UnderGround Forums

Rodrigo Gracie >> Gracie Ju-Jitsu compared to American Ju-Jitsu?

7/9/10 9:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lddavis42
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train at Infinite Mixed Martial Arts with Adam and Kate Martinez in there Kajukenbo program, and Ju-Jitsu program! My question is what is really the difference between American and Gracie Ju-Jitsu? I'm new to Ju-Jitsu, so I'm sorry if thats a dumb question.
2/15/11 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cee
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie Jiu-jitsu is the style of close combat developed by the Gracie family of Brazil. The style finds its framework from the Pre-WWII Kodokan Judo of Mitsuyo Maeda and his collective experience, and is combined through the years of practical application by members of the Gracie family.

The resultant body of technique and approach is what we now know as Gracie/Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

As far as American Jujitsu goes, it can be from various sources with various approaches, all of which fall under the umbrella term of "American" Ju-jitsu.

Perhaps if you named a source or a major practitioner of American Ju-jitsu, I could be of more help.

I am a former NYC student of Rodrigo Gracie's, and I'm more than sure that he has no problem with me fielding questions such as these in his stead.

Osu, Cee.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.