UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dean Lister training James Toney in BJJ

6/11/10 10:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

With his mixed martial arts debut about two months away, former multi-division boxing champion James Toney has enlisted ex-UFC star and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Dean Lister to tutor him in a crash course on the ground game, MMA Fighting has learned. Lister has been working with Toney for about one month in preparation for his August UFC 118 bout against UFC legend Randy Couture.

The addition of Lister to Toney's training team gives a wider look at his preparation, which he has tried his best to keep under wraps while speculation bubbled about whether he was training for the ground game at all.

While Juanito Ibarra, who trained Quinton "Rampage" Jackson when Jackson captured the UFC light-heavyweight championship, was originally tasked with overseeing Toney's camp, Trever Sherman  is now in the role. .

Read entire article...

6/11/10 10:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice choice by Toney, Dean is a great coach.
6/11/10 10:46 AM
JolietJake
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta start sometime but it's to little to late.
6/11/10 10:47 AM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it's really going to make a difference. 
6/11/10 10:57 AM
Sebastiaan

Toney does not need any ground training. Randy is doomed.
6/11/10 11:07 AM
Spidermonkey
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think right about now he is realizing that he might be in over his head.

6/11/10 11:17 AM
ChickendanceThailand

glad to see he is taking it seriously.  At least it looks like he is.  Really interesting fight imo.
6/11/10 11:18 AM
Vinnie G
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I'm sure that standing guillotine of his will come in really handy in practice now.
6/11/10 11:41 AM
kelby

why practise subs from the bottom. learn to get the fuck up. get up even ffrom guys like randy you can get. if people would learn to get up from the bottom. we wouldn't be seeing these 15 25 minutes blanket, lay and pray crap.
6/11/10 12:08 PM
LTL
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**Resists but scooting jokes about Toney**
6/11/10 12:14 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toney is making a big mistake by trying to learn the "ground game."  Once he's on the ground the fight is over.  He needs to concentrate on blasting Couture out within the first minute.
6/11/10 12:17 PM
Platypus

OMA said "Toney via KO in 1:15 of the first" that is what I am going with.
6/11/10 12:17 PM
disbeliever
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy Zimmerman -  Toney is making a big mistake by trying to learn the "ground game."  Once he's on the ground the fight is over.  He needs to concentrate on blasting Couture out within the first minute.

Agreed
6/11/10 12:19 PM
threestars35

Toney is a world class athlete
6/11/10 12:22 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Platypus -  OMA said "Toney via KO in 1:15 of the first" that is what I am going with.

Platypus said "Toney via KO in 1:15 of the first" that is what I am going with.
6/11/10 12:23 PM
ADAMantium
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will we be seeing Toney at the next ADCC?
6/11/10 12:36 PM
Rashad's Official Nipple Tweaker
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you people make me sick...the guy is actually taking this sport seriously and you still have to knock him...I hope he knocks Randy's fat head off
6/11/10 12:41 PM
triso
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why practise subs from the bottom. learn to get the fuck up. get up even ffrom guys like randy you can get. if people would learn to get up from the bottom. we wouldn't be seeing these 15 25 minutes blanket, lay and pray crap.

I probably shouldn't even waste my time responding to this, but really? Really?

More then likely Lister is training Toney mostly in sub-defense, so that he at least has a rudimentary understanding of where he can get in trouble on the ground and how to avoid it.

Serious LOL at "if people would just learn to get up from the bottom". You don't think they're trying to get up? When a superior grappler is holding you down you can't just stand up.

6/11/10 12:43 PM
triso
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you people make me sick...the guy is actually taking this sport seriously and you still have to knock him...I hope he knocks Randy's fat head off

Didn't Toney say a bunch of intentionally offensive shit about MMA fighters and grappling in particular? It's apparent to anyway with a brain that he doesn't take MMA seriously.
6/11/10 12:46 PM
Soup and Beer
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrong person to prepare with on this fight.  The only person I can imagine teaching him the most in the  shortest amount of time is Chuck Liddell.  If he can just get good at getting back to his feet after a takedown then that's the best you can do for one month of training IMHO. 

If he spends the next month learning armbars and gogoplata from Lister, then he should stay home and watch old UFC tapes.
6/11/10 12:47 PM
RocknRolla

its gona be a first time in history that we will see a boxer butt flop.
6/11/10 12:49 PM
Seamus619

So is Toney down here in San Diego?
6/11/10 12:49 PM
Crazy Zimmerman

RocknRolla - its gona be a first time in history that we will see a boxer butt flop.

It is possible that he hasn't faced anyone with Couture's power.
6/11/10 12:57 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is probably learning how to avoid submissions and how to escape from dangerous positions.

No one is expecting him to submit Couture in there.
6/11/10 12:59 PM
Squared Circle
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rumor has it Dean Lister has been unable to secure a sub on James Toney in training.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.