UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Tell me about Ghost Chilies (Bhut Jolokia)

6/15/10 11:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/15/10 11:56 PM
Of course it's not a cumulative effect.  I never said it was.  Capsaicin is a specific molecule and the concentration can be measured and mapped, linearly, to the scoville scale.  The reason you can eat jalapenos until the cows come home and it will not be as hot as a habanero is because it's not possible to eat 50 jalapenos simultaneously.  If you extracted the capsaicin from 50 jalapenos and ate it at once, it would be as hot (more or less) as a habanero.  The comparison between 1/4 of a ghost chili and a whole habanero is valid because the quantities concerned are manageable inside your mouth, provided both samples are broken down to equal consistancy and so on.    
6/16/10 8:53 AM
GracieDisc
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - I think some of you guys are way overstating how hot they are.  They are somewhere around 4x hotter than a habanero.  That means eating a 1/4 of one is like eating a whole habanero.  Sure, that's hot as hell, but come on.  Whoever said he got a blister on his skin was lying.  There are tons of hot sauces that are in that general range that people use all the time.  In comparison, a habanero is 50x hotter than a jalapeno. 

Alpo, you ever eaten a whole ghost pepper before?

6/16/10 9:29 AM
MichaelVronsky
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i grew them for the first time 2 summers ago. i didnt pay much mind to them at all and they grew reayy well here in jersey. this year i got another plant and its not looking to great but its still very early in the season.

they are fucking hot. pretty uncomfortable to eat. i've never tasted more than a sliver at a time. with that small of an amount you dont get much of the pepper taste just the heat but i'm a little hesitant to go balls deep so to speak. i actually still have some in my freezer from 2 years ago.
6/16/10 10:04 AM
Hob
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/16/10 12:06 PM
jodienda
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GracieDisc - 
alpo - I think some of you guys are way overstating how hot they are.  They are somewhere around 4x hotter than a habanero.  That means eating a 1/4 of one is like eating a whole habanero.  Sure, that's hot as hell, but come on.  Whoever said he got a blister on his skin was lying.  There are tons of hot sauces that are in that general range that people use all the time.  In comparison, a habanero is 50x hotter than a jalapeno. 

No dude, the oil from a real, off the vine fresh jolokia will actually burn your skin.

Why don't you:

- somehow locate a fresh jolokia
- rub it vigorously between both hands for 2 minutes
- then eat it, after chewing it for a full 90 seconds,then
- post the full 5 minute video of you screaming and running around before you are driven to the hospital

6/16/10 12:32 PM
MichaelVronsky
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i never got burned picking my jolokias. i imagine they might sting if you had a cut or something and rubbed it on there but theyre not much to worry about.
6/16/10 6:06 PM
Nitecrawler
1825 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/16/10 6:08 PM
xXLINDEXx
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Combat Vette -  I want to buy some, but I don't want a full bag.  All of my friends are too pussy to go halves with me.

I'm down Bro Jackson.
6/16/10 6:16 PM
jodienda
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MichaelVronsky -  i never got burned picking my jolokias. i imagine they might sting if you had a cut or something and rubbed it on there but theyre not much to worry about.

My cousin, like the old dude in the vids nitecrawler posted, grew his in Hawaii, which may have ratcheted up the evilness.

He said the jolokias he grew gave him chemical burns on the skin of his hands. I would be careful handling them, and I would never be that stupid to eat an entire jolokia.

No fucking way.
9/12/10 9:18 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingesting something that could cause chemicals burns doesn't like a good idea to me. Can this even realistically be considered food?
9/12/10 8:42 PM
Doomsday
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I learned 2 things...
1. Sugar helps, milk is not the only thing.
2. The pepper always wins!
9/13/10 4:25 AM
Doomsday

CalienTTTe!
9/13/10 12:14 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get redness and burning sensations from handling jalapenos. So I don't doubt that something like the jolokia can burn people's skin and cause blisters.

I like spicy foods, but, for me, something like cholula is plenty hot enough.
9/13/10 4:14 PM
Doomsday

jalapeno's are good enough for me. And very few of those, at that!
7/22/11 12:35 AM
New2MMA
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xXLINDEXx - 
Combat Vette -  I want to buy some, but I don't want a full bag.  All of my friends are too pussy to go halves with me.

I'm down Bro Jackson.

Did you guys ever get to try any?
7/23/11 1:55 PM
Nitecrawler
1825 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I finally ordered some from a dude that imports them down in Texas. Ground them up and have put them in everything from sauce to cupcakes.

I also ate the phaal curry down at Brick Lane Curry house that the man vs. food guy went to. It was hot but not as hot as he made it out to be.

Also when the peppers first came I decided to eat one. Not the smartest thing I ever did. The heat increased exponentially over the course of about 10 minutes to the point where I was as white as chalk and actually felt weak and thought I was going to pass out. And remember this is coming from a guy who collects hot sauces and prides himself on being able to handle anything spicy.

A few minutes later I was sitting on my bathroom floor with my head in the toilet puking it up. As soon as I got it up, about 2 minutes later I felt fine.

Those peppers are fucking evil incarnate, seriously.
7/23/11 4:50 PM
New2MMA
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/17/11 3:36 PM
Cool, I was just wondering. I have been growing my own peppers and making my own hot sauces for years. I am growing the bhut jolokia this year, just wanted to know if you were set.
7/23/11 6:17 PM
Combat Vette
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xXLINDEXx - 

I'm down Bro Jackson.
Hey man, have you been to the hot sauce store @ the Gateway Mall?  It's called Chilli and Max.  You can order ghost peppers through them.  They also have a place up in Park City called It's F'n Hot... on Main Street.
7/23/11 6:18 PM
Combat Vette
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New2MMA - 
xXLINDEXx - 

I'm down Bro Jackson.

Did you guys ever get to try any?
No, we didn't.  I just barely noticed today that he had witten that.

7/24/11 4:53 PM
New2MMA

PM me if you can't get your hands on any.
7/26/11 6:42 PM
thesogwave
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I consider myself to have quite the tolerance to hot stuff but you'd have to be insane to think eating the pepper alone is a good idea. I'll get ahold of some and try them in some chili or something.
9/22/11 1:17 PM
Damasta Shonuff
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its not the hottest pepper anymore. Its behind the Naga Viper Pepper, the Infiniti Chili and the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T peppers.

Just look at the pics of the Scorpion one.. the look of the peppers alone says you are in for a world of hurt: http://thepepperseed.com/peppers/the-worlds-hottest-chilli-pepper-trinidad-scorpion-butch-t/
9/22/11 1:34 PM
BrockbackMountain
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried the Phall curry at brink lane and it sucked.

It was spicy but any more then some habenero things i have had, also it tasted like poop.
9/25/11 11:14 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jodienda - 
GracieDisc - 

No dude, the oil from a real, off the vine fresh jolokia will actually burn your skin.

lolwut

No, it won't, you retard.  I have 2 plants right now.  Yes, I have eaten them whole on a few occasions, but I don't recommend it.  If you are a chilihead and can eat habaneros whole without a problem, then you should be able to handle it, but it will suck pretty bad.  E.g. drinking a half gallon of milk and 24 hour heartburn.  I have also handled them a hundred times and I've never gotten any burns.  

That said, they are really a novelty and I plan on giving my plants away this fall.  I honestly don't like the taste.  Also, if you cook with them, you have to use such a small amount that you can't taste it anyway.

I have a naga viper sauce, from Gerry Fowler himself, that tastes slightly better, straight up, but it is really too hot to use for anything except as an additive, which is sort of pointless.  I have not eaten a naga viper or even seen a live one, for that matter.  Last time I talked to him, he said he wasn't going to sell seeds or live plants at all, to keep it proprietary.  Pretty gay, but whatever.

I realized you posted this 15 months ago and will never read my reply, but oh well.  
11/9/11 11:19 AM
MichaelVronsky

i have an abundance of these fuckers. got the chocolate variety this year and threw one into my regular cayenne/dagger pod mash.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.