UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> Anxiety

6/21/10 2:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CALI NATIVE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I arrive home after a long shift, it takes at the very least an hour or so before I let my "guard" down and even begin to unwind.

I often feel the need for solitude and it's often accompanied by severe anxiety. Anyone else experience this? Can anything be done about it?
6/23/10 5:16 PM
Oldcop
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I kind of understand how you feel. We work 12 hour shifts and I am an FTO, so when I get off of work I don't feel anxiety but I do not want to talk to anybody for the rest of the evening. I work in LA and between talking to my probationer, handling citizen's problems, and dealing with suspects, I do not want to talk very much. I do find that working out after work (either martial arts or weights) does help me. Maybe you should try it. I do find that when driving home from work that I have to turn off the cop in me. I see people that I want to stop and I have to remind myself that I am now off duty. The positive side to your question is that it is a good thing to not let your guard down after work. More than one officer has been followed from work by a suspect. Always keep your guard up! Good luck.
6/23/10 11:20 PM
CALI NATIVE

Thank you for the advice sir!
7/23/10 12:47 AM
TheClutch

Without getting too gratuitous; RELATIONS (or a good fwap if the previous is not an option). Has worked the past 8 years for me. Just sayin...

Working out in some capacity (as stated above) is also a good way.
7/25/10 12:41 AM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cali--- I know what you are feeling. I have 18 years on my dept. Run MMA classes, run my local PAL club, and try to spend time with the wife. BUT...when I get home at 11 PM...I dont want to hear shit...just want to watch some TV and relax for a while.
7/25/10 1:52 PM
Team Python
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People have no idea what a Cop has to go through for 10 or more hours each day.

Shit an average person alone could not handle driving a unit, listening to the unit radio, paying attention to the MDC and looking out for suspicious activity all at the same time for a whole shift plus having to deal with incidents such as someone blowing their brains out, a baby getting ejected from a car during a traffic collision or fighting a gangbanger high on Meth.

So after a long shift I all I wanted to do was chill out and be by myself....no one around and no loud noise.

8/8/10 10:54 AM
pfsjkd
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a decent book by Dr. Lawrence Blum called 'Force Under Pressure'.  He's a psychologist that deals primarily with law enforcement.  It deals with some of this stuff and also with very high stress events like being shot/stabbed/etc. 

I got the book after attending a seminar that Dr. Blum gave to the San Diego Sherrif's Dept.  The guy is pure awesomeness in person.  Loud New York City guy who loves cops.  The book may seema bit touchy feely but it has some pretty good info on the neurological workings of the stress you guys are talking about and how to combat it.  And if you ever get the chance to hear him speak, do NOT pass it up.  The guy spoke for about 4 hours straight and held everyone's attention the entire time.

1/22/11 2:23 AM
VARIOUS

Cali you have mma.tv mail
2/6/11 12:19 PM
CALI NATIVE

Thank you brethren for the advice.
2/12/11 4:41 PM
effinggoof
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The book Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement by Kevin Gilmartin is a must read, and he goes into great detail about the whole "zoneing out" after your shift phenomenon.

I have a couple of extra copies that I would happily mail out to anyone who wants them.
5/1/11 1:25 AM
VARIOUS

LINK TO CLIFF NOTE VERSION: Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement
5/30/11 9:53 AM
CALI NATIVE

^^Excellent stuff! Thank you!^^
6/12/11 5:38 PM
FJJ828
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team Python - People have no idea what a Cop has to go through for 10 or more hours each day.

Shit an average person alone could not handle driving a unit, listening to the unit radio, paying attention to the MDC and looking out for suspicious activity all at the same time for a whole shift plus having to deal with incidents such as someone blowing their brains out, a baby getting ejected from a car during a traffic collision or fighting a gangbanger high on Meth.

So after a long shift I all I wanted to do was chill out and be by myself....no one around and no loud noise.

Truthfully, you could change "could not" to "would not" and it would be just as truthful and not ruffle the feathers of most cop critics.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.