UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Big Ben again!

7/11/10 11:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
boonhorse
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ben Edwards had every right to crack a huge grin while unwrapping the tape from his cement-like hands.
Not only had he survived the torture test which was the eight-man elimination K-1 Oceania World GP, the beast from Queanbeyan booked himself a spot in the big show in South Korea later this year.

He did it the only way he knew how savagely disposing of four-time world champion Paul Slowinski inside a minute.

On seeing Slowinski's knee drop to the canvas for the third and ultimately final time, the 3000 screaming fans inside the National Convention Centre's Royal Theatre went berserk.

''To fight K1 was awesome, let alone to do it a venue like this, with 3000 people cheering for you,'' Edwards said.

''It's unreal man, I never thought this could happen.''

What took place inside the ring on Saturday night was something to behold. Brutality in its rawest form.

Styles varied among the combatants. Some peppered their opponents with a series of blistering kicks, targeting a specific area until the pain became too much to bare.

Not Edwards.

See, this man's a brawler from way back.

Nothing pretty, just 117kg of pure brute force.

Whack, to the kidneys.

Whack, straight to the head.

It's no wonder he describes it at as ''the hardest sport in the world''.

''I've done boxing, I've done technically an MMA [Mixed Martial Arts] fight, but kickboxing's probably the hardest sport in the world,'' Edwards said.

''Because even if you win the fight, you're legs are still banged up, your ankles are swollen, you can't walk, you can't do anything.

''Even after an MMA fight you can still walk around the next day.''

The no-holds-barred style of MMA competition made popular through the Ultimate Fighting Championship has grown into a billion-dollar business worldwide.

This rapid-fire kickboxing format has the potential to become the next money spinner if the K-1 finals are anything to go by. Edwards agrees, judging on the resounding response of the screaming fans.

''I knocked three dudes out tonight man, that's pretty exciting to watch, the big guys trying to smash each other straight away,'' Edwards said.

''I love MMA as well, I love anything fighting, but there's definitely room for both MMA and kickboxing.''

from www.canberratimes.com.au

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.