UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Setting up a Print Server?

6/23/10 5:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ferox13
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Currently I have a computer on my network with new Printers attached (a Canon Ip4600 and a Brother Laser).

Now I wasnt to teach myself a bit about WIndows Server 2003 and wanted to use this machine as a print server. Unfortunally there doesn't seem to be Canon Drivers for that machine?

Its there a way around this? If the Server machine recognises the Canon Printer (but has no drivers for it) - will machines on the net work (with drivers) be able to print on the Canon...

Thanks..
6/23/10 9:05 AM
gsx_r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The print server will need the drivers. No drivers no work.

However any machine can be a print server.
6/23/10 9:03 PM
ferox13
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/10 9:05 PM
It seems XP drivers will work for 2003 - so i'll give that a try...

Yeah I already have a XP machine set up as a Print server but wanted to change it to a Server 2003 PC..
6/23/10 10:11 PM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't you need AD services running in order to utilize w2k print server features so you can easily have it indexed when you search for it and automatically install the drivers?
6/24/10 4:35 AM
ferox13

Edited: 06/24/10 7:37 AM
Road Warrior Fin -  Don't you need AD services running in order to utilize w2k print server features so you can easily have it indexed when you search for it and automatically install the drivers?

I'm just starting this project now to learn about Server 2003, so i'm completely new to this but I did some googling though and there seems to be a wizard for settting 2003 up as a Printserver (there seems to be no mention of having Active Directory installed already):

By default, a Windows Server 2003-based computer is installed with Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP.

Am i missing something here?

How To Install and Configure a File and Print Server in Windows Server 2003

EDIT-

Ahh - I have to have active directory installed for the stuff i wanna do anyway..

I knew you were right somehow :-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.