UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Question for my sambo peeps

7/2/10 10:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
allthat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone know of any places to train in the greater phoenix, AZ area?

thanks for the info!
7/3/10 4:32 PM
allthat

67 views and no info!!! lol guess that means no sambo training for me :) i didnt think there would be after my tireless internet search. thanks anyway
7/4/10 4:36 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just go to a judo club. really. people think there is a huge difference and there isnt.
7/4/10 8:45 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - just go to a judo club. really. people think there is a huge difference and there isnt.

there is a big difference,but he should find a good judo club first
7/5/10 2:22 AM
allthat

thanks guys.... that was my second option and i actually checked out some judo spots today. I was looking for something with a somewhat equal emphasis on groundwork and throws which was the reason for the question. thanks again
7/7/10 4:08 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gutts.. no, there is not a huge difference. the vast majority of what is in sambo comes from Judo-- other parts from national wrestling styles found throughout the former USSR. read some history books on Sambo, talk to guys here like Dynamo. There is a reason why places like Sambo-70 don't differentiate between Sambo and Judo.

the real differences are in the competition rules, but why that has to impact randori and training at all times is a mystery to me.
7/7/10 1:12 PM
Kai Tremeche

JoshuaResnick - gutts.. no, there is not a huge difference. the vast majority of what is in sambo comes from Judo-- other parts from national wrestling styles found throughout the former USSR. read some history books on Sambo, talk to guys here like Dynamo. There is a reason why places like Sambo-70 don't differentiate between Sambo and Judo.

the real differences are in the competition rules, but why that has to impact randori and training at all times is a mystery to me.

Well, if you are training in Randori for competition, you have to watch out for so much in Judo now. Especially keeping aware of not using any weird grips for more than a second, and not touching the legs anymore.

I think it was valid before the major rule changes involving grips and leg grabs, but not as much now.
7/7/10 3:21 PM
JoshuaResnick

there are pretty much no instantly illegal grips in judo that are not also instantly illegal in sambo. in judo you are given at least 5 seconds to make a major attack whereas with sambo you can hold them all day.. that's pretty much it. good luck with a pistol grip in sambo, seeing how the kurtka is so tight. both sports instaly penalize putting your fingers into the gi ends.

this has been said ad nauseum, the big change in judo is the no instant hand to leg attacks. yes, it is a noticable change in the rules-- but it has not lead to some huge shift in tournament results. these are contradictory facts, which means that the actual rule change has had a very minimal impact on Judo overall. the people making the biggest stink about it are those who are from outside the Judo community or are not very advanced players as it is.

This still does not change what I said above. the best sambo guys in the world are, for some odd reason that nobody here can comprehend, also Judokas... i hope you noticed the sarcasm.
7/7/10 3:41 PM
Kai Tremeche

JoshuaResnick - there are pretty much no instantly illegal grips in judo that are not also instantly illegal in sambo. in judo you are given at least 5 seconds to make a major attack whereas with sambo you can hold them all day.. that's pretty much it. good luck with a pistol grip in sambo, seeing how the kurtka is so tight. both sports instaly penalize putting your fingers into the gi ends.

this has been said ad nauseum, the big change in judo is the no instant hand to leg attacks. yes, it is a noticable change in the rules-- but it has not lead to some huge shift in tournament results. these are contradictory facts, which means that the actual rule change has had a very minimal impact on Judo overall. the people making the biggest stink about it are those who are from outside the Judo community or are not very advanced players as it is.

This still does not change what I said above. the best sambo guys in the world are, for some odd reason that nobody here can comprehend, also Judokas... i hope you noticed the sarcasm.

No I understand what you are saying, and you are right.
7/7/10 4:56 PM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are they talking about reversing the attack-the-leg penalty changes in 2011?
7/9/10 1:57 AM
JoshuaResnick

they would not do that before the Olympics. in fact, i think they have done everything possible to make the players as comfortable as possible with the new rules.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.