UnderGround Forums

Jen >> MBF first aid = bad ass

6/30/10 3:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last night in BJJ class, a student of mine got her elbow severely hyperextended. It was an accident in which another student was sweeping her and her arm got caught in a odd position. The worst part was as she screamed for him to stop and get off, the odd position that they were in made it so the only way he could get off her arm caused her arm to hyperextend even more. She said she heard numerous cracks and pops in her elbow.

I eventually had her lay down in a particular position and focus on breathing in order to calm her down and get over the initial shock of the injury. As she calmed down, she said that her elbow started to hurt and she started to feel some numbness/tingling in two of her fingers. Since she had done MBF with me in the past, I am familiar with her posture in general and I am also familiar with generally what happens to the body when injuries like this happen.

As many of you know, I do not believe in the typical rest, ice, compression, elevation (RICE) when it comes to dealing with injuries. So I created a "first aid" MBF program for her. I ran her through the program and when she was done, she said that she no longer had the same pain in her elbow and the numbness/tingling was gone. Just for safe measure, I ran her through her program one more time before she went home and she did the program on her own again right before she went to bed.

Any athlete who has had a severe injury knows that many injuries feel worse the next morning once the body has cooled down and the adrenaline has worn off. I warned her that she may possibly worse in the morning and to do her program as soon as she wakes up. Interestingly, because she did the first aid program 3 times right after the injury, she said her elbow did not hurt worse in the morning. She was actually surprised how good she felt as she thought she would be in worse situation. While her elbow hurts if she locks her elbow out in full extension or in full contraction, she says that she doesn't have excessive swelling and is able to function pretty normally in regular life. She did her program first thing in the morning and said that her elbow feels better each time she does it.
6/30/10 10:43 PM
le0nidis

Damn! Thank goodness! I totally felt bad after that incident. I'm glad she is doing better.
7/1/10 5:34 PM
Eel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long do you recommend that
someone waits before repeating
their MBF menu? Assuming she
was going to do it multiple times
per day. Does she need to wait
15 minutes per session, an hour...?
7/2/10 2:13 AM
Bolo

Edited: 07/02/10 2:18 AM
It really all depends on the functional level of the individual's body, the severity of the injury, how much time they have to do their program, their personal goals, etc....

Years ago, when my body was at a much lower functional level and I got my ankle popped, I did my program every 3 hours for the first two days as I felt that effect of the program wear off after that amount of time and the swelling and pain began to increase. So I did it that frequently to get rid of the swelling and pain. Since I work at home, I could also do the program every 3 hours.

I just injured my knee this past Sat., but since my body is at a much higher functional level, there was barely any swelling and it didn't hurt in regular life except if I were to pull my heel to my butt. I have been doing my program 4 times a day in order to heal as fast as possible. I could do it less as I don't feel the effect fading very much, but I just want to give it a little extra push forward with the healing and I tend to get a bit obsessive with fixing my injuries. I don't do any more than 4 times because I don't feel it would serve much additional benefit.

With my student's situation, I told her to do the program whenever she felt the effect begin to wear off and she began to feel any increasing discomfort in her elbow. I then just left it up to her as far has how many times she wanted to do it.
7/2/10 5:06 PM
Bolo

I spoke to my student today and because of work, she has only been able to do her program 2 - 3 times each day. However, she says that her elbow was doing well and when I asked her if there was much swelling, she said there was no swelling at all!
7/7/10 2:52 AM
Bolo

I updated my student's first aid program today. She has 100% range of motion back in her arm and no pain in full extension and full contraction. She still has a bit to go before getting back into training, but she is making awesome progress.
7/8/10 3:08 AM
Hunter V
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet!
11/24/10 12:23 PM
Bolo

Last night in BJJ class, one a student injured his back. When training, heard a pop in his back, pain shoot down both legs, and his calves, hamstrings, and glutes locked up on him. I immediately gave him an MBF first aid program. Ran him through it one time and ask him how he felt. He said he felt totally fine. No... pain. Back and legs felt normal. He woke up his morning and he felt fine.

By the way, this student also does MBF on a regular basis so I was familiar with his posture which allowed me to know very quickly what exercises to give him. In addition, having done MBF before, his body knew what to do with the stimulus ...from the exercises very quickly. Of course having done MBF, he trusted me when I told him that he needed to do a program right away.

MBF as first aid is bad ass. Like I've said before...Ice, pain killers, anti-inflammatories, heat, etc.... completely unnecessary when you know MBF.
11/28/10 9:54 PM
Eel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is the MBF ebook an instructional manual or just a book on the MBF
program theory? I am referring to the one on the MBF website.

11/28/10 10:01 PM
Bolo

It just a general overview. Does it explain how to analyze posture, choose the correct exercises, and sequence the exercises? No. That is only explained in the MBF courses.
11/28/10 11:08 PM
Eel

Have you attended the level 3 MBF class? It appears to be a sports performance class.
11/28/10 11:24 PM
Bolo

I have done all 3 MBF courses. It begins to introduce strength training into the MBF programs and goes into more detail about previous subjects.

The courses teach the principles and introduces the student to how to apply those principles. However, in my opinion, the only way to really understand how to apply MBF to the intricacies of numerous different individuals is to do one on one consultations with the creator, Geoff Gluckman, and put people's postures in front of him. I have done countless consultations with Geoff and I continue to do so. My education in MBF never stops and I am learning all the time.
5/14/11 4:32 AM
Bolo

Yes, those conditions are simply symptoms of muscle imbalance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.