UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Good HW judo to watch?

7/2/10 10:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aegix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently had my first competition and watched the videos of the matches. LOL...good God I look like a dork!

Obviously, I'm not going to move like a lightweight, but I'd like to get a feel of how I *should* be moving by emulating some of the elite (if possible - I know, probably tough to do, but a boy can dream, can't he?).
7/3/10 11:09 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to youtube, type in the search field Daniel Mccormich. Daniel is the US 100k+ Senior National Cchampion. There are many matches and technique demos by him. Alcloser has excellent videos at the highest levels. This is more closer to your (potential) abilities.
7/4/10 9:49 PM
aegix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice list, thanks.
7/8/10 1:53 PM
greenhornet
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, thanks for putting that together allcloser. I just started training a brand new heavyweight. I was hoping to get some good ideas for big guy moves. I haven't looked at this yet but will. I've noticed that there are different styles depending on body types. Little guy moves, tall guy moves, strong guy moves, old guy moves and big guy moves. I know I'm over simplyfing but I do believe some moves work better for different body types.
7/9/10 1:23 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it isnt an issue of short or tall guy moves. it is a matter of comfort. when talking about true heavies you will see people not using certain techniques more out of the sheer discomfort of trying to do them again such huge people and other techniques that are far more comfortable being used a lot.

if size and body style had anything to do with it, Muneta wouldn't do half the throws he did.
7/9/10 9:46 AM
greenhornet
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear you Josh, and I am over simplifying it. I think that anyone can do any move & should strive to learn them. I do beleive that some moves favor some body types. Its harder for a tall guy to get a seonage on a short guy. I think a short guy will struggle with uchi mata on a tall guy. And a world class guy can often do it all, hence, world class player like Muneta.
7/9/10 9:46 AM
greenhornet

Edited: 07/09/10 9:46 AM
double post
7/9/10 1:31 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GH.... no, it isnt a matter of body type at all. height is also a very relative thing.

i have been thrown with ippon seionage and sode and morote and yoko tomenage and kataguruma by people well over 6 feet tall and i am 5'7. i have been thrown with uchimata and osoto and tio by people who were much shorter than i.
some people like to believe that this is an issue of body type because that is an easy way to "understand" things. but it is absolutley wrong.

what matters in judo is not the body type of the athlete, but how well s/he is able to do a select few things while attempting to throw:

1. establish their body in a superrior position and timing prior to attacking.
2. attack with full committment and accuracy.
3. be willing to complete the act regardless of efforts to stop it.

you can take a teenager with 6 months of training that consists of very little throwing and a lot of gripping and body positioning and s/he will give people with far more experience a heck of a hard time.

you can do the exact opposite and find out that the person who does nothing but throwing all day long cant throw somebody in randori to save his/her life.

one teaches you to be fucntional, one teaches you to be "technical." to be good at judo you need both, but there are far too many clubs that overdo one or the other.
7/9/10 3:58 PM
greenhornet

Good points, Josh.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.