UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Non-Admin modify contacts in Active Directory

6/15/10 2:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tycoon
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there anyway I can for instance have an admin assistant do data entry to active directory's user's contact information without giving her permission to create/delete user objects and log into our server?

I was planning to delegate on the OU, but there is only an option to create/delete/modify accounts. I was planning to install adminpak, and create taskpad so she can input the data. What I really just need to be done is data entry for just the contact information for all our employees like telephone #, title, etc.. I don't actually want her logging into the server itself.

The purpose of this is so that if we got a salesperson on the road, and they need to call somebody quick internally, they can simply look in their Outlook client's global contact list.

6/15/10 5:21 PM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Select the OU where you want to delegate the Controls.
2. Right Click OU -> Delegate Control
3. Click next on the first screen.
4. Now Add the user to whom you want to delegate the control. (NexT)
5. Choose the second option (Create a Customer task to delegate)
6. If you are planning to allow the user to only update the User Contact information, then Choose, "Only the following objects in the folder" -> "User Objects" (Last in the list)
Note: Here you can also to give special permission to create/delete the user objects from the OU. (NexT)
7. Choose all that applies on this page. On this page you are giving the permission what all this user can change for all other user under this OU.
8. Finish... And you are done with the delegation.
6/15/10 8:19 PM
tycoon
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks fin. that is exactly what i needed. btw-is it possible to add in an extra field so that it appears in the outlook global address book? let's say for instance I also wanted to put in their AS400 login usernames.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.