UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Karate College 2010 - June 24-27, Radford, VA

6/16/10 6:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Khun Kao
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/16/10 7:08 PM

I know, I know... "Karate" College, right?

This year is going to be special! I have been a "semi" regular guest instructor at this yearly seminar. For those of you who aren't "in the know", the annual "Karate College" seminar is a weekend-long martial arts seminar held in Radford, VA. It features some pretty well-known named instructors such as Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Joe Lewis, and Renzo Gracie. This years seminar features Wallace and Gracie, as well as UFC fighter Matt Serra.

I have been participating in this seminar as a Muay Thai coach off and on for over 15 years. I have watched this seminar evolve from being predominantly Karate based, to the inclusion of Boxing, the beginning stages of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and submission grappling, until now when it is a full-fledged MMA seminar.

(Don't get me wrong! While this is an MMA seminar, it is still heavily Karate-centric.)

Over the course of the last 7 years, I have come to understand through the grapevine that I am actually one of the most popular instructors at the seminar. Despite this, I'm not "invited" back on a regular basis....

Why is that?

To be 100% honest, its all about money. Despite my popularity, the event simply doesn't make any money by bringing me in to teach.

Huh?

That used to puzzle me, too! But the reality is that the "metrics" show that the same number of people are going to attend the seminar whether I'm there or not. The coaches that get the yearly "nod" are the ones whose students sign up in droves each year....

The problem I've experienced year in and year out is that none of my own students EVER show interest in this seminar, despite its evolution to becoming more and more an MMA-based seminar. Names like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Renzo Gracie, Mark Hatmaker, and Matt Serra *still* don't influence them enough to sign up!

*sigh*

Oh well. The fact of the matter is that this year, I *have* been invited back, and as a special treat to all who participate in my classes, I will be assisted by Dave Carter who coaches with me at NOVA MMA in Arlington, VA. We are sadistically planning a tortuous workout for those brave enough to sign up for our "Fighters Workshop" on Friday morning (June 25th).

Anyway, while I realize that it's unlikely any of you will be attending, I would really enjoy to meet you there. If not, stay tuned. I will try to collect as much photographic evidence and video footage of the event as I can.....

www.AIKIA.net
www.NOVAMMA.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.