UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> Gymnastica Natural and GTB

1/4/02 1:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Siegmund
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Jan-02

"The former Soviet Union conducted massive research in physiology, kinesiology and biomechanics due to their political platform interest in utopic physical culture." Scott, Can you give us any more information on how sport science research was conducted under the Soviet regime? I had always thought the research was conducted mostly for their increasing the performance oof their Olympic atheletes (I believe the USSR was the first to use utilize anabolic steroids for their athletes in the 1950's.) At any rate, I had never considered there to be sport science or physical culture research conducted by government scientists for the "proletariat". Yours, David Pilkinton
1/4/02 11:39 PM
Siegmund

Well, my original question was: "Can you give us any more information on how sport science research was conducted under the Soviet regime?" This question really has nothing at all to do with your original post, so perhaps I should start a new thread. Sorry 'bout that. Yours, DP
1/4/02 9:54 PM
LEMon
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I trained GN overseas with Orlando Cani just 2 weeks ago and although there are SLIGHT similarities, there are only so many ways you can move your body. There is NO WAY ROSS derived from GN, i saw maybe ONE similarity and that is because Cani was teaching grappling based movements....
1/4/02 3:16 PM
Savitar
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is an interview with Orlando Cani (I think that's his name,) Rickson's teacher, at the Global Training Report website.
1/4/02 2:39 PM
jrichardson

It sounds to me like David is curious about exactly what physical culture research was revealed to the Soviet public, as opposed to what was kept "secret" for Olympic athletes and special forces guys.
1/5/02 7:15 PM
KENWINGJITSU

Edited: 05-Jan-02
I saw about a minute's worth of GN at a tournament recently. It seemed *similar* in 'general' appearance, but there's no way it could be presented the way Scott does. I watched it for about a minute & moved on thinking GTB was better.
1/6/02 10:54 AM
tysaw

Edited: 06-Jan-02
I have experience with both methods. My bjj instructor is a black belt with Carlson Gracie, one of the older guys (pre Sperry, Bustamante, etc.). He has trained with Alvaro and does a lot of the GN in his class warmups. GN is really a good system of exercises, especially with bjj practioners. There is a lot of yoga incorporated in it. I personally like the GTB drills better, for me. They are similiar in some ways but very different in others. Both good, just depends on your goals and what your preferences are. My .02 for what its worth.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.