UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> I can't hit anything with my right hand

7/11/10 10:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SidRon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/11/10 11:09 PM

When I spar I feel like I have an effective left jab and can score hits with it but anytime I try to hit with my right cross it feels real clumsy and seems to always fall short by like a foot or more. If anybody has tips on how to score with the right cross I would appreciqate it. I have watched several short clips on how to throw it online but I just can't seem to make it happen in practice.

P.S. I am posting this on the boxing forum also.
7/12/10 12:25 PM
Bankable
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you're missing by a foot or more you must not be moving with your punches. step with your punches to maintain striking distance.
7/12/10 1:58 PM
SidRon
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bankable - if you're missing by a foot or more you must not be moving with your punches. step with your punches to maintain striking distance.

Here is how I do it now. I step my left foot forward to throw a jab and then without stepping any further I rotate and throw the cross. I often get the feeling that my jab pushes my opponent out of range of my cross.
7/13/10 4:07 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/13/10 4:06 PM
 by not keeping your rear foot under you when you step up with the jab you've removed all power and kept the range identical to your original stance.

step n' glide son, step n', glide.. 
7/16/10 11:33 AM
stlnl2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - 
Bankable - if you're missing by a foot or more you must not be moving with your punches. step with your punches to maintain striking distance.

Here is how I do it now. I step my left foot forward to throw a jab and then without stepping any further I rotate and throw the cross. I often get the feeling that my jab pushes my opponent out of range of my cross.

Bull answered this already, but the way I was trained is to pretend my jab is connected to BOTH feet. The front one steps with the jab (ideally landing the jab as foot touches to get more snap on it) and as the jab goes back home the rear foot advances to allow the cross to hit with better range (closer) and more power (feet under you for the rotation). DOing is is also ideal for leg kick situations as you keep your feet under you better in the event you need to check a kick, guys who lunge with the jab (take too large an entry step, and dont recover with the rear foot) are leg kick bait.

The best way to start doing this (recovering your stance) is to make sure you advance with alot of small quick steps (to glide as Bull said) that are easily recoverable (meaning you are bringing up the rear foot before throwing the cross). Way, way too many guys dont pay proper attention to making this second nature while doing pad work/shadow boxing/bag work and pay for it sparring. A key is taking managable sized steps, and when advancing I would advise a step no bigger than the length of your foot, and often I advance with smaller steps (while keeping weight evenly distributed and moving forward with some lateral foot work) and work myself close enough to land a jab with a small (3-6 inches) step so I can recover my rear foot quickly in the event the cross is there (the guy covered/slipped the jab instead of retreating).

Certain situations, you could throw a cross without recovery, but most require an aggressive and incompetent (a guy who doesnt move his head, presses forward no matter what, and leads with his chin) dance partner, and IMO are not really worth spending a ton of time on.
7/16/10 11:58 AM
SidRon

Thanks for the posts, alot of people mention rotating and turning the rear heel. does the front foot pivot also when youa re rotating or does it stay fixed?
7/16/10 12:15 PM
stlnl2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Front foot stays as it is as you turn over the rear heel to lead the hips into the punch. Ideal weight transfer is about 90% of the weight on the front foot as punch lands, which you "fix" back to 50-50 weight distribution with a nice left hook, where the front foot twists up on the toe (if the range/situation merits a left hook) or a reset of the weight with the rear foot rotating back to the starting position, and taking the right hand back to the cheek with it (meaning retracting the hand with the whole body, the foot leading the hips, and hand going back to face).
7/20/10 2:06 AM
eric-burdo
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull In Chinashop nailed it.

If you are just throwing the Jab, make sure your lead foot steps on the Jab, and slide your rear foot up. Don't just step. Step and Slide.

If you are going to throw the 1-2 (Jab-Cross combo), step on the Jab, then slide the rear foor up and pivot on the extension of the Cross.

Good luck!
7/26/10 3:20 PM
Juicymma
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find the switch jab sets me up very nicely for a cross or overhand. By making the switch step as you jab it throws your oponent off, puts you closer and gets you on the side a little so you can really collect with the cross
7/27/10 10:18 PM
SidRon

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. One more question. When an orthodox stance fighter is facing another orthodox stance fighter should the right cross be coming between the defenders gloves or over the top of the defenders left glove?
7/27/10 10:47 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the opening is the opening, how you get your fist to his jaw doesn't really matter to that detail.  We're talking about real sparring with continous moevement, head movement, hand movement..  you just take advantage of any opening you can get and punch with good clean tight lines.
8/2/10 8:55 PM
HEMAN
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - Thanks for all of the tips everyone. One more question. When an orthodox stance fighter is facing another orthodox stance fighter should the right cross be coming between the defenders gloves or over the top of the defenders left glove?

Maybe this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf7ImPAtnyY&feature=related
8/3/10 10:42 PM
SidRon

Edited: 08/03/10 10:45 PM
Thanks for the video. It seems like that little step to the left helps align your right shoulder with the guys face as opposed to your left shoulder being aligned with his face in the starting position. I noticed that he doesn't seem to bring his back foot up after the jab as people have suggested and before the cross he seems to be just stepping in and out with his left foot and hitting the jab and the cross of off the same step.

I started having some luck hitting the right hand off of a left hook as opposed to a left jab. When I throw a left hook my opponent seems to stay in place and shield the left hook with his right arm and the left hook kind of moves him a little to his left or maybe just keeps him in place so that I can hit him with my right. When I jab my opponent often moves back out of range so my follow up right often misses. Not sure if this makes any sense to anybody. Throwing the cross off of the hook might be dangerous but I can't tell yet. Thanks again for all of the comments.
8/4/10 9:03 PM
HEMAN
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"When I jab my opponent often moves back out of range so my follow up right often misses. Not sure if this makes any sense to anybody."

That's good. If u constantly throw jabs and they are out of your range for a cross...then they must be out of range to counter. They'll get eaten up by jabs all day. Eventually...they'll get frustrated and run into the right cross. You don't need to chase them down.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.