UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Presidents Cup review

6/27/10 9:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just returned from coaching at the P/C. Most impressive division was 66K where the finals won by Kyle Taketa vs Leanardo Victoria (Tech judo)went the 5 min. Rematch of their semi bought at the Nationals where Leanardo won. 81K was won by Fernandez (Miami). Beat everyone convincingly. 73K was won by David Torres against our Nicolae Ivan by choke out. Nicolae is from Romania, ex National,European cup winner, retired (31), wife 2 kids. He fought Porras in the semi's and Poras grabbed the leg in an all out exciting match and received hansokumake. Please change this rule to shito. Damian Ohara won the 100K with a nice drop kata garuma(no leg). Damian comes so close to the winners circle at the nationals but this day was his. Had a chance to chat with Josh Oneil who was coaching along with Irwin from Cohen's judo.
6/27/10 9:57 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Orange County Judo Training Center, OCJudo.com Team
 Thanks. By any chance did you attend yesterday? Allison Clifford won the -78kg division. She is at SJSU, but started at our club. I was wondering how she looked in case you saw her matches.

Kyle Taketa, is one of my absolute favorite young judo players from So Cal. The kid eats, breathes and lives judo 24/7.  I don't know anyone who trained harder than this kid in the area for at least the last 5 years. I think he just graduated high school. If he leaves the area for college, whatever program gets him will have scored a major coupe.

How about the turnout? Last year was very small, and I heard this year was expected to be small as well.

6/27/10 11:07 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5 medals (1 gold 4 silvers) southern california/ nanka at p/c: david honda 55kg -silver, crystal butts 57kg-silver, Kyle Taketa 66kg -gold,Vanessa Calimquim 44kg-silver, Amelia Fulgentes 52kg-silver. really good considering everyone is 15 or 16, except kyle. I like kyle but he needs to improve in groundwork and when he if does 2016 olypmics is in reach.
6/27/10 11:08 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OCJudoTrngCtr -  Thanks. By any chance did you attend yesterday? Allison Clifford won the -78kg division. She is at SJSU, but started at our club. I was wondering how she looked in case you saw her matches.

Kyle Taketa, is one of my absolute favorite young judo players from So Cal. The kid eats, breathes and lives judo 24/7.  I don't know anyone who trained harder than this kid in the area for at least the last 5 years. I think he just graduated high school. If he leaves the area for college, whatever program gets him will have scored a major coupe.

How about the turnout? Last year was very small, and I heard this year was expected to be small as well.

6/28/10 8:55 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To OCTC and Gbutts- did not see the Allison Clifford matches, sorry. Did see G. Butts daughter. It was the toughest ladies div and I was coaching one of our fighters. All national level players. Turnout was small because of the international tournament in El Salvador. Masters was small, nice to see they added novice. Ist class run tournament. Finals were 1 hr after 3rd place finals. Isn't David Torres from Cali? He is just a "hair" behind DelPoppolo and Eldred. Porras is still a young "kid" at 17, I talked to him after. Nursing a bad elbow from a recent international tournamnet. Totally commited to judo.
6/28/10 5:16 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Takeda is going to stay in LA for awhile. He wants to see how his training will be from here if he can do a few things diffrently. He is on a solid conditioning program now and is making changes to his Judo that will hopefully help him be a more effective senior.

He is only 18 and needs to make an educated decision for himself rather than rushing into something that he later regrets but already spent a lot of money on.
6/28/10 9:29 PM
judoblackbelt

Josh, suprized Taketa wasn't fighting at the El Salvador world cup. Did anyone notice Bobby Lee is back? He beat Aaron Cohen at this tournament. I talked to him at the Senior Nationals, he was wearing a leg cast from a recent ankle injury and was disappointed he couldn't play. But he was confident he would of did well. Training with Pedro.
6/29/10 1:19 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lee moved up to 90kg. I think he had a great amount of growing to accomplish. He must be in his early 20's now, so moving up from 73kg to 90kg might have been unavoidable for him.

I am not sure why Kyle selected the events he did. Him and his dad do that. Honestly, I wouldn't have advised him to go to El Salvador either. These points will be reduced greatly by the time the Olympics are determined. If anything, I'd suggest anybody his age go only to events with solid training camps attached to them.

but, then again.. WTF do I know.. I am just a juxtaposed, bully of an asswipe I guess. =)
6/29/10 7:59 AM
gbutts

judoblackbelt - To OCTC and Gbutts- did not see the Allison Clifford matches, sorry. Did see G. Butts daughter. It was the toughest ladies div and I was coaching one of our fighters. All national level players. Turnout was small because of the international tournament in El Salvador. Masters was small, nice to see they added novice. Ist class run tournament. Finals were 1 hr after 3rd place finals. Isn't David Torres from Cali? He is just a "hair" behind DelPoppolo and Eldred. Porras is still a young "kid" at 17, I talked to him after. Nursing a bad elbow from a recent international tournamnet. Totally commited to judo.

i was able to go i had to work. crystal really pissed because she got dq for a head drive, she said that pauline force the head drive from a hip block, but she all the other matches by ippon. working out with ronda is really help her move into senior competion. i don't why more socal people come out train with us $10 for a weekend of 9 hours judo, sambo, and bjj taught by olympic and world judo medalist, bjj blackbelt pan am and no gi world medalist. and old grumpy people like me.
6/29/10 8:01 AM
gbutts

gbutts - 
judoblackbelt - To OCTC and Gbutts- did not see the Allison Clifford matches, sorry. Did see G. Butts daughter. It was the toughest ladies div and I was coaching one of our fighters. All national level players. Turnout was small because of the international tournament in El Salvador. Masters was small, nice to see they added novice. Ist class run tournament. Finals were 1 hr after 3rd place finals. Isn't David Torres from Cali? He is just a "hair" behind DelPoppolo and Eldred. Porras is still a young "kid" at 17, I talked to him after. Nursing a bad elbow from a recent international tournamnet. Totally commited to judo.

okay left out alot words and mispelled alot but i just got from 22 hour shift
i was able to go i had to work. crystal really pissed because she got dq for a head drive, she said that pauline force the head drive from a hip block, but she all the other matches by ippon. working out with ronda is really help her move into senior competion. i don't why more socal people come out train with us $10 for a weekend of 9 hours judo, sambo, and bjj taught by olympic and world judo medalist, bjj blackbelt pan am and no gi world medalist. and old grumpy people like me.

6/30/10 8:49 AM
judoblackbelt

Thanks for all the comments, next event I will be at is World Cup/US Open , Aug 27/28 in Miami.
7/1/10 4:45 AM
JoshuaResnick

gbutts... i can give you lots of reasons why... but 2 will suffice for me..

1. I battle LA traffic 5 days a week. I am not dealing with it on weekends unless I must.

2. My wife & kids are way more fun to be around.

and, as an answer as to why others might not come very much... this is LA and it is very political and very backstabbing and I am sure you can figure stuff out for yourself from there, plus look what just happened to the JA again.

personally, i am going to stick to doing my own thing for awhile at my own pace and that's that. if it takes me away from my wife and kids it'd better be making it worth my time. maybe this year i will bring a few kids to a tournament or two, but that's it.
7/4/10 8:42 PM
gbutts

JoshuaResnick - gbutts... i can give you lots of reasons why... but 2 will suffice for me..

1. I battle LA traffic 5 days a week. I am not dealing with it on weekends unless I must.

2. My wife & kids are way more fun to be around.

and, as an answer as to why others might not come very much... this is LA and it is very political and very backstabbing and I am sure you can figure stuff out for yourself from there, plus look what just happened to the JA again.

personally, i am going to stick to doing my own thing for awhile at my own pace and that's that. if it takes me away from my wife and kids it'd better be making it worth my time. maybe this year i will bring a few kids to a tournament or two, but that's it.

Josh, niether one of us compete anymore, i'm talking out people who send all this money to go a clinic on weekends because someone is visiting from another counrty or someone did this or that in judo, sambo, and bjj because want to be better when we only charge 10 dollars for 9 hours of training with some of the best competitors in each grappling art. If ronda or sam went any else in U.S. they could easily charge 100+ . if southern cali doesn't take advantage of this opportunity shame on them. Ronda won't be here next year, we agreed that she needs send more time training in MMA and Sam's club is growing each day.
7/7/10 4:27 AM
JoshuaResnick

i basically already told you why people will not go. it is politics. some very ugly political things have happened, and continue to happen, and NANKA is a very political beast. even within a lot of judo clubs there is a ton of politics.

personally, i won't go because i am not giving up hours of my family time for something that does not pay me money to help me support my family. i will have nothing to do with being a member of any club or devoting a ton of time to a club that does not fit into the mold for my family.

Before my daughter became sick we were taking her to OCJTC in Anahiem and we plan to take her back there once she is given the green light. Close by the house, very friendly, egoless, no politics, very solid and age appropriate Judo. perfect for what I am looking for with my family.

Judo in LA is so political they'd rather see kids quit Judo in high school then try to start a real college program in the area that can maybe produce olympic athletes, or send their kids to SJSU just a few hours north... Why? Ego. They think they deserve all the credit and all the accolades and won't really support something that is not 100% under their own control.

My point is simple-- you cannot complain about people not showing up or this or that when you understand the people involved-- on all sides.
7/8/10 12:09 AM
gbutts

JoshuaResnick - i basically already told you why people will not go. it is politics. some very ugly political things have happened, and continue to happen, and NANKA is a very political beast. even within a lot of judo clubs there is a ton of politics.

personally, i won't go because i am not giving up hours of my family time for something that does not pay me money to help me support my family. i will have nothing to do with being a member of any club or devoting a ton of time to a club that does not fit into the mold for my family.

Before my daughter became sick we were taking her to OCJTC in Anahiem and we plan to take her back there once she is given the green light. Close by the house, very friendly, egoless, no politics, very solid and age appropriate Judo. perfect for what I am looking for with my family.

Judo in LA is so political they'd rather see kids quit Judo in high school then try to start a real college program in the area that can maybe produce olympic athletes, or send their kids to SJSU just a few hours north... Why? Ego. They think they deserve all the credit and all the accolades and won't really support something that is not 100% under their own control.

My point is simple-- you cannot complain about people not showing up or this or that when you understand the people involved-- on all sides.

I known these people for over 18 years I have trained with them and trained alot of them, coach them and their kids. I already know about how political Nanka can be and how some people egos are but those days need to come to end and if someone doesn't complain or speak-up then things won't change. I get along with just about everyone and don't care who gets the credit. If people dont come than that their problem those that do come will get better and better. Josh there are also other things invovle, my point is why would you spend alot of money because someone is in town when people who are just as good or better than that person are already here but you take advantage of it. We have only been open for two years now but are bjj, judo, sambo, no gi, and wrestler are improve greatly, so if we maintain 20 stable players than i'm happy.
7/9/10 1:56 AM
JoshuaResnick

Edited: 07/09/10 1:36 PM
i don't disagree with you that there is no need to bring in a guy like Jeon to teach white belts and intermediates. but to suggest that there are people in LA who are just as good is also wrong-- there simply are none who are anywhere near his level in all of LA, a only maybe a few in the entire USA-- Swain, Pedro, Morris, Asano, Berland are the only ones I can truly put anywhere near that competitive level.<br />

<br />So, the reason you pay a lot for those moments are to see the best possible example of technical Judo that you can. I spent many a year in San Jose watching Swain, picking his brain, training and devoting myself as much as I possibly could and could not to this day make any technique look even half as wonderful as he can without even trying.<br />

<br />I have watched your daughter compete a few times. She fights hard. But, in the end, the simple truth is that because LA has had such a neglectful past in terms of developing serious senior level players in the manner that they should have, young girls like your daughter end up in situations where they either must leave LA to get the training they need or stay and potentially see others surpass them who do make those decisions to move to another location for more advanced training. This isn't a slight on what you guys are tyring to do, in fact I think your efforts are commendable and exactly what LA needs. <br />

<br />If others in LA cared as much, and had no ego, you'd have a team of 100 strong training as they do at SJSU. <br />

<br />I have two young kids. I have no idea what their futures will hold in terms of Judo. But I have seen, done and learned enough to know that if they want to reach the Olympics, or even become the best competitve Judokas they possibly can, that there is no way they can stay near their home and do it. I believe that athletes need to be completely isolated from the comforts of their former lives in order to truly learn to devote themselves to their athletic pursuits. <br />

<br />Again, I am not saying what you are doing is no good. I just see it differently. We have a difference in philosophy. I do hope that your program takes off and you have all the success you can handle.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.