UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Tell me about LIVING OFF THE GRID...

10/31/10 4:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thewellhungarian
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

emotion #13 -  kvr- where are you living and how much land are you on?

same question for the other off-griders.

We have plans to go off-grid in about 2yrs. We have aquired land in a few different places and just need to decide which one we want to call home.

I live in British Columbia, Canada, in the Rocky Mountains, We don't own much land, but we are surrounded by crown land (gov Owned) that nobody can build on. This keeps property taxes down to a minimum, with open space still availible everywhere. You really want to plan you're entire house before deciding, this will help you with which direction to face your house,how many windows and floors in the house, SQ footage, where the best producing wells for water are,  what type of power system you are going to use, ect. I wish I had a flowing river by my place instead of a lakes, that way I could have gone hydro-electric, if you have property where you can use water, that's an advantage, if you have high winds, that tells you to use wind power, if you have long days in the summer, maybe solar, if you are in the middle of the bush you might want to go geothermal. Lots of options you probably want to get some sort of planner with some experience in the matter to help you with the decision.
10/31/10 4:24 PM
thewellhungarian
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted above about our place Emotion, good luck with the house plans, and take care KVR, talk to you another time.
11/2/10 1:07 AM
VARIOUS
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/2/10 1:51 AM
williepep
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VARIOUS -  ttt

Thanks!, but now I am too tired to post anything that makes sense, so let's keep this thread alive for the AM.
11/12/10 12:23 AM
BJ Pencil
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/12/10 12:34 AM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thewellhungarian -  LOL , nice firearm, my .308 is an old winchester lever action, great for deer. But I usually  use a crossbow for deer, and for rabbits as well. I have a pretty decent gun collection, but I have a pellet gun that fires at 1500 ft per second with high velocity pellets, it's great for all small game, no wrecking the meat. I swear I could have gotten that deer with a ball-pein hammer the other night. I didn't pick up any big game tags this year, next year it moose that I will be going after.

I know about as much about hunting as I do how much curry you're supposed to use in cooking indian food but hunting rabbit with a crossbow seems a little excessive to me. am I wrong?  Can't you just use a sling shot or small firearm or something?
11/12/10 1:09 AM
Tahiti Bo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/14/10 8:18 PM
williepep
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kvr29 -  can a mod move this to the survivalground before it drops off into the abyss?

What will mud namers do?
11/14/10 10:26 PM
SlightlyStoopid
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
11/14/10 11:19 PM
LiverpoolFC
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jealous of your wealth of space. Phone Post
11/14/10 11:20 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had some fencing go down in the first snow storm. Two heifers are missing somewhere, but I'm sure I'll find them. I'll consider this free grazing.
11/15/10 11:07 AM
Big Pun
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just make sure you have it heavily fenced along the roadway. I have a friend who's parents were cotton farmers and they raised their own cattle on the side. Just enough for their own use really. Anyhow, the cattle busted the fence and one got hit by a car. They got sued and lost a pretty hefty sum of money considering they were not well off to begin with. It was a pretty bad deal all the way around. They lost to an illegal alien who had no business even being in the country.
11/15/10 4:52 PM
LoganClark
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have insurance on the cattle. We are along a highway on the south so I have that section fenced with cattle panels. The section of fencing that went down is in the back corner of the property without any houses or roads nearby.
11/15/10 11:05 PM
LoganClark

That was easy. My basset hound herded them back in for me. Found 'em in the neighbor's picked corn field. Just walked wide around them and the dog followed my lead.
1/10/11 7:35 PM
TheeSenator
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subb'd to read later.
1/10/11 9:52 PM
BJ Pencil
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
1/10/11 9:58 PM
TheeSenator
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KVR, Hungarian, Clark - you guys are all great dudes to be contributing to these types of threads...

As a city folk type myself who is currently planning and saving for my eventual move out to the country I am glad and fortunate to have these types of thread available..

Thanks again!!! KVR - after I get back from Afghanistan I would like to talk w/ you about how you planned, adjusted, executed, etc. your project...

Until then keep up these great threads! I need something to read for the next 14 months!!!!
1/12/11 12:03 PM
SlightlyStoopid
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for great reading Phone Post
1/12/11 1:03 PM
workman43113
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/17/11 2:49 PM
LoganClark

I helped a Russian butcher one of my steers a couple weeks ago. That was an experience. Had a calf drop dead as well. Farming is disappointing in the winter.
1/18/11 9:10 AM
LoganClark

No, I will stick with my Russian for now. Though the death didn't seem as painless as it could have been, and I'm not a fan of that. My butchering friend wants to help me develop a market for my lambs with the significant Muslim immigrant population in our area.
2/18/11 1:59 AM
BJ Pencil

ttt
2/18/11 5:52 AM
Easytarget
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subd
2/18/11 10:38 AM
Big Pun
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be interested to know how the lambs go. We're looking at putting a few out ourselves, but I don't know anything about their care and maintenance
2/20/11 12:17 PM
TheeSenator

LoganClark - No, I will stick with my Russian for now. Though the death didn't seem as painless as it could have been, and I'm not a fan of that. My butchering friend wants to help me develop a market for my lambs with the significant Muslim immigrant population in our area.

Bacon Wrapped lamb???

Sure fire hit IMO..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.