UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> How Many Miles?

6/9/10 8:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/09/10 8:25 PM
MMA Roundup, Founder & Editor

What's the average amount of miles to run before starting MMA training?  
6/10/10 3:58 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

before class? Before you're in condition to start MMA training? not sure I understand.
6/11/10 3:20 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Roundup, Founder & Editor
Bull_in_chinashop -  before class? Before you're in condition to start MMA training? not sure I understand.

If you're an average joe.  What should you be averaging before you even try to step into a MMA school?
6/11/10 3:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In a perfect world I'd love for all my new students to come in in good condition because even then, they're going to be in for a shock due to the pace of MMA class.  The reality is that many do not however and come in out of condition. It's not a terrible thing though it's mostly just frustrating in the beginning because their conditioning creates limits that pisses off the mind and your pride! ;-)

Ideally? I'd love for my newbs to be running/or playing other sports 2-3x a week for 60-90 minutes working on increasing their aerobic capacity which will help them recover from anaerobic bursts much faster.
6/19/10 9:20 PM
sgtfloresusmc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info.
6/29/10 6:07 PM
Augie Max

MMA Roundup, Executive Producer
Thanks!
6/30/10 2:33 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Joel Jamieson stated this once in a S&C thread and I found it to be excellent advice for new students:

"Since you are a beginner you need to spend the majority of your time training your MMA skill and a limited amount of time on physical conditioning. I would suggest a very simple program probably 2-3 days per week at most.

Your conditioning training should consist of 60-90 minutes of moderate heart rates 120-150 using a variety of exercises such as jumping rope, medicine ball exercises, playing team sports, jogging, swimming, etc. You can also do short intervals of 5-10 second bursts against resistance resting until your heart rate drops to 130 and repeat.

Your strength training should be very basic using major muscle group exercises such as squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, rows, bench press and injury prevention exercises for shoulders, low back, neck, etc. Two days per week of strength training using major exercise should suffice."

In the beginning, focus on building general overall strength and power, you do not need to do complicated or specific MMA exercises.

Remember your focus as a beginner needs to be on learning your skills in MMA so focus most of your time training skill development

Start with these simple principles and you should build a solid foundation for later training.
7/2/10 9:04 AM
namnk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

60-90 is too long for a beginner unless we're not talking about 60-90 minutes of continuous effort. Even at a slow 10 min/mile pace we're talking 6-9 miles of running. Fairly easy/moderate for an endurance athlete, but not so much for a beginner. A Crossfit/Caveman-type workout that is modified for a beginner's fitness level would also help tremendously in all areas including endurance, power, and strength.
7/2/10 9:54 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

couldn't disagree more.

you don't have to run for 60-90 minutes. you could be playing sports or do as I do and call it "around the world cardio" -

10 minutes on treadmill
10 minutes on steps
10 minutes on c2 rower
10 minutes on spin bike
10 minutes on eliptical
10 minutes on upper body ergometer
or
5 minutes Running
5 minutes heavy bag
5 minutes jump rope
5 minutes Agility ladder
x3 sets
or
5 minutes on heavy bag
5 minutes on ground n pound dummy
5 minutes shadow wrestling
x 4 sets

etc..  it's not about the activity, it's about the Heart rate.  if you could get your HR at 145 while playing ping/pong then do it.

you talk about Crossfit and caveman training but the problem with that is (aside from CrossFit being bad science/garbage) that beginners almost NEVER have the anaerobic recovery capabilities (remember the aerobic system is responsible for the resupply) required for intense anaerobic work. so they just get tired quickly and stay gassed - They'll never make the best adaptions to this training because they don;t have a foundation that allows them to recover or utilize anaerobic energy efficiently.

There is a very logical and methodical process to develop "cardio". My recommendation build the foundation for it, which will help their MMA training.
10/21/10 2:54 PM
Spencer Fisher
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I run six days a week every other day sprints or stadium but mon,wed,fri, 5 mile run
10/21/10 3:31 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Great to have you here Spencer. You're rematch with Sam Stout one of my favorite fights.  :-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.