UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> I'm getting out of the sportbike world

7/9/10 10:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a little one on the way and think its a bit irresponsible of me to have a hobby that carries some signifcant risk of death. I got the VFR serviced and ready to sell. Taking it down the mountain to the shop reminded me of exactly what I love about sportbikes.

You're really at one with a bike. You think it, the bike does it. Its an extension of you. I was also reminded of the danger as an SUV merged into my lane while I was doing 80 in a 45 leaned into a sweeper. :/

In the interim I'll be doing downhill mountain biking and snowboarding, then expect to see a nice sports car in the next year or two when I've got some $$ saved.
7/11/10 1:56 AM
White347LX
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ya big pansy...
7/11/10 10:27 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha! I do love bikes. Its possible I might get a track bike as well and just do it that way instead. We'll see whats in the cards.
7/12/10 10:42 AM
White347LX
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear ya man. It makes no sense to someone who has never been on a track when I say trackdays are safer than street riding but I'm sure you understand that perfectly.

No minivans, no cops, clean pavement and emergency workers at your disposal is the way to go for serious sportbike use, IMO.
7/12/10 9:11 PM
big_slacker

Yeah, my typical mellow ride is at the speeds above on a road that has a center divider on one side, a guardrail and a cliff on the other. I know intellectually that its not safe, but I'm comfortable and going slower feels like driving miss daisy.

My only problem with a track bike is I'd need to buy a truck to go along with it and that is just excessive. So as stated I'll try the MTB/snowboard thing for a year and see how much I miss it. It's gonna be weird not having a bike.
7/17/10 4:39 PM
deafwoody
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got back into the sportbike world...

Missed it big time.

I can completly understand the rational of someone wanting to get back out.

Man is my bike fast though.I have a good chance of getting into trouble.....
7/21/10 1:52 AM
PeterIrl
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - I hear ya man. It makes no sense to someone who has never been on a track when I say trackdays are safer than street riding but I'm sure you understand that perfectly.

No minivans, no cops, clean pavement and emergency workers at your disposal is the way to go for serious sportbike use, IMO.

Yep, I've pretty much stopped riding on the road at all.

Trackdays FTW!
7/26/10 12:10 AM
Ironbar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - Yeah, my typical mellow ride is at the speeds above on a road that has a center divider on one side, a guardrail and a cliff on the other. I know intellectually that its not safe, but I'm comfortable and going slower feels like driving miss daisy.

My only problem with a track bike is I'd need to buy a truck to go along with it and that is just excessive. So as stated I'll try the MTB/snowboard thing for a year and see how much I miss it. It's gonna be weird not having a bike.

A car can pull a trailered track bike and everything that goes with it without any problem.

Two months ago I towed over 2500lbs of Uhaul and cargo across Canada with an Impreza. Yes that was a little illegal.
7/26/10 10:48 AM
big_slacker

Yeah, I have been thinking of a trailer hitch for the A4. It may be an option, the car has enough power to pull the 1k lbs or so it would probably take and we do have a few tracks in easy driving range.
7/26/10 7:26 PM
White347LX

Those Harbor Freight super Chinese specials with 12" wheels only weigh about 200 lbs and they'll haul 2 bikes easy. I just hauled a Busa 500 miles 75 mph nonstop on one and the axle bearings weren't even warm.
8/4/10 10:43 AM
big_slacker

Just as an update, sold the bike yesterday. Over skype even, I do everything freakin' remote. First time in years I'm without a motorcycle. Weird....
8/5/10 11:04 PM
White347LX

Well, just let me know when you want another one. I'm the buyer for Crashedtoys.com and I'm at all the dealer auctions. I'll hook you up with something at cost anytime.
8/11/10 11:04 AM
big_slacker

Awesome, thanks for the offer.
8/11/10 12:25 PM
CoreNobody
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Understandable totally.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.