UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Purchased 3 books - starting over

6/16/10 11:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After I played the A-T from the BB about as badly as you could play it in Vegas, I decided I needed to start over. I'm going to avoid cash games and play online tournaments as much as possible, plus one live event every month, and study my game with whatever online tools are available (something Ive avoided until now).

I know I misplayed the A-T, but I suspect I misplayed several hands prior to that, as well.

What online tools do you recommend? The books I bought were:

Winning Poker Tournaments 1 hand at a time Vol 1 + 2 and Kill Everyone.

Thanks!
6/18/10 9:57 AM
JHR
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.thepokerbay.org

Who 'buys' anything anymore... ;)
6/19/10 9:32 AM
Naughty Gorilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For tourneys ? Harrington on Hold em
6/22/10 4:32 AM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vol1-2 are awesome  ! 

i havce them both , def great tourney books for how TODAY tournies are played.

times have changed, people play differently.

I have played 5 events so far and have noticed quite a few diffreneces from even two year.

7/11/10 9:38 PM
LLORT8RG

Andre,

Maybe you just need some discipline. I see all of your posts and I think that you lack patience and discipline.
7/16/10 10:50 PM
mpthief
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre,

i remember you were just starting out a few years ago.

you've been at this for a while, and now you are playing in pretty expensive tourneys.

you been able to make a living out of this?
7/16/10 11:40 PM
andre
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mpthief,

No, not yet...Im still a losing player, but Ive won some decent sized live tournaments (one for $5000 and another for $2000, and have cashed in many. Cash games killed me because I was playing way above my bankroll. I think Im a good cash player (live), but to play at the limits I was playing at Id need a bankroll of more than $10,000.

Im primarily playing online now and am going back to the beginning and playing the appropriate limits and avoiding cash games. I will focus only on tournaments.
7/17/10 2:55 AM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - mpthief,

No, not yet...Im still a losing player, but Ive won some decent sized live tournaments (one for $5000 and another for $2000, and have cashed in many. Cash games killed me because I was playing way above my bankroll. I think Im a good cash player (live), but to play at the limits I was playing at Id need a bankroll of more than $10,000.

Im primarily playing online now and am going back to the beginning and playing the appropriate limits and avoiding cash games. I will focus only on tournaments.
Andre there is alot of dead money in tournies plus there are overlays on alot of the smaller sites.

Satelites can be easy and low risk too,  more vcalue for receational player in tournies if he is will ing to do some studying.

7/19/10 3:00 PM
wreckker

Mtt's are where the value is, sit n gos are too easy to master.

mtt's also get people satelitting in ,, many iof them suck.

7/19/10 3:11 PM
SiftMyMind

andre - After I played the A-T from the BB about as badly as you could play it in Vegas, I decided I needed to start over. I'm going to avoid cash games and play online tournaments as much as possible, plus one live event every month, and study my game with whatever online tools are available (something Ive avoided until now).

I know I misplayed the A-T, but I suspect I misplayed several hands prior to that, as well.

What online tools do you recommend? The books I bought were:

Thanks!

I would focus on just Kill Everyone for now and make that book the 'base' of your poker game. Read the stuff, master it and implement it into your game and then look to the see what the results are.

Then, after you have mastered that book, you can use the Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Vol 1 + 2 as a supplement and the basis of making fine-tuning adjustments to your core game (which would be based on Kill Everyone).

If you try and do it all at the same time, you will probably be overwhelmed by all the information and by the conflicting advice.
9/23/10 3:45 PM
SiftMyMind

Andre,

It's been some time now since you said you were going to read these books.

Did reading these books help your game at all? Which book(s) was(were) most helpful?
9/24/10 12:47 PM
andre

Sift,

They were harmful at first because I was clumsily applying the concepts and drifting a bit away from my regular approach, but I keep going back to them and finding more and more concepts that are really helpful. I wasn't crazy about Kill Em All. I am glad I read it because it helps me understand that approach, and perhaps I'll graduate to that level of understanding at some point, but right now it is a bit too foreign to my TAG style.

I get the value of that approach, though...very tough to counter because you have to be willing to put your chips in against an aggressor when you know you only have a small advantage and your tournament life is on the line.
9/24/10 6:21 PM
PoWdA101
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre, I have read over 50 books on poker and I have yet to find what I would call the definitive best book on NL Hold em cash games. There are some notable books on limit but for NL Hold em I really can't suggest anything. I read a lot on other games (razz, omaha, stud, etc...) so if you decide to look outside the hold em table let me know and I can offer up quite a bit of advice. As for hold em knowledge, yeah I have a ton of it but so does everyone and their little sister.

Just noticed this site has a poker section. Allsome.
12/11/10 2:13 AM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 12/11/10 2:17 AM
12/11/10 2:17 AM
SiftMyMind

andre -....I decided I needed to start over....

The books I bought were:

Thanks!

I have been in a poker slump for a while, so I'm taking a break to regroup.

I am going focus on reading Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time Vol 1 + 2 and Kill Everyone, also.

12/11/10 4:11 AM
andre

Kill Phil is horrible, imo.
12/11/10 10:44 PM
SiftMyMind

andre - Kill Phil is horrible, imo.

How did you feel about Kill Everyone?
12/11/10 10:47 PM
SiftMyMind

What is the best book for long ball poker (or that discusses long ball poker)?
12/12/10 3:08 AM
andre

SiftMyMind - 
andre - Kill Phil is horrible, imo.

How did you feel about Kill Everyone?

I liked it much more. I thought Kill Phil was basically a guide to playing blackjack. I get it. I get that it advocates a strategy that maximizes fold equity and gives a beginner a "chance" against the pros, but it's only useful to someone serious about poker for being able to recognize the "kill phil" player, imo.
12/12/10 1:11 PM
kinsey3745
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andre - mpthief,

Glad to see it's not just me. This week makes a year that i've been playing poker. I've read a couple books, Negreanu's: More Hold'em Wisdom for All Players, and Master the Mental Game: Your Worst Poker Enemy. I mainly play micro stakes and have recently began using an HUD and stats tracker. My stats tell me (In my mind) that i'm a decent player. But reading some of the threads has always made me think that i'm far behind where I should be.
12/31/10 8:40 PM
SiftMyMind

andre - Winning Poker Tournaments 1 hand at a time Vol 1 + 2 and Kill Everyone.

I've been working on these books quite a lot recently.
I recommend these books highly.
It's going to take more than one reading of each to truly be able to get the most out of what they are saying.

1/1/11 2:38 PM
wreckker

SiftMyMind - 
andre - Winning Poker Tournaments 1 hand at a time Vol 1 + 2 and Kill Everyone.

I've been working on these books quite a lot recently.
I recommend these books highly.
It's going to take more than one reading of each to truly be able to get the most out of what they are saying.

yep volumes 1@2 very good....volume i ordered but amazon hasnt sent it yet
1/4/11 3:17 PM
SiftMyMind

The Kill Everyone book is no joke of a read!

Some of the stuff I am okay with but some of the math and more difficult concepts are serious mind benders.

………..

Andre,

How well do you understand/apply what you learned in the Kill Everyone book when you are in a tournament?

Thanks

1/4/11 3:37 PM
andre

SiftMyMind - The Kill Everyone book is no joke of a read!

Some of the stuff I am okay with but some of the math and more difficult concepts are serious mind benders.

Andre,

How well do you understand/apply what you learned in the Kill Everyone book when you are in a tournament?

Thanks

Sift,

If we are talking about live tournaments, I think I am hyper aware of stack sizes, shoving ranges, and opportunities to steal or resteal, but I'm unable to do a lot of the math on the fly. That's one area I'm really trying to work on.

When it comes to online, I have a much harder time applying the concepts because I find that the ranges are skewed differently online versus live (I think the book is geared more toward the live player).
3/18/11 1:39 PM
SiftMyMind

andre - Sift,

If we are talking about live tournaments, I think I am hyper aware of stack sizes, shoving ranges, and opportunities to steal or resteal, but I'm unable to do a lot of the math on the fly. That's one area I'm really trying to work on.

Thanks for your response, Andre.

I too am very aware of stack sizes during tournaments.

However, my awareness of shoving ranges, and opportunities to steal or re-steal isn’t good at all.
This is something I want to practice a lot and improve significantly as it is adversely affecting my late stage tournament play.

Any suggestions how I can make this aspect of my game a strength rather than a weakness?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.