UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Any advice on good places to start...

6/13/10 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bam57Bam
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey bros, Im wanting to start with some jiu jitsu and kickboxing/striking. My main problem is the places I have checked out are filled with douchebag rednecks who want to be "ultimate fighters". Im really trying to avoid those things. I know that not everyone at those places are these types of people but the bad outweighs the good.

I live in Bham AL and have checked Spartan fitness and another place i cant remember. Thats really not the environment Im looking for.

Mainly I just want to be with a cool place/instructor without all the redneck drama of these other places.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Ive been wanting to do this but just could never deal with the main gyms around here.

In no way am I trying to be a fighter or any of that. I just love the sport and want to get involved in some form or fashion without the Mcdojo factor. I am even open for private type lessons if anyone offers these things around here.

Thanks so much guys. 

6/13/10 8:48 PM
Josh J
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you don't mind making a trip to Cullman, Triad definitely isn't "redneck". It's definitely worth checking out.

You may also want to check out AFCBJJ

6/13/10 9:48 PM
Bam57Bam
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha thanks man. Redneck want really the word i was looking for. But you know, the tapout head to toe crown kinda guys.

What is AFCBJJ?
6/13/10 10:51 PM
Josh J

AFCBJJ is a BJJ school in your area. They are a traditional BJJ school. I doubt you will see many tapout shirts or mohawks there.

I knew what you were getting at. I don't like hanging around that crowd either. That's part of the reason I train where I train. It's the exact opposite here.
6/14/10 2:10 PM
Lucian

Thanks for the plug Josh J. You can check out our website (afcbjj.com) for info or you can call Joe (numbers on the website). We teach sport jiu jitsu and practice almost entirely in the gi (definitely no tapout shirts here). We are a small school right now with our main instructor based out of baton rouge at LA Boxing. If you contact him through the website he may be interested in adding you to the team.
Other recommendations would be Triad in Cullman (triadmartialarts.com) or Champions Freestyle Fitness in Vestavia (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Vestavia-Hills-AL/Champions-Freestyle-Fitness/286020179181?v=info) which is more of a boxing oriented gym and has a number of MMA competitors many of whom also train BJJ at our school. I have been to practices at both and can say that they definitely have much to offer. I've also heard good things about Southern BJJ in Childersburg (southernbjj.com) but I have never been to their gym myself.
Good luck, hope you find somewhere to call home.
Lucian H.
afcbjj.com
6/14/10 3:54 PM
Bam57Bam

Thank you so much brother. You"ll be hearing from me!
6/14/10 5:04 PM
manley0702
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're looking for BJJ training in your area, the best place to train is BJJ Revolution. It is close to the UAB campus. It is gi BJJ, and the atmosphere has the respect of a traditional martial art. You won't have to worry about the "badasses" who think they are Chuck Liddell over there. Also, the instructor is a black belt under Rodrigo Madeiros. His name is Samuel Puccio.
6/15/10 3:29 PM
Gladiator Grappling

TTT for AFC BJJ!!
6/20/10 12:40 AM
BlazerinTraining

lol
7/2/10 6:44 PM
Hiza Geri

Alabama Grapplers' Association, Inc
 If you have lunches free, you can come roll with us, too.  Give me a call, 822-7441.  We usually roll from 11- 1 on M, W, F, but we also have sessions on T, TH, too.  If you can only make a portion of the 11-1, it's OK.  We are VERY informal.  The T, TH usually also has Thai, boxing, and mma involved.  Absolutely no rednecks, wanna-bes, or tapout wearing morons have EVER been in attendance.
9/22/10 12:22 PM
headroll
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about in the Huntsville area? Are there any good places like the ones you guys mentioned in the Cullman and B'ham area? Thanks. Phone Post
9/22/10 6:27 PM
Josh J

Triad has a facility in Madison. There is one Machado black belt that teaches there regularly, and Johnny Smith (3rd degree under Machado) teaches there several times a week as well. It's in a new facility. It's the nicest I've seen yet.... anywhere. I'd suggest at least checking it out. You can try a day or two for free.

There is a Carlos Machado seminar there next month.
9/22/10 8:18 PM
FCFBlazer

Just for that Hiza, I'm borrowing BigWorms tapout shirts and walking into your place all swole and wrecking shop! What's up bro? Phone Post
9/23/10 11:54 AM
headroll
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. I also just noticed one that I believe said Triad on the south parkway. Do you know this place? Is it good? Phone Post
9/23/10 12:05 PM
reagan123
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/23/10 12:05 PM
I think you may have misread a sign, there is not a Triad gym located on South Parkway. The only two Triad locations are in Madison and Cullman.
9/23/10 1:55 PM
headroll

You're probably right but I know the gym has a sign advertising bjj, boxing, and kickboxing I believe. It's in the same little plaza as The Sports Page bar. Phone Post
9/23/10 3:16 PM
reagan123
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is Maverick Training Center.
9/23/10 4:03 PM
headroll

Is it a good place for grappling? I used to wrestle but it's been a long time I of course would be a beginner. Does Triad have bjj for beginners? Phone Post
9/23/10 4:09 PM
autospike

Another vote for Samuel Puccio's place. Phone Post
9/23/10 4:38 PM
Im a real boy

Maverick is a great place! The instructor Suzanne is a 3 Stripe Purple Belt under Helio Soneca, a world champion and a founding member of Gracie Barra. He ranks all the students and comes down every two months and teaches. Suzanne also trains her Muay Thai with Israel Gomes, a training partner of Anderson Silva who along with Anderson formed the Killer Bees team that they are both a part of. Israel comes to Maverick every month to teach. Its a very laid back gym, most everyone here trains for fun and exercise, not to become a figher.

www.MaverickTraining.net
www.HelioSoneca.com
9/23/10 5:00 PM
headroll

That's why I would train; exercise and fun. I'm 41 years old so it might be tough on me. I do stay in decent shape cycling around 300 to 400 miles a week a good part of the year. I just need something to complement my cardio both on and off season and I've always wanted to try grappling. Phone Post
9/23/10 5:06 PM
Im a real boy

You are welcome to come by and take a complimentary class.

You can call Suzanne anytime at (256)797-6025
9/23/10 6:09 PM
Josh J

Triad definitely has beginner classes.
9/23/10 6:36 PM
reagan123

Edited: 09/23/10 6:36 PM
Triad has both beginner and advanced classes.

I'm sure location may play a factor in your decision, but no harm in trying out all of the gyms in the area. Hope you decide to give grappling a shot and enjoy it wherever you choose.
9/23/10 8:53 PM
headroll

Thanks for all the good directions. I live close to the corner of drake and whitesburg but I work in research park so I will have to check out both and also see what their times are like. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.