UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo in Pittsburgh, where to train?

7/1/10 6:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr Mike from NC
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are some good schools to train Judo in Pittsburgh? I'll be in the area this summer and, am interested in one or more places to visit. I've seen a list on a PA Judo website, but no nothing about the various schools, or instructors.

Thanks.
7/1/10 6:39 PM
JohnSerbin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't go wrong with either South Hills Judo Club or Kims Judo Club both located a mile or so from each other. 

http://www.southhillsjudo.org/

http://www.kimsjudotkd.com/
7/1/10 6:56 PM
Mr Mike from NC
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JohnSerbin -  You can't go wrong with either South Hills Judo Club or Kims Judo Club both located a mile or so from each other. 

http://www.southhillsjudo.org/

http://www.kimsjudotkd.com/<br type="_moz" />

How is the Kim's Judo in Cranberry? I'll be closer to that school, but the Brentwood school seems like a possibility. South Hills Judo as well.

Thanks.
7/2/10 2:59 AM
JohnSerbin

Kim's in Cranberry is where my nephew currently trains and It is a great place to go. If you can make it to South Hills too you will have visited two very well known judo clubs with a lot of history. South Hills and Kim's are the cornerstones of Judo In Pittsburgh. 
7/3/10 10:12 PM
FreestyleJJ
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if it's still the case, but when I used to get to make it up to Kim's in Cranberry for a while(I'm not from Pittsburgh, so don't get to very often anymore), during the weekdays the better competitors all practice up there. Brentwood had good guys too, but the best guys from both seemed to congregate up in Cranberry. Not sure if that's still how it is.
7/17/10 12:16 PM
Mr Mike from NC

I ended up visiting Kim's Judo in Cranberry. I was nervous and, probably didn't make much of a showing, but the instruction was top notch, the students were respectful and, very good. Sensei Kim was open to questions and, conversation after wards. If I'm back up there, I'll go over again to train. KIm's in Cranberry has my recommendation for anyone wanting a good place to train Judo.
7/20/10 2:14 PM
thePetester

Mr Mike, where are you from in NC? We have a guy from Pittsburgh training with us now in Charlotte. He trained at Kim's mostly, not sure which one though.
7/22/10 8:56 PM
Mr Mike from NC

thePetester - Mr Mike, where are you from in NC? We have a guy from Pittsburgh training with us now in Charlotte. He trained at Kim's mostly, not sure which one though.

I train at Sensei Darrian Stoke's Bushido Judo school in Burlington. His main school is in Durham, but he's up in Burlington each Tuesday, Wednesday and, Saturday.
7/23/10 1:38 PM
thePetester

"I train at Sensei Darrian Stoke's Bushido Judo school in Burlington. His main school is in Durham, but he's up in Burlington each Tuesday, Wednesday and, Saturday."
Cool, I have talked to him several times in the past. Mostly about Austin Cook (I think is his last name). One of the few teens I have ever seen that I would actually stop and watch every time he competed. Does he ever come back?
7/24/10 1:58 PM
Mr Mike from NC

thePetester - "I train at Sensei Darrian Stoke's Bushido Judo school in Burlington. His main school is in Durham, but he's up in Burlington each Tuesday, Wednesday and, Saturday."
Cool, I have talked to him several times in the past. Mostly about Austin Cook (I think is his last name). One of the few teens I have ever seen that I would actually stop and watch every time he competed. Does he ever come back?

Austin last visited the Burlington school in early 2009, I think. Bushido Durham is his home school and, I think he trains there when he's home for visits. I believe that he currently lives in Colorado and, spends his time training and, competing for the Olympics. Sensei Stokes is taking several kids to the Junior Olympics this weekend and, he said that he thought Austin would be there.

Austin competed at last years Nito Cup and, seemed to miles ahead of his competition.
7/24/10 6:14 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw Austin compete at the Nationals and at this years President Cup. I spoke to him briefly at both events because I was impressed by his "game". He doesn't have the experience of the top 3 players in 66K. But for his short time in Judo (3 yrs is what I rememeber) he has alot of potential for a young kid.
7/26/10 10:26 AM
thePetester

Good to hear he comes back. I had last heard he was up in Rhode island training with mayo q.

"I saw Austin compete at the Nationals and at this years President Cup. I spoke to him briefly at both events because I was impressed by his "game". He doesn't have the experience of the top 3 players in 66K. But for his short time in Judo (3 yrs is what I rememeber) he has alot of potential for a young kid. "

Wow, he is up to 66kg now? I think he has been training for more than 3 years, I think I first saw him over three years ago now. But, he definitely does not have a lot of experience yet.
7/26/10 4:39 PM
Mr Mike from NC

Sensei Stokes sent out an email today about our team's progress at the Junior Olympics and, Austin Cook earned a Bronze medal and, put on some impressive performances with some epic wins.

I think Austin was up in Rhode Island in 2008.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.