UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Clinching Motivation, Neak Ta Pradal Serey

6/6/10 10:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
felakuti
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9oKkaKhZU

A short docu-promo on a Neak Ta Pradal Serey, Khmer Martial Arts club in Ottawa headed by Sam Lok. (4 part video)
6/7/10 8:55 AM
Khun Kao
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/7/10 8:56 AM
Khun Kao
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/7/10 8:57 AM
Khun Kao

6/7/10 8:57 AM
Khun Kao

6/7/10 9:33 AM
Khun Kao

I have to admit that I'm kind of mystified by how people make a big deal out of this whole Pradal Serey vs. Muay Thai argument. Why is this even a discussion? Why can't they just let their fighting style speak for itself, rather than continually harp on whether or not Muay Thai was based off their art?

Regardless of the fact that the Khmer people have inhabited SE Asia longer than the Thai people, the fact is they've been sharing this land for the past 1000 years. There isn't definitive proof what originated where as far as the martial arts are concerned.

Despite the origins of the original art/s, all the varying regions of SE Asia developed their own styles. The Cambodians have Pradal Serey, the Burmese have Bando, the Indonesians have Penjak Silat, and the Thai's have Muay Thai.

Each country had its own version of these arts, but it was the Thai people who actually created an actual ring sport from their regional fighting styles. They developed the rules, the scoring system, etc.

So to me, it just seems very silly that these arguments occur. Cambodia, Burma/Myanmar, Vietnam, Indonesia, Laos... They missed their chance.

While I do like the idea that was proposed of calling for renaming the sport to SEA Boxing during the 2005 SEA Games, the bottom line is that unless they completely changed the rules and regulations so that they are no longer truly figthing "Muay Thai", then the name should not be changed either. Perhaps allowing headbutts? No rounds? Wider range of throws allowed?

As it stands, the Thai's invented Muay Thai... they developed it and they marketed it. It's their sport. Why *should* they be pressured into changing its name?
6/7/10 10:18 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, those guys suck.
6/7/10 11:45 PM
nakmuay26
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not much to add to a topic that is a big enough headache already.

I will say that the issue of "whose art it really is" is most contentious among folks who aren't involved with the day-to-day business of training, competing and actively promoting the art on both sides of the Thai/Cambodian border. This is particularly clear in Cambodian (and perhaps Thai) communities OUTSIDE of Cambodia (and Thailand). All countries have a national narrative, Cambodia's involves some sore feelings towards their neighbors and it carries into most arenas of interaction amongst them.

For the Thais, come on, what is there really to say? They are amazing at what they do.

As for the Cambodians, they are out there training hard and fighting hard in a system that doesn't support them at any level.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a kick from Samkor or a kick from Eh Phouthang.

6/8/10 8:39 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it worth noting that the majority of Muay Thai champions come from Buriram, which largely ethnic Khmer?
6/9/10 7:12 AM
IronMonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought all the SEA regional styles are kickboxing styles? Video 3 showing them doing the groundwork and back bridging exercises in a MMA style gym. Are these really part of Pradal Serey?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.