UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Sporadic Wi Fi Access?

7/8/10 9:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Beeno
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok I have googled my ass off, but my issue is too vague to find anything.

My laptop has lately been REALLY weird to where it will work just fine for a bit, then the internet stalls out for a few minutes. During this time, windows (7) does not notify me that I've lost network access.

I go to status and most of the time it appears packets are going back and forth though not a ton.

I have a linksys wireless G router (WEP access), when I plug in to ethernet the network is just fine. Xbox 360 works over the network 100% of the time. I think it's my laptop but not sure what. Toshiba - wifi is built in. All spyware and anti-virus scans are good. Doesn't matter if it's Chrome or IE. Usually I force disconnect from the network and reconnect and it's all good. Drivers are updated.

Any ideas on what to do to narrow down my issue?

the only thing I've done differently is turn off my SSID broadcast. Would that cause my issue?
7/9/10 3:58 AM
JOB
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disabling the SSID wouldn't cause it.

It may be conflicting networks - try changing the wifi channel.

Also, don't use WEP :) It's terribly insecure.
7/9/10 10:16 AM
Beeno
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB,

I know WEP is garbage.... I've been meaning to change but once 7 came out, it took me a lot of work to get my media center and my laptop and 360 to sync together... I've just been putting it off until I go with an N ruoter.

I changed my SSID broadcast back last night, it actually seems to have helped resolve the issue. If it pops up again or persists, I'll change the wifi channel (I think it's on 6 or 13, I can't recall.)

Thanks
7/9/10 12:56 PM
JOB
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No probs - strange that an SSID broadcast would make a difference. If it happens again, see how a difference channel goes for you.
7/10/10 12:38 AM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SSID name change won't do a thing.

You have three channels to use 1, 6, 11 - best chances will be on 11.  Also - update your drivers.
7/11/10 10:23 PM
Beeno

Ok, changed the power off settings like you described for the wifi adapter. Couldn't change the password wakeup setting though it was grayed out (maybe because I have a BIOS password? Not sure, but hasn't been an issue before.)

Strangely enough, I haven't had one issue since I turned SSID broadcast back on. Very weird that the problem started once I turned it off, and stopped when I set it back...

And I am on Channel 11, is it worth changing? No issues on anything else including the xbox, though it is wired.
7/12/10 10:22 PM
Beeno

Yeah I did that too anyway.

Still has it's hiccups (never loses connection to the network) just seems to stall out for a good 30-60 seconds or so, then refreshing seems to bring it back sometimes, but it's much less than before.

MNaybe I'll try changing to channel 6?
7/12/10 10:24 PM
Road Warrior Fin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beeno - sometimes a crappy wireless chip/card can do that.  Are you by chance running torrents or doing bandwidth intensive tasks when this happens?
7/13/10 10:43 AM
Beeno

No I don't do any torrenting, and nothing going on in the BG. Just surfing.

It's the built-in card so I imagine it could just be that, I'm just surprised it worked flawlessly before and suddenly it is crapping in and out.
7/20/10 12:22 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IP conflict perhaps? Got multiple computers connecting by wireless without static IPs?
7/20/10 8:23 AM
Tidbits
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1.Update drivers and firmware on the card
2.update firmware on the router
3.allow windows to manage the connection (not the card manufacturers software) or use the cards software if windows is managing (basically change it)
4.change over to WPA with TKIP or AES encryption
5.change the wireless channel
6.change power settings
7.check the placement of the router (make sure it is not near a microwave or some device that could interfere)
8.use a static IP address

That's about all I can think of. My wife had the same issue, and updating drivers/firmware resolved.
7/21/10 12:32 PM
Beeno

Ironically I updated drivers through Toshiba's website and it was going a little better. Then Windows Update had a drive update to my LAN stuff and then nothing worked at all. I had to roll it back and then it was fine.

Seems to be running a bit better after changing the wireless channel. I will change the WEP to something else when I buy a new router. It took a lot of work to get eveyrthing working right to stream media center to the Xbox and I REALLY don't want to go through all of that again until I have to.

And the laptop is the only wireless device on, there's just a desktop, a laptop and a 360 on the network. Most of the time it's just the laptop in use.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.