UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> D-Tuna

7/3/10 1:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ze Dano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have one of these?

Just bought one and installed it on my guitar...thing works like a motherfucker...

super easy install, and with one small tweak I am dropping down to D, without having to fukn unclamp the lock nut

EVH is a pretty smart dude for coming up with this thing
7/5/10 1:30 AM
tj tapper
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have one on my charvel. Works perfect. Brilliant idea.
7/5/10 10:02 PM
jitzophrenic
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does it interfere with pulling back on the tremolo bar at all? I'm expecting the PRS Torero i ordered to arrive tomorrow and I was really interested in installing one of these. Tell me more about the D Tuna.
7/6/10 12:42 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jitzophrenic, you can't REALLY use a d-tuna with a floating bridge as easily as you can with a VH style set up(bridge pulled back to the body). That's because the balance of the floating system lets the other strings go sharp when you drop to D. It can be done, but you have to allow range in the fine tuners to drop them also.

FYI, I've installed dozens of D-tunas. I do repair and mods on guitars and basses for a living.
7/6/10 11:12 PM
jitzophrenic
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool, thanks! looks like i'll use the Les Paul for drop tunings.
7/6/10 11:40 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hipshot makes a bracket to hold your Les Pauls E tuner that lets you flick it to D just like the D-Tuna.

Works great and fine tuning.
7/7/10 10:01 PM
Ze Dano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I've installed plenty of hipshots...mostly on bass guitars..they are really great

If your trem doesnt mount flush on the body, you can always block it at the back (spring block to body)
7/8/10 12:54 PM
Racer X

True, Ze Dano. I've also been able to get a pretty stable floating bridge/D-tuna set-up by using a Hipshot TremSetter in the spring cavity to reduce the deflection. It gives the bar a stiffer "center" feel but it works.

7/10/10 3:58 AM
Ze Dano

for my own tastes (and ears for that matter) I prefer the block method...the trem-setters seem take a bit away from resonance...either that or my old ears are fading away...
7/10/10 2:42 PM
Racer X

I think it's more a matter of solid blocking enhancing resonance rather than anything detrimental the Tremsetter does, but I agree. This just keeps the pull back ability.
7/10/10 8:29 PM
Ze Dano

actually Racer thats a better way of putting it
7/16/10 10:41 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL......I just put a cabinet ball catch between the springs that acts on the block.

Some have the exact right tension as to allow you to crank the springs tight enough such that nobody can bend a single string and cause the others to go flat yet you can still pull up on your floyd rose.

As far as the Dtuna, I have a sweet neck thru kramer that comes stock with one and you just can't pull back on the bar much unless you set it up with a bad bridge "resting" angle.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.