UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> What part of IT should I get in to?

7/5/10 3:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian Davis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I currently hold a degree in Applied Science (Network Administrator and Support) and i'm one test away from getting my MCSE. I currently work as a Network Technician and MIGHT be getting a Systems Administrator in the near future. I make 51.5K a year but want to get into the 80's. Which way should I go?
7/6/10 5:32 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Database administration, unix/solaris administration get paid well for large companies.

Get a CCIE and get into network engineering to hit that price point with out too many problems.
7/6/10 9:29 AM
gsx_r

ITIL, SOX, any job that gets you a security clearance.

Find what you like then find a nitch inside that.
7/6/10 9:45 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should go into what you enjoy doing and are good at. Do you want challenging work in a field you like or just want to make an arbitrary salary target?

What does a network technician do since that term tends to vary from job to job. Switches and routers? If you enjoy that then up your game. Studying for the CCIE will indeed help you if you do it progressively and with honesty about what you do and don't know. You don't need an IE to make 80k, but you'll probably need one to get much beyond that figure in cisco shops.
7/9/10 6:32 AM
BlackJesus
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What state are you in?
7/11/10 2:18 PM
Brian Davis

Texas
7/12/10 10:42 AM
BlackJesus
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big is right you need to find what you like and do that. If you just look for the most money and not what you enjoy doing your going to hate your job and the money isn't going to be worth it.

Being stuck on a bridge line over a weekend sucks when you like what you're doing, If you don't like what you're working on it would be god alful.

Also if you work in a field that you enjoy you'll pick it up faster.
7/12/10 10:44 AM
BlackJesus

I know thre is a ton of Voip in Texas. I looked mostly in the Houston area but there seemed to be good jobs all over the state.
7/13/10 9:32 PM
asdf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whatever you do, study like a motherfucker and produce like hell.
7/14/10 9:15 AM
Brian Davis

What is VOIP
7/14/10 9:20 PM
CCM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voice Over IP.  Basically a phone going through IP networking
7/15/10 1:58 AM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Telecom is huge in Texas
7/20/10 8:25 AM
Tidbits

My advice would be specialize in Network Security, Database Administration or Virtualization technologies.
9/23/10 3:48 PM
mauler

Do yourself a favor and open up a pizza shop
10/3/10 3:36 AM
DanUK
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Juijitsuboxer - Database administration, unix/solaris administration get paid well for large companies.

Get a CCIE and get into network engineering to hit that price point with out too many problems.

This, this and this. Especially Unix/Solaris.
10/10/10 10:56 PM
theseanster
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/10 10:56 PM
 QA IMO

10/11/10 9:36 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Hahaha! Sweet!
10/14/10 11:20 PM
HEMAN

Brian Davis - I currently hold a degree in Applied Science (Network Administrator and Support) and i'm one test away from getting my MCSE. I currently work as a Network Technician and MIGHT be getting a Systems Administrator in the near future. I make 51.5K a year but want to get into the 80's. Which way should I go?

Stick with Windows System Administration if that's what you like. You seem to have the credentials for this position already. Making 80k in Texas??? Might be an issue because the cost of living there is so LOW. I make 75k here in DC/VA because of the cost of living is higher. Additionally...I'm only a SUPPORT guy :( :( :(
10/25/10 10:41 PM
Jason
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Information Assurance/Cyber Security. Biggest Market in IT over the next 50 years!
11/25/10 2:47 PM
Brainscan

Brian Davis - What is VOIP

Im not saying anything negative bro...Im really not but how are you a network tech and dont know what VOIP is? Im just asking. Please dont take this the wrong way.
11/25/10 2:48 PM
Brainscan

By the way get into security.....I make 95 as a IT manager in security and I live in BFE. I work for a large food distributor.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.