UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Sambo in Utah.

6/8/10 6:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know of any Sambo instructors out in UTAH?
6/8/10 11:31 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nope
6/9/10 1:11 AM
Punk Dobbs

Adam Blackburn is in SLC. He's a Ron Tripp protege and also posts here. Mostly judo background but knows a thing or two about Sambo as well.
6/9/10 8:56 AM
Kai Tremeche

Punk: Thanks man, I'm fact checking some shit talker my buddy knows.
6/9/10 11:09 AM
dynamo
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kai,

I don't know of anybody in Utah and if you need help on the fact checking email the name of the person in question to me and I'll check in our database at the American Sambo Association.

dynamogregg@msn.com
6/9/10 11:28 AM
Kai Tremeche

Dynamo: Eh, I've learned Judo/Sambo The Metro Guys and under Mark Tripp and bumping around with the guys from Southside (Steve Smith wasn't around that much when I was there though) but I've not competed in anything, so I wouldn't be in the list.

I'm more curious if there's anyone doing instruction out there in that area, if he drops a name, I'll put it in here.

There's a lot of people out there who are Fedor-tards, so I'm just looking for some fact checking. Thanks again.
6/9/10 6:24 PM
ADAMB

Did judo and little bit of sambo with Tripp and pat burris in the late 80s, fought jrs once. Been in Utah a while and am well connected and do not know of any sambo gyms.
7/31/10 6:24 PM
Ninja mon

Kai I used to train at Walt Bayless in the mid nineties who has a Sambo background. Unfortunately, he doesn't teach the public anymore and his top guys aren't teaching at any schools besides Mike Colby who is one of the instructors at fusion bjj which is located at the muay thai institute. He teaches a lot of Sambo but it's primarily a bjj school. You can come check out our school bernalesinstitute.com we teach Sambo as well as BJJ and Combat Submission Wrestling. Most of our Sambo techniques are CSW based from our master Erik Paulson who is a legend! We'd love to have you come down sometime we're located on 2257 S. State St 801-463-1727 that is the number of the school.
7/31/10 6:47 PM
Kai Tremeche

Thanks Ninja.

Like I said, I'm just fact checking some trash talker.
7/31/10 7:00 PM
Ninja mon

No problem Kai!

Ok got you! Yeah i had the priviledge of training with Walt Bayless in 96 and he had some really sick Sambo. Where do you train at man? I've really been trying to learn and master my leg locks lately.
7/31/10 7:18 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: 07/31/10 10:21 PM
Ninja: Started with Mark Tripp in Detroit (Not the most popular on here, but taught me some interesting fundamentals) in 1997.

Then Metro Fight Club along side 2000 world champ in Sambo at 68kg Jessey Bouchard from like 1999-2003 off and on.

Then went to Southside Dojo 2006-2007 under Chris and Andy Snyder and occasionally Steve Smith (1989 USSA Sambo Hall of Famer as an athlete)...

In between those years, I was in and out with various BJJ schools between Kalamazoo and Detroit. I have some funny stories of Steve Smith rolling down to the YMCA to crush me when I was 2 years into the sport.

Now I'm out in Ottawa and I know Igor Yakimov still occasionally teaches at FitMMA, so I'm gonna check that out next.

Funny, we were just talking about Walt Bayless on the UG and people were remarking about how well his instructionals still stand up over the test of time.

Now, before I start sounding like I'm any good, I'm not... I've just been really lucky to train with and be taught by a really great bunch of Sambo/Judo/Newaza studs.
7/31/10 7:58 PM
Ninja mon

That's awesome Kai! Wow that's a pretty nice resume looks like you've been training a long time! That's cool man, Walt
Bayless came on the scene and then he vanished haha, went on to do his own artistic thing. Yeah I still have his instructionals somewhere in my house. He produced some really good guys with awesome leglocks/sambo. Keep training hard!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.