UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> ATTN: STEVE72

6/17/10 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a tax question. My girlfriend is on my employer sponsored health plan as a "domestic partner" (thank you gays). At my old firm, the entire premium was deducted pre-tax. At my new firm, they take the portion of the premium for her (which is the bulk of it) after tax.

They claim this is required by the IRS. Some googling tells me that they are probably right, but I wanted to check as my last firm had a pretty decent tax practice so it would surprise me if they were fucking it up there.

Thanks.
6/18/10 10:09 AM
Steve72
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/18/10 10:12 AM
They are correct, unless she is a Section 152 dependent.

It's not surprising that your old firm was fucking it up, since a large number of companies do (HR doesn't always talk to the tax folks. They just enter the number of dependents in their HRIS spoftware, and bingo! Tax problems just like magic)
6/18/10 10:48 AM
Fake Pie
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for confirming it. Sucks for me but right is right.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.