UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Flinching...What to do?

6/16/10 8:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chtdrmn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT warning!

I was just curious as to what some of you guys have done to remedy the flinching problem that many people have when there are punches being thrown in their face.  For example, some people flinch when a jab is flashed in their face and others only when the 3rd and 4th shot of a combination come their way.  With myself, I used to be one of the guys who flinched at the thought of a jab being thrown.  Once I learned to parry properly, I am now able to stay focused on the target and behind my guard.  When I do spar boxing only, I feel secure that way, but when I am kickboxing, I tend to tense up in an "Oh shit, WTF" mode because I know that somewhere a kick is about to come my way.  I can check kicks great when I don't have any fists of fury in my face.  I can even do it in small 2 punch combinations, but,for example, once the double jab, straight right, left hook, right round kick combination comes I shell up like a helpless turtle and brace myself for that kick.  I start lifting my leg up too early and too high, and it gets lit up as soon as I plant to catch my balance or they adjust the kick lower and smash my ankle and drive it into my back leg.  All of this derives from that small flinch I take and shell up on the 3rd or 4th punch which leaves me extremely vulnerable for the leg kick.  What are some things you all have done or think about to help get you out of this extremely bad habit.  It seems like a mental thing to me because I feel like I am over anticipating the round kick to the leg and it causes me to shell up like there is nothing I can do to stop it.  Like I mentioned earlier, in boxing it is fine because I look out from behind my guard to watch for a hand to not go back to the chin, and I fire away to break up the flurry and gain some distance.  Theorectically, it would seem like that would be the thing to do in kickboxing, but every time I do it and commit to a punch to break the attack, I get the every living piss kicked out of me.  I spar with a bunch of pro's who do take it really easy on me, and only attack when I give them an opening which leads to all of this.  With the lesser experienced guys that I spar with this isn't much of an issue because their timing and distance is all off and they either over commit when they engage so I can clinch up, turn them, and break free to grab some space.  Anyway, sorry for the long post, FRAT, I know.  If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
6/17/10 2:26 AM
Ray Elbe
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...one of the drills the Thai's do at the gym.

The make you fill a bucket of clean water and put your fingers in it.

Moving your head 2-3 inches from the water you splash the water towards your eyes...and try to keep your eyes open the entire time.

Personally...I think it all comes down to sparring.
6/17/10 7:38 AM
Khun Kao
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a drill for this exact thing. I have the guys put on heavy gloves and get up in each other's grill. They exchange 4 punches. Body - Body - Shoulder - Shoulder.

The two body punches are kinda like shovel punches... then the two hooks are thrown at their partners shoulders.

This drill is done full power - full speed.

You have to stand toe-to-toe. The fighter defending has to keep their guard up and actually press close to the attacker in an effort to jam their punches. The defender should also be trying to "roll" with the punches.

The attacker should be trying to create space as they are attacking (forces the defender to keep pressing in to jam the punches).

After the fighters have gotten comfortable with the drill, you progress to body-body-head-head.

In the beginning, a strict pattern is followed.

Left to the body/head
Right to the body/head
Left to the shoulder/head
Right to the shoulder/head

As the drill progresses, the fighters begin to mix these 4 punches up.

One of the primary goals of this drill is to overcome gunshyness and flinching.
6/17/10 10:07 AM
Normal MT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and your sparring with Pro's who dont give you the benifit of not being on their level. Either tell them to tone it down a notch or find somebody on your level to train with.
6/17/10 11:37 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Elbe - ...one of the drills the Thai's do at the gym.

The make you fill a bucket of clean water and put your fingers in it.

Moving your head 2-3 inches from the water you splash the water towards your eyes...and try to keep your eyes open the entire time.

Personally...I think it all comes down to sparring.

Just make sure it isn't the water they clean their ass with.
6/17/10 11:53 AM
chtdrmn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely implement them. As far as the comment concerning the pros I spar with, they do tune things down to my level. Majority of the other guys that are available to spar are the typical wang and bang guys who swing for the fences and have no concept of viewing sparring as a practice session. I do spar them sometimes but boxing only. Very few people in my area kickbox. My sparring partners basically baby me and hold back on their speed and power. They have been intentionally just flashing stuff in my face to break me of this habit but it hasn't been working. That is why I came here to ask for some advice on other ideas. I greatly appreciate the replies. Thanks.
6/23/10 2:48 PM
ChangoBravo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/23/10 4:04 PM
Bankable

I thought this drill helped me keep my eyes open and not flinch, may not help with kicks tho.

clasp hands behind back and have partner throw: jab, cross, hook, hook.

first establish a pattern: slip, slip, duck, lean back.

then increase speed of punches, then start throwing random punches.

6/24/10 6:00 PM
CALI NATIVE

TheTakeover - Do a lot of light, almost playful and timing sparring.

This works.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.