UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Making friends with local IT guys(job networking)?

6/16/10 5:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jonesm
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is supposedly an ideal way to find the job you want.

Make friends with guys in the company or field you want to work in, and they tell you what to do to get in (once they are you friends). Stuff like what new skills are needed, what job openings are coming. "Networking" I guess most people would call this kind of thing.

Sounds great, but how to go about meeting these kinds of guys.

First I should explain why I have such a shortage of IT friends but still feel I'm qualified to work in IT (pretty unusual situation to be sure).

I got my BSc. degree in computer science right before the dot com bubble burst way back in 2000. Things got hard for programmers so I decided to leave IT for another field.

That has worked out great for me, but now I'm thinking I might try IT again, and put my degree to better use.

Of course now my skills are definately out of date, however looking on job sites it still looks to me like C++ and Java are still heavily in use. And these were my specialty for sure.

I'm wondering, maybe IT guys would hang out together in some kind of IT club, I'd say IT Union hall if it was another profession. But I remember a total lack of unions back in my day.

Those guys socialize with eachother I'm sure.

I'm a very likable guy, if I could get in with those guys I'm sure they would let me know how to get back in the "game".

Thanks for any help.

Oh ya and I'm in Vancouver Canada in case that makes a difference in any advice.
6/16/10 6:14 PM
Road Warrior Fin
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Search for any type of users group - In a city like Vancouver, I'm sure there are plenty.

6/16/10 7:15 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, for instance there are cisco users groups for folks like fin and I, I'm sure there are similar for programmers. Once you get into the industry you'll make more contacts.
6/17/10 1:05 AM
Road Warrior Fin
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beware of groups just called "technology groups and geeks group"

I tried to go to two different ones in Nashville and it was a bunch of Apple users who fucking have titles like "social media experts" and "internet photographer" and "blogger"

I've never wanted to kill so many people at once in my life. 
6/17/10 10:10 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hahaha!

"What do you do?"

"I build high speed and bandwidth redundant networks, firewalls, tune IPS and the usual stuff. How bout you?"

"Thats totally cool, I blog about MW2 and take pics of random girls at the mall!"
6/17/10 9:02 PM
jonesm
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds good.

Thanks guys,

My problem is I'm a little scared because I've been out of the biz for so long.

Lets face it, I probably won't have a clue for a while.

But I was a kick ass programmer back in the 90's, I'm sure it won't take me long to learn how things are done nowadays.

But there is no way around it, I'm going to be a bit clueless to start off. Not where I like to be.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.