UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Tell me about LIVING OFF THE GRID...

7/1/10 1:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
handsup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

laziest illegal immigrant ever
7/1/10 1:40 AM
billid
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Here in Maine"

that was going to be my next question because of the good use of awnings for summer shade, winter sun

mofugra
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you going to post anymore threads like when you made your earth shelter?
SLOtownG

handsup - laziest illegal immigrant ever

NIce....VTFU
7/1/10 1:44 AM
thewellhungarian
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kv29, I've been looking into some solar panels, and a greenhouse as well, I get 6 months of winter, so even with a greenhouse, growing will have to be slective I think. What are your thoughts on a spring and fall garden in harsh climates? Am I stuck with potatoes and onions?
7/1/10 1:52 AM
thewellhungarian
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SLOtownG -  that is sick the well hungarian.  cool thread. subscribed

Thanks man, I don't know why the previous owners painted it all dark blue, and purple, and pink, But we have done some work since we moved in and we are really loving the place, you never realize how loud a city is until you hear the quiet of the country.
7/1/10 1:53 AM
billid
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

btw, for what it's worth... my little experiment for cooling my place on hot summer nights,

rather than running air conditioning all night. took two large fans and put them in a window facing outside, right against the screen in a spare room. removed the stands and stacked them on top of each other while jamming them into place closing the horizontal sliding window then plugged all the extra screen space with towels/cloths. this creates a vacuum out of your house sucking all the air out this window. then closed all doors and windows except in the rooms I wanted to cool. I was able to go from sticking to my sweaty blankets to fighting with my girlfriend for blankets in about 30 minutes. was during 95 degree weather that dropped to 66 at night. with no wind outside and being hot all day, the house was hot as fuck... using this method (at night), better than air conditioning. Am able to cool 3 bedrooms at once like this.

Want to look into something more permanent.
7/1/10 1:57 AM
thewellhungarian

kvr29 - 
thewellhungarian -  kv29, I've been looking into some solar panels, and a greenhouse as well, I get 6 months of winter, so even with a greenhouse, growing will have to be slective I think. What are your thoughts on a spring and fall garden in harsh climates? Am I stuck with potatoes and onions?

what zone are you?

Good question, I spent a short amount of time looking for a list of Zones before I moved up there. I was busy and never followed through. Do you have a quality website that would include Western Canada? I have found a few places that sell seeds for higher elevations, but I would like to know what would thrive, and I keep being asked what Zone I am in. I would imagine that is the best place to start.
7/1/10 1:57 AM
billid

also, I did this all last summer and between running this from sunset to sunrise and keeping the curtains closed all day I hardly had to run my air conditioning
7/1/10 1:58 AM
thewellhungarian

Edited: 07/01/10 1:59 AM
DBL

7/1/10 2:10 AM
snowhazell
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subscribed!
7/1/10 2:11 AM
HardyJenns

LOVE these threads

kvr, your posts are always awesome

I understood "off the grid" to mean living under the radar in a general sense, apart from society

cool stuff guys, thanks
7/1/10 2:18 AM
jettdogg

kvr29 - 
jettdogg - http://edbegley.net/

Ed saved for 20 years to buy his solar panels, his site is pretty good.

his show living with ed cracks me up

He was on the Dylan Ratigan show on MSNBC this week, they did a good long segment on alternate energy and getting off of oil, Ed was on and rode his bike 14 miles to the studio to do the segment.
7/1/10 2:22 AM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HardyJenns - 
I understood "off the grid" to mean living under the radar in a general sense, apart from society

I understood it to be disconnect from the various utility grids. It tends to be a bit of a misnomer when people often heat with propane since they are using a transport grid but have the fuel trucked in rather than piped.

KVR is living like I am aim to be soon enough. My fifteen year plan is a bit behind your plan. I am getting into raising my own food first as I can't get my hands on a particular parcel of land just yet. I hope to purchase the acreage directly adjacent to my grandparent's farm. For now I just have my camp. The tipi will be up later this Summer. Baby steps.
7/1/10 2:24 AM
jettdogg

I'm too lazy to look through the thread again, has "off the grid" been explained to the high-ons?
7/1/10 2:27 AM
Legkick to the Head
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://yossarianspeaks.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/into_the_wild-7236961.png
7/1/10 2:30 AM
LoganClark
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, it does require planning.
7/1/10 3:03 AM
LoganClark

I'm doing fairly well on the other end of things. Just butchered a couple of sheep and a hog in the last couple weeks. And I'll have four steers to butcher next fall. Plenty of produce coming out right now. I'll likely be selling at farmer's markets for the first time next year.
7/1/10 4:20 AM
Utah get me two

My threads.
7/1/10 8:54 AM
thewellhungarian

Thanks for the link kvr
7/1/10 9:02 AM
BJ Pencil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr, i'm planning on settling on 80 acres of family land in south carolina. i've researched and found there are eco-communes in the state. sometime soon, i plan on taking a few weeks and living up there with them to possibly find out if i want to be totally off grid or just minimize my carbon footprint. it looks like there are some radicalists that live off the grid as a way to rebel against the government, that isnt me. i just dont want to be in debt to the municipalities for things i need to survive if i can provide for myself. i also want to provide a majority of my own food through gardening and raising livestock. i really appreciate all of your input on the thread. please, keep it coming.
7/1/10 9:03 AM
BJ Pencil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh, and good stuff hungarian!!
7/1/10 9:16 AM
thewellhungarian

Kvr, I am in zone 3a, I guess I will have to look into some plans so I can get going next spring.
7/1/10 9:54 AM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/1/10 10:01 AM
Willybone
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 - 
 That rocked.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.