UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Recommend programming language

6/12/10 5:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to pick up a language to automate some scripts and not sure what language to start out with first. what language would you recommend specifically for network guys? I'm not looking to move into software development, I just want to pick up some programming skills that would fit best for networking.
6/12/10 10:44 AM
gsx_r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) shell
2) Python
3) Perl

pros and cons to each.

Shell if you're working in a unix environment is universal. All of the network tools are already on the machine(hping2, nmap, isic, etc)

Python, it's just a great overall language. Easy to use and if you're doing things where you're scanning networks, easy to mess with the data.

Perl, I HATE perl, it simply doesn't fit the way i think. However, it's the most universal language around that isn't compiled. Also has a module to do just about anything. Handles data well, handles everything well. If you had to learn just one language this would probably be it.
6/12/10 6:17 PM
tycoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, i figure perl would be the best choice. how about java?

i'm going to get a book and start learning how to write some scripts tonight. is there an online resource with sample scripts for typical networking automation?
6/12/10 9:30 PM
gsx_r

Java is an Ok language, if it fits your head. I can not learn it, OOP doesn't fit me(i'm at admin don't really need 99% of the stuff java has). It's much much better as a 2nd or 3rd language.

http://learn.perl.org/
http://learn.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/
6/13/10 1:46 PM
OneScoup

Python if you're just scripting stuff IMO.

6/14/10 8:36 AM
gsx_r

tycoon 
i'm going to get a book and start learning how to write some scripts tonight. is there an online resource with sample scripts for typical networking automation?

http://cpan.perl.org/scripts/
6/15/10 12:54 PM
bartos
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For network programming, i would also suggest perl. It's really not so terrible, and their package library is unmatched by any other scripting language. There is literally a library or module for just about anything. And it's all very well documented.

I wouldn't go with any language that you have to compile.
6/21/10 11:05 AM
HardHittingHeeb

ruby
6/23/10 4:42 PM
JOB
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably perl or python for some quick hacks.
6/23/10 8:00 PM
poober
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What environment are you working in?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.