UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Tell me about LIVING OFF THE GRID...

8/20/10 3:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sparkyman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 - 
sparkyman - Threads where kvr participates are always interesting :)

thanks sparkyman, I gotta say this pic is most excellent

LOL, thanks.

I'm actually looking for a remote piece of property close to this spot to build something really remote just for fun to start. This place is in a park and has building restrictions (and obviously hunting restrictions).

8/20/10 3:47 PM
The Drizzle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CDO - Living strictly "off the grid" is illegal in the United States. That is, it cannot be accomplished with out breaking several laws. If your taking about just living where there are not many people though, well that is something different.

-CDO[/quo

There hole towns in Nv off the grid so how does that work ?
9/4/10 12:26 AM
BJ Pencil
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/4/10 12:50 AM
blushgirl412
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L
9/23/10 9:13 AM
BJ Pencil
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/23/10 9:36 AM
Ogami Itto
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

l8r
9/23/10 12:35 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 - People get wrapped up in growing a garden, composting ect, well if there are no skills to preserve, or make your own food, all that will be for nothing.

How dare you, sir? I am slowly learning the necessary skills now, but for now I take advantage of my extended family living near by. My aunt puts up a lot. I like to grow things that I don't have to process. Squash, potatoes, onions. It is remarkable how much you can keep fresh for months when you have a well designed storage area.
9/23/10 1:08 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was kidding. I'm not so easily bothered.

I'll think of something. I have managed to stretch my watermelon out over the last month or so, and I'll run out a week or two after first frost. I've never considered preserving them.
9/23/10 6:22 PM
Timberwolf2022

ttt
9/23/10 7:31 PM
fob
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later
9/23/10 7:34 PM
vegasdolphin
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Post more pics.
9/23/10 9:31 PM
BJ Pencil

ttt
9/24/10 12:51 AM
ashleigh11
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 - 

on a side note, any suggestion for watermelon, I have about 20 I have to pick the next couple days before the frost starts hitting, any ideas besides pickling the rinds?

if you can get ahold of some type of netting, you can hang them in cool storage for a couple of months. i was told to leave a couple inches of stem and do your best not to damage the skin/rind at all. mine lasted for about 2 1/2 months before any of them started to go bad.

i'm not a huge fan of rind pickles. i have canned the juice.
9/24/10 1:48 AM
yusul
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/24/10 1:53 AM
owlfeeder
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/24/10 4:04 AM
sanguine cynic

ttt
10/31/10 3:12 PM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^blame her when you are frozen and dying later this winter.
10/31/10 3:15 PM
thewellhungarian
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we've had our wood stove going for a month now, nice and cozy though.
10/31/10 3:17 PM
thewellhungarian
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

emotion #13 -  LOL @ truly off grid living people browing the OG on their INTERNETS

Yes because people off the grid don't have power or WiFi, LOL.  We all live by candlelight and eat squirrels for dinner.
10/31/10 3:35 PM
thewellhungarian

Good man, at work, should be able to get home tommorow or the next day. Lucky you if that's six years worth, I cut maybe 10 times that much this summer,  Aparantly the house will go through 15 cord this winter, The pile wheelbarrow is leaning against is a double row right? My wife has burned half of that in 2.5 weeks. But I think I have about 20 cord split, and another 5 waiting to be split. I sure am loving the snow, the house looks great in the winter, straight out of a novel.

I am sure that I won't be able to have a non-contained garden, the deer kept the grass mowed, and there must be 40 bunnies running around the yard at all times, I am sure my carrots and lettuce would get raided, Greenhouse it is.

The wife is prego again, so I am having a propane furnace installed for secondary heat ( I don't want her packing wood pregnant) So that is going in sometime this month. Other than that, I am working and missing home. How's the temp around you're place this time of year? I am sitting around -5 at night and 0 during the day.
10/31/10 3:47 PM
thewellhungarian

This is the front yard about a month ago, first snow of the year, you can see the deer across the way,I didn't even get a chance to go out hunting for anything other than quail this year The other night a deer scared the shit out of me , I was having a smoke on my balcony when something big moved, I ran inside and grabbed my flashlight, It was a Doe about 3 feet from my railing, he just ignored me and kept eating my grass. It was very sureal to sit there and watch it eat in peace.
10/31/10 3:50 PM
thewellhungarian

Nice work on the vino, I have to get a brewery going for some suds one of these days, I have seen some good deals in the buy and sell for used equipment
10/31/10 3:55 PM
thewellhungarian

LOL , nice firearm, my .308 is an old winchester lever action, great for deer. But I usually  use a crossbow for deer, and for rabbits as well. I have a pretty decent gun collection, but I have a pellet gun that fires at 1500 ft per second with high velocity pellets, it's great for all small game, no wrecking the meat. I swear I could have gotten that deer with a ball-pein hammer the other night. I didn't pick up any big game tags this year, next year it moose that I will be going after.
10/31/10 3:59 PM
thewellhungarian

Thanks for the tip, Do you brew beer as well? And if so how does it pan out in comparison to branded beer?
10/31/10 4:05 PM
thewellhungarian

Mine fires .177, that must fire a .22 or one of those .50's? Even dead skunks stink. I heard you can trap them in a cage stylerrap, and as long as you stay looking them in the face they will not spray, I haven't heard of anyone other than the guy telling me about it trying it though, seems like it could have nasty concequences if he is incorrect.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.