UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ford returns to MFC after acrimonious split

7/8/10 12:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

In a move that an overwhelming majority in the mixed martial arts world believed would never happen, Canadian welterweight sensation Ryan “The Real Deal” Ford has signed a new multi-fight contract with the Maximum Fighting Championship.

A former two-time challenger for the MFC’s 170-pound title, Ford and the MFC bitterly parted ways in early 2009 and the acrimonious split resulted in a rift that most insiders considered impossible to repair. But out of nowhere, there has been a mending of fences and Ford (12-2) is back in the MFC looking to rejuvenate a career that had dramatically stalled in his year-long absence from the organization.

“It’s unfortunate and a shame what happened the first time around, but I think everyone has grown since then,” offered MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich. “This time around I hope that Ryan reaches the goals he set for himself – the goals he started with in the MFC right from the beginning.

“I hope that he lives up to his abilities that we all know he has. He’s going to be fighting top-notch talent so we will certainly see what he truly has.”

Now fighting out of the ZUMA training centre in Victoria, British Columbia, Ford is expected to make his return to the ring at MFC 26 on Friday, September 10. An official announcement on the host city and lineup for that card is forthcoming.

“I think this is very exciting for the fans,” said Adam Zugec, Ford’s trainer at ZUMA. “There’s been a lot of drama ... just like a reality show, and I think the fans really love that.

“I’m expecting great things from Ryan. He’s made to be on TV, his persona is perfect for the MFC’s shows on HDNet, and Mark and the MFC is so good at marketing its fighters on television.

“I always knew that eventually both parties would be back working together. Both sides needed some time to clear their heads and start a new plan. As everyone started to mature they’ve become more willing to work with each other and that’s good for both sides.”

Ford made his MFC and professional mixed martial arts debut back in August 2007, instantly becoming a fan favorite as he rattled off six straight wins including three inside the opening round. His biggest victory in that initial phase of his career came via a second-round submission of veteran Pete Spratt – an outcome that while marred by strikes coming after the bell to end Round 1 also drew Ford favorable comparisons to Georges St. Pierre at the same time of their respective careers.

Following his sixth win, Ford earned a shot at the vacant MFC welterweight title, and although he dominated much of the fight with his takedowns, the Edmonton, Alberta, native was caught in an armbar and forced to tap out to veteran Pat Healy midway through the third round. Two victories followed for Ford which garnered him a rematch with Healy but the reigning champ held onto his belt with a tight five-round, split-decision outcome in his favor.

Unable to agree on the terms of a new contract, Ford and the MFC parted ways soon after the Healy rematch.  But at long last, Ford has returned to where his blossoming career began.

7/8/10 12:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sgavin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first
7/8/10 12:17 AM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Well well well, hosers"

7/8/10 12:37 AM
Employer

may he win a couple fights and quickly leave to an organization that's at least in the top 5
7/8/10 2:55 AM
chokeoutfan

MFC is top 5. Hater
7/8/10 3:47 AM
LeftLowKick
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UfcSpyGUY -  dude iin the vid reminds me of skala

lol
7/8/10 5:00 AM
Dawkins

chokeoutfan - MFC is top 5. Hater

Lol Get over it all ready. Not a top five promotion, but hopefully this show will be the start of a new era.
7/8/10 5:15 AM
Utah get me two

"Canadian welterweight sensation"?
7/8/10 5:45 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice Pavelich. 

Brings back an exciting fighter, despite past issues.  Good business for both.
7/8/10 6:01 AM
Grein

Pavelich is GOAT, according to himself and his mirror.
7/8/10 7:12 AM
TotalFightSource

lol

in first!

and MFC is top 5!

(get it?)

7/8/10 8:19 AM
fabes
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what - please, hire a professional PR rep and STFU

He really should have someone else do PR for him. That being said, he does put together some great fights.
7/8/10 9:00 AM
Morgz
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UfcSpyGUY -  TOP 5 IN WHAT EXACTLY? LOL

Do a search on threads in the last 6 months about the MFC in the top 5 -- there is some UG humor you may be missing
7/8/10 9:14 AM
LambertCFMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You would think at 12-2, 11 finishes, and four straight first round victories that he could of done better than returning to MFC.
7/8/10 9:27 AM
Utah get me two

Pav is like the restaurant manager in "Heat."
7/8/10 9:36 AM
LTL
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does this mean he will finally be getting paid more than $800 a fight? Sure hope so.

TTT for Ryan Ford getting paid!

7/8/10 10:09 AM
ThEUniT

Good sign by the MFC.
7/8/10 10:09 AM
fight4real
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What other welterweights does MFC have signed? He said Ford will be facing top talent so I was wondering who was on the roster.

Thanks in advance.

oh yeah, need another welterweight?
7/8/10 10:32 AM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chokeonmfcdick - MFC is top 5.

Not even a top 5 tent show.
7/8/10 12:16 PM
13pitbulls

studiocamp - 
chokeonmfcdick - MFC is top 5.

Not even a top 5 tent show.

Spits coffee on screen, laughing my ass off!
7/8/10 1:18 PM
butcher4
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Wilson would put Ford to sleep IMO.
7/8/10 1:33 PM
guardbr8kr

This is going to set Ford's career back imo...

I doubt now we will never get to see him in the UFC.
7/8/10 1:37 PM
guardbr8kr

chokeoutfan - MFC is top 5. Hater

I'd still like to punch this guy in the face, he has a very punchable face.

Bluey please...

http://www.maximumfighting.com/images/staff/scott-staff.jpg
7/8/10 1:57 PM
Dave Pavelich

MFC welterweights.

Jesse Juarez (15-5)

Pete Spratt (21-17)

Luigi Fioravanti (17-8)

John Alessio (28-13)

Paul Daley (23-9)

Ryan Ford (12-2)

Nick Thompson (38-12)

Thiago Goncalves (13-3)

Nathan Gunn (7-2)

Keto Allen (4-0)

off the top of my head
7/8/10 3:27 PM
kidpresentable
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wilson would be a good sign!  My rib still hurts from him when it is cold.....and I live in Minnesota where it is cold all but 3 days a year

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.