UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Tell me about LIVING OFF THE GRID...

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
6/30/10 11:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJ Pencil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm curious if anyone here has considered/is living off the grid. What are the pros and cons? I'm almost positive I will be living off the grid when I get nearer to retirement, but if I could, I would head for the hills sooner.
6/30/10 11:29 PM
billid
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't have to head to the hills to do it.

Pros, no more bills.

Cons, initial cost.
6/30/10 11:38 PM
BJ Pencil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That alone would make it worth it for me. The initial costs are expected, but I'm considering living by the most modest means possible. That would make my initial costs more bearable and cost of maintenance wouldn't break the bank. I really want to distance myself from society when I relocate. Not necessarily be a hermit, but have my land and home and not have to deal with neighbors or friends just stopping by without having to plan for it first. I want to be within one hour of a decent sized community, but not near a big city again.
6/30/10 11:42 PM
68COUGAR
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ Pencil - That alone would make it worth it for me. The initial costs are expected, but I'm considering living by the most modest means possible. That would make my initial costs more bearable and cost of maintenance wouldn't break the bank. I really want to distance myself from society when I relocate. Not necessarily be a hermit, but have my land and home and not have to deal with neighbors or friends just stopping by without having to plan for it first. I want to be within one hour of a decent sized community, but not near a big city again.

That sounds cool man..It takes a lot of money here to get a place with land//
6/30/10 11:42 PM
Dr. Pepper

i'd hit up the survivalground
6/30/10 11:46 PM
BJ Pencil

CDO - Living strictly "off the grid" is illegal in the United States. That is, it cannot be accomplished with out breaking several laws. If your taking about just living where there are not many people though, well that is something different.

-CDO

I didn't know that. If you would, enlighten me please.
6/30/10 11:48 PM
Dr Gonzo
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Les Stroud made a little documentary about this a few years ago, try and find that. I think its just called "Off the grid"
6/30/10 11:54 PM
gregbrady
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CDO - Living strictly "off the grid" is illegal in the United States. That is, it cannot be accomplished with out breaking several laws. If your taking about just living where there are not many people though, well that is something different.

-CDO

thousands of ppl in Alaska would disagree with you.
7/1/10 12:07 AM
billid
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr,

is that your house in the last pic?

7/1/10 12:13 AM
SomethingFunny

great fucking post kvr
7/1/10 12:14 AM
Eddy Payeur
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/1/10 12:15 AM
ABE FROMAN

How do you EVER live 'off the grid'? If you are on land you have to pay somebody for it.
7/1/10 12:31 AM
BJ Pencil

awesome post kvr. it took me a while to reply because i was just enjoying your post on the survivalground. i am super envious of you. hopefully, i'll be living the true american dream, just like you.
7/1/10 12:51 AM
ABE FROMAN

ABE FROMAN -  How do you EVER live 'off the grid'? If you are on land you have to pay somebody for it.

7/1/10 12:52 AM
GaymidaGaydan
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy lives off the grid.
7/1/10 12:56 AM
jettdogg

http://edbegley.net/

Ed saved for 20 years to buy his solar panels, his site is pretty good.
7/1/10 1:06 AM
BJ Pencil

kvr29 -  If your planning to build, think small, our house is right around 900 square feet, and I actually wish we had gone a little smaller. Think of several small buildings, Main house, guest cabin, barn ect. That way you can build in stages and not have a huge upfront cost.

great advice. i was actually considering doing that too.
7/1/10 1:06 AM
ABE FROMAN

kvr29 - 
ABE FROMAN - 
ABE FROMAN -  How do you EVER live 'off the grid'? If you are on land you have to pay somebody for it.

you mean taxes or the cost of the property? I'm not following

Correct. You can't just plop somewhere and not pay for the land. Technically that's not living 'off the grid', right?

7/1/10 1:11 AM
jettdogg

These are cool, I wonder what the impact would be if every house got one.

http://www.buildbabybuild.com/uncategorized/residential-rooftop-wind-turbines

http://i.imgur.com/FQr9G.jpg
7/1/10 1:15 AM
ShakaFerreira
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting stuff.
7/1/10 1:27 AM
mofugra
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 you place is looking great. What are you doing to it next?
7/1/10 1:28 AM
ABE FROMAN

kvr29 -
 yes, but technically I would say that's more living off the land than living off the grid, there are many different ways to acquire land besides outright purchase. My family had a 100 year lease from the state of pennsylvania for a camp near the grand canyon of pa. Here in Maine they have land leases on papermill lands, but I think they are starting to do away with them. There are off the grid communes you can join ect, sorry for rambling
No no, thanks you for answering thoroughly. I find this subject very interesting.

7/1/10 1:31 AM
thewellhungarian
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We just moved to a new hom with the intentions of getting off the grid, but we aren't there yet. I have city power, but it isn't neccesay, I have a battery back-up, inverter, and lots of windows. I don't really need power if it came down to it. The house would be bright during the day and dark at night. The Dryer runs off propane as well as the water heater and stove. I have a water well with an air pump running off a windmill. A big wood stove that heats the house quickly even in -35. There are about 5 lakes within walking distance.

I think living off the grid would mean never having to need anything from town.  Maybe one day I will ge there, but it's expensive.I still have to go in to get groceries, although i could hunt more than I do, but  I need some veggies that won't grow at my altitude and climate. I still need propane delivered once a year, and plan on putting in an oil furnace this year so I don't have to depend completely on wood. I would like to put in solar seeing as I have part of a system already with the batts and inverter, but that will have to come in time. All taht matters now is that I am better of in a power outage or loss of services then probably 95% of the people in North America.
7/1/10 1:34 AM
SLOtownG

that is sick the well hungarian.  cool thread. subscribed
7/1/10 1:37 AM
banjo

very cool thread.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.