UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Tell me about Ghost Chilies (Bhut Jolokia)

6/14/10 6:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nitecrawler
1829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok so I can't find these fucking things anywhere!!!! Only thing I can find is dried GC's. You can get fucking everything in NYC and I can't find fresh GC's. Was thinking about growing them as I grow Habeneros and Jalepenos, however I've heard that they are a real pain in the ass to grow.

So basically I'm asking, anyone have any experience with growing GC's? Anywhere know where I can get fresh GC's in NYC? I'm assuming it's a little late in the season to try to grow them from a seed which is the only thing I can really find online. Found one place in Cali that sells GC plants, but they are $10 a pop.

P.S. If anyone is ever in NYC go to Panisi bakery down in the village and get a Ghost Chili cupcake. They are fucking amazing.
6/14/10 6:16 PM
Red-Eyed Panty Waist
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have some on farmville for you?
6/14/10 6:20 PM
lionsoul
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phaal:

6/14/10 6:36 PM
Nitecrawler
1829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lionsoul, yeah I saw that episode and it's actually on my to do list to make it to Brick lane(might be actually ging this weekend), I'll make sure I take pics/vid of attempting that shit LOL.

However I'm actually looking for some fresh GC's to use for cooking at home.
6/14/10 7:22 PM
lionsoul

^^^^  I was thinking that perhaps they may know...  my guess is that "The Terror" white chili powder likely has Bhut Jolokia in it.
6/14/10 7:38 PM
HammerHands
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theres a few guys on here who grow them.... Michaelvronsky is a pepper freak..
6/14/10 7:56 PM
GaymidaGaydan
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That did not seem that hot.

I might try that soon.
6/14/10 8:39 PM
Doomsday

Anything over some Jalapeno is too much for me.
6/14/10 8:43 PM
cyberslinger

I bought some dried ones and rehydrated them in a pan with some oil.  Fuck.  Hot as fuck.  Fucking Fuck Fuck Hot.  Oh and your kitchen is like tear gas.
6/14/10 8:59 PM
Combat Vette
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to buy some, but I don't want a full bag.  All of my friends are too pussy to go halves with me.
6/14/10 10:27 PM
Nitecrawler

Combat Vette -  I want to buy some, but I don't want a full bag.  All of my friends are too pussy to go halves with me.

Your not in NYC are you?
6/14/10 10:43 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are almost impossible to find in a brick and mortar store.  The best deal going is chiliplants.com.. I think live plants are like $2.50 each, but you have to buy a minimum of 12.  If you can find a few people to split the order with, it might be your best bet. 

But, yeah, it's probably too late to have started them.  I started all my chilis in February. 

6/14/10 11:01 PM
lionsoul

GaymidaGaydan - That did not seem that hot.

I might try that soon.
I have done it... it is hot as fuck....

6/15/10 12:29 AM
cytribe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Way too hot to eat raw, some amazing sauces you can make with them:

http://www.scorpionchilli.com.au/chilli-sauces.html

With names like "Rectal tears" this place makes awesome sauce.

Oh and this man is my hero:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNAXKoyNXs
6/15/10 10:13 AM
Combat Vette
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nitecrawler - 
Combat Vette -  I want to buy some, but I don't want a full bag.  All of my friends are too pussy to go halves with me.

Your not in NYC are you?
No I'm not man... sorry.  I'm in Mormonville Utah.  You know... where they run the UFC events out of the state because the faggot Mormons won't buy tickets to the show, but will sell out every Sunday game the Jazz have?  Yeah... that place.

6/15/10 10:19 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - They are almost impossible to find in a brick and mortar store.  The best deal going is chiliplants.com.. I think live plants are like $2.50 each, but you have to buy a minimum of 12.  If you can find a few people to split the order with, it might be your best bet. 

But, yeah, it's probably too late to have started them.  I started all my chilis in February. 
<br type="_moz" />

you can overwinter them as a houseplant in the winter if you have a window with decent light. If you get 12 you will want to keep at least 3 and grow them close together for good pollination.
6/15/10 11:41 AM
jodienda
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My cousin who lives on the Big Island tried growing some. For whatever reason, they didn't like Hawaii and he only got a handful of them.

He touched some of the peppers barehanded and got blisters on his skin.

He used some in some of his homemade hot sauces and said that while they do have a great unique flavor, they are really chemical weaponry and almost too much for the human palate.
6/15/10 11:49 AM
GracieDisc
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I grow them. Just recently picked about 45 and dried em up. I never touch them without gloves, and NEVER eat them raw....and I'm a pepper fiend.

They are seriously deadly. No joke.

6/15/10 12:01 PM
GaymidaGaydan
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GracieDisc - I grow them. Just recently picked about 45 and dried em up. I never touch them without gloves, and NEVER eat them raw....and I'm a pepper fiend.

They are seriously deadly. No joke.

What do you do with them?
6/15/10 12:05 PM
snowhazell
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GracieDisc - Where did you get your Bhut Jolokia plant from?
6/15/10 12:07 PM
GracieDisc
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dry them and grind them into powder. I give some away to some friends and family. But I make salsas and chilis all the time. Sometimes I add them to the recipe. it only takes a dash, and I mean a DASH.

Snowy, I got them from a friend of mine. He got them in Hawaii, I believe. He grows them as well.
6/15/10 12:09 PM
kot1k
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ordered seeds a little while ago and have sprouts coming in. I have them in a window. It's a very sunny spot. We shall see what happens.

6/15/10 9:58 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think some of you guys are way overstating how hot they are.  They are somewhere around 4x hotter than a habanero.  That means eating a 1/4 of one is like eating a whole habanero.  Sure, that's hot as hell, but come on.  Whoever said he got a blister on his skin was lying.  There are tons of hot sauces that are in that general range that people use all the time.  In comparison, a habanero is 50x hotter than a jalapeno. 
6/15/10 11:19 PM
BoxingFan

They are freaking hot. East Coast Grill's Hell Night Pasta From Hell is made with them. Man V Food had an episode there. I believe his words were something like "can I get some more milk, or a gun with a bullet" after trying a couple of forks of pasta.

I can handle all forms of habanero heat, but the ghost brings it up a notch. One fork of the pasta = about 5 minutes of watery eyes and flaming mouth. And yes, I go back every time they run Hell Night's and have at it.
6/15/10 11:30 PM
BoxingFan

"That means eating a 1/4 of one is like eating a whole habanero."

Um, no. It's not a cumulative effect. The ghost has higher capsacin levels...it will always be hotter when it hits your mouth. You could eat jalapenos until the cows came home and you would never get the burn that you get from a habanero.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.