
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree this sounds like exactly what he needs. Obviously, I'm speculating a little from what I've read and the impression I get of him but he seems like a very talented guy that needs that extra push you only really get from a solid team that makes you do everything you need to. Team Renzo would be good for him.
6/3/10 10:36 AM
Jeepster
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -  Dany with sick cardio is a potential world beater.

When all is said and done, I think that is all JLau really wanted.

this
6/3/10 11:16 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for Dany! hope he heads up there!
6/3/10 11:19 AM
Saint721
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this is good news, probably the best way this situation could have been resolved. switching camps should be good for him.
6/3/10 8:45 PM
BzGrappla

i think dany needs to get a little stronger, a strength and conditioning program would not hurt
6/3/10 9:17 PM
Rollaway

A focused DLau with good cardio is gonna be fun to watch. Hope this works out for him.
6/3/10 11:20 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Daniel Gracie is a fucking pimp. Nice as hell and really fucking cool.

Hope to see Dan on the mats.
6/3/10 11:26 PM
Im a real boy

If bad gym habits and not training hard were his problem, Renzo will fix that. He's one of those guys that just seems to motivate everyone within a mile radius of him.
6/3/10 11:29 PM
Oddessa
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oddessa
Rollaway - A focused DLau with good cardio is gonna be fun to watch. Hope this works out for him.

me2
6/4/10 12:28 AM
MattBenwa
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit - hope Dany takes that offer, nothing but good things can come from training with Daniel.

Still think Joe's desertion is fucked up though - and I love Joe, but it's just not cool.
6/4/10 12:28 AM
MattBenwa
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/04/10 12:28 AM
double
6/4/10 12:35 AM
HYBRID JON
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brothers are brothers...  Sometimes a few states between them is a blessing in disguise, especcially in high pressured, growing periods like these...

Best of luck to both.... My bet, you'll see them inseperable in each others corner within the next 2 years (Both being title contenders)  Joe is stuck at 155... Dan, I see you as a 185'er... Laugh now, you'll see.....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.