UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo in torrance?

6/30/10 12:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LetsTalkItOut
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

21 years old, I live in Torrance, and looking to train hard. Eager to learn and compete. Anyone recommend a place that has a good environment for me?
7/1/10 4:36 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gardena Judo Club. OCJTC in Anahiem. Norwalk Judo Club.

You cannot train hard until you know wth you are doing, but that can come fairly fast.
7/1/10 3:12 PM
LetsTalkItOut
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - Gardena Judo Club

I hear a lot about them, but I see they have a 3 year waiting list. Can anyone give me some extra info on the dojo?
7/2/10 12:30 AM
creekwarrior2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

South Bay Judo Wilson Park on Tuesday and Thursday nights
7/4/10 4:00 PM
greenhornet
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LetsTalkItOut - 
JoshuaResnick - Gardena Judo Club

I hear a lot about them, but I see they have a 3 year waiting list. Can anyone give me some extra info on the dojo?

Is that really true? I've never heard of a waiting list for judo.
7/4/10 4:36 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They have a waiting list for kids from what i understand. not sure if it is the same for adults.
7/4/10 5:01 PM
LetsTalkItOut

South BayJC and GardenaJC is really close to where I live and was wondering if anyone had any insight to these dojos. What kind of style or type of places are they? Not sure what to ask, just looking for a place that's has a good program for adults.

I'm flying out tomorrow and won't be back for awhile. Just thought it would be good to get an idea of these places before I go about checking them out. Also does judo clubs have free trial classes like they usually do in bjj?
7/4/10 8:07 PM
JSho
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie Academy on Artesia Boulevard - the sign on the front may say Jiu Jitsu but it is Judo really ;o)
7/4/10 8:25 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LetsTalkItOut - South BayJC and GardenaJC is really close to where I live and was wondering if anyone had any insight to these dojos. What kind of style or type of places are they? Not sure what to ask, just looking for a place that's has a good program for adults.

I'm flying out tomorrow and won't be back for awhile. Just thought it would be good to get an idea of these places before I go about checking them out. Also does judo clubs have free trial classes like they usually do in bjj?

I have visited, trained,teach and coach at both clubs niether clubs teach matwork; however, Gardena will give you a strong standing foundation and they have lots of visiting adults to practice with and lots of blackbelts. Southbay is a kids club. I and both have a very small monthly fee and no waiting list for adults. join gardena, once you get a insurance card for one of the judo governing body you can visit any judo club (95% of them for free)
7/4/10 9:57 PM
LetsTalkItOut

Edited: 07/04/10 10:06 PM
<blockquote>gbutts - however, Gardena will give you a strong standing foundation and they have lots of visiting adults to practice with and lots of blackbelts. Southbay is a kids club. I and both have a very small monthly fee and no waiting list for adults. </blockquote>

That actually sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I know judo involves ground technique but I'm really interested in learning the standing aspect of it, especially the foot techniques.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKH1Y9jx7M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhoxmn4wqPk
Wow!

I saw after a few one time fees, it works out to $20 a month. That's incredible, I think I need a break from $100+ a month. After a few years it takes it's toll.
7/5/10 12:49 AM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LetsTalkItOut - <blockquote>gbutts - however, Gardena will give you a strong standing foundation and they have lots of visiting adults to practice with and lots of blackbelts. Southbay is a kids club. I and both have a very small monthly fee and no waiting list for adults. </blockquote>

That actually sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I know judo involves ground technique but I'm really interested in learning the standing aspect of it, especially the foot techniques.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKH1Y9jx7M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhoxmn4wqPk
Wow!

I saw after a few one time fees, it works out to $20 a month. That's incredible, I think I need a break from $100+ a month. After a few years it takes it's toll.

We also incorporate sambo, no gi grappling, wrestling,and bjj into our judo. The cost is $10 on saturday and $5 on sunday. Come on by and try it out (free for the first visit). By the way, Josh if you are still in town saturday, you are invited to come and workout with Ronda, Annmarie, Sam Garcia(Bjj blackbelt), me(gbutts) and ohters at the west coast judo training center. Practice is 1:00 to 11:30am (conditioning and drills) and 1:00 to 4:00pm (judo techiques, 1 hour of groundwork, and 1hour of randori).<br /><br />The address is 537 vine street west covina (Garcia Bjj)
7/5/10 12:51 AM
gbutts

the new times are 12:30 to6:00pm om sat and 3 to 6pm on sunday all two days for $10
7/5/10 1:49 AM
LetsTalkItOut

Can you explain this a bit more?

West Coast training center only operates during the weekends?
Anyone is invited? $10 sat and $5 sun but both days together is $10?

Sounds like a great supplement on top of someone's regular training.
7/6/10 3:03 AM
gbutts

LetsTalkItOut - Can you explain this a bit more?

West Coast training center only operates during the weekends?
Anyone is invited? $10 sat and $5 sun but both days together is $10?

Sounds like a great supplement on top of someone's regular training.

sunday is only three hours of a hour 1/2 of no gi grappling(standing and ground) and one hour judo skill/techique and 1/2 hour of knee/ ankle submission.

Saturday is conditioning drils 12:30 to 2:00, 2:00 to 3:00 lunch and 3pm to 6pm judo drills/techique 20 3minute rounds of matwork, one hour randori

yes it is open everyone even kids only $5 on sunday because we are only there for three hours we don't chagre for sunday if you paid on saturday

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.