UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Tell me about LIVING OFF THE GRID...

7/6/10 6:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crazydave
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 - 
BJ Pencil - 
kvr29 -  casa de grand pa-pa is officially on-line and off the grid

sweet digs. got any furnished pics? also, thanks for the kw calculation, that actually was very helpful.

np, furnished pics of the cabin? it's basically just his bed and computer, we just picked up a desk we have to put together for him

DUDE! that rocks!
7/6/10 12:48 PM
signaljammer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fucking buckthorn.

I hate that shit, you have to cut the whole stump out. I'm getting rid of some of it at my mom's house in the suburbs of chicago and it's a lot of work with an axe.

It's all over the woods surrounding my work too, choking out a beautiful spot of oak savanna. I wonder if goats would work, if I could get my corporation to go for it.
7/6/10 1:22 PM
TDre42
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome thread. 

KVR and others:

What would you say is the average upstart cost to build a modest living facility with capability of moving even further down the "off the grid" gradient at a later time when funds are available?

7/6/10 4:08 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

signaljammer - fucking buckthorn.

I hate that shit, you have to cut the whole stump out. I'm getting rid of some of it at my mom's house in the suburbs of chicago and it's a lot of work with an axe.

It's all over the woods surrounding my work too, choking out a beautiful spot of oak savanna. I wonder if goats would work, if I could get my corporation to go for it.

I've had some landowners talking to me about using my Highland cattle to control buckthorn for them. It worked on the first place I tried them out, and I am in my first year of using them for the same purpose on a larger farm now. Large trees still have to be cut down, but the cows and bull will push over anything under three inches thick to get at the foliage late in the season, and they will eat down any regrowth.
7/6/10 4:30 PM
yumaslim
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/9/10 11:10 AM
BJ Pencil
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/14/10 12:05 PM
BJ Pencil
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what are some of your opinions on rv living? would it be considered off the grid if you were rv-ing it?
7/17/10 9:25 PM
68COUGAR

SUB
7/17/10 9:45 PM
Samoanpowr
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/17/10 9:57 PM
Samoanpowr
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit, a thread on MMA.tv with no name calling, trash talking etc. I'm just starting to educate myself to "off the grid" living (which is ironic because I grew up off the grid up to age 9).

7/17/10 10:22 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can go ahead and pimp slap somebody if that would make the thread more OG.

I definitely need to make an OG gardens 2010 thread. Still haven't taken any pictures of my crops yet.
7/18/10 10:34 AM
MrSmiff
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt - fantastic thread

Hungarian, where is your place? It looks awesome! I remember you said you lived on the westside (west kelowna) before.....where you at now?
7/18/10 3:08 PM
cdmontgo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LoganClark - I definitely need to make an OG gardens 2010 thread. Still haven't taken any pictures of my crops yet.

Please do.
7/18/10 11:54 PM
68COUGAR

TTT
7/18/10 11:55 PM
68COUGAR

TTT
7/19/10 12:10 AM
williepep
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks, wanted to pass along some of these links, plus the nice pictures.

By the way 68 Cougar is an interesting looking automobile.
7/19/10 12:12 AM
Southpaw'd

Its fucking dumb. zing!
7/19/10 12:39 AM
williepep
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 - 
Badmonkey - Great info!

If you don't mind my asking; what do you guys do for a living?

we own a small restaurant

do you use the veggies you grow in your restaurant?
7/19/10 12:40 AM
68COUGAR

YES IS IS WILLIE
7/19/10 10:39 AM
BJ Pencil

LoganClark - I can go ahead and pimp slap somebody if that would make the thread more OG.

I definitely need to make an OG gardens 2010 thread. Still haven't taken any pictures of my crops yet.

definitely take some pics. i tried gardening for the first time this year. built an 8x4 raised bed garden and planted everything from seed. i've got 1 tomato plant, 1 cucumber plant, 4 summer squash, about 2 ft of lettuce, 1 jalepeno, 1 okra, 1 eggplant, and about 4 beets. so far so good, and i've got seedlings ready to be transplanted as soon as i harvest everything from the summer.
7/19/10 11:11 AM
Thage
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 -  we are still working on it, a little at a time, it was a 15 year plan for us. If your planning to build, think small, our house is right around 900 square feet, and I actually wish we had gone a little smaller. Think of several small buildings, Main house, guest cabin, barn ect. That way you can build in stages and not have a huge upfront cost.

That's exactly my plan.

We're building a smaller cabin/timber home first, which will serve as a guest house eventually along with a barn. Maybe 5 years after that we will build the bigger house overlooking the big pond on our land. I know I want to go solar but I haven't really looked into the pro's/con's and the cost.
7/19/10 11:48 AM
GaydarBlane

kvr is the man. That is all.
7/20/10 11:24 AM
Samoanpowr

kvr29 - 
Samoanpowr - Holy shit, a thread on MMA.tv with no name calling, trash talking etc. I'm just starting to educate myself to "off the grid" living (which is ironic because I grew up off the grid up to age 9).

I'd love to sit and have a long talk with your parents and grandparents

It was all my parents; my grandparents lived "normally". Now that I am learning about green living, I'm not even sure that how I grew up was even eco-friendly. We used a ton of wood for heat and cooking. I guess the wood used for the house was at least somewhat LEED approved (my parents pulled 90% of the wood from an old lumber mill that had been unused for 80 years. I didn't know any better when I was a kid (no running water, hand done everything, etc) so there was no real burden on me (actually, I think I learned a ton of responsibility growing up that way) but there are a ton of concerns moving triplet 11 year olds into that kind of living that have grown up with EVERY convenience known to man to this point.

I admire what you have done; lets just that bit of green-groupieness out in the open.

7/20/10 11:35 AM
BJ Pencil

after doing some research, i've decided to live a more self-sustainable lifestyle. my goal for living off the grid hasn't changed, but i'm going to start the change sooner than i expected. with the way the economy has been going, it only makes sense to do away with the unnecessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvn79E40VSc

this clip actually inspired me. this was way before "green living" became popular, and during a time when we didn't have as many creature comforts as we do today.
7/21/10 12:09 AM
BJ Pencil

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.