UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> how much do you think the ufc paid reid to lobby

7/13/10 12:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in NY for them?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2010/07/senates-reid-backs-ufc-push-in-new-york/1
7/13/10 12:19 PM
frontrowbrian

7/13/10 12:22 PM
atrocityexhibit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's supporting business interests based in the state he represents in the Senate. Good move on his part.

And click the link. The stuff he says about the UFC is, as people like to say around here, pretty "good for the sport," no matter whether you're a Democrat, Republican, or neither.
7/13/10 12:27 PM
goku

my naive fren..i bet you voted for obama dint u...
7/13/10 12:28 PM
frontrowbrian

Dingy Harry doesn't have much political capital right now. He's going to lose his seat in November. Obama is so afraid of losing Dingy Harry that he's stumped for him 3 times in the past 2 months in Vegas. Obama has only visited the Gulf, site of the BP oil spill, TWICE.
7/13/10 12:48 PM
HOWtasteMYbigPP
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All you need to do to get MMA sanctioned in New York is to get rid of Bob Reilly.
7/13/10 2:18 PM
goku

TheTFC - The answer is: $25,800

According to opensecrets.org, Zuffa employee Ike Epstein gave a federal maximum contribution of $4,800 dollors to Reid. Kirk Henrdrick, the Zuffa COO gave $1,000.

Dana White and Ike Epstein (who gave to Reid) also contributed $2,400 each to John Ensign, the Republican Senator from Nevada.

Where it gets interesting is that Ike Epstein and Lorenzo Fertitta both gave $10,000 to the Nevada Democratic Party.

There are two main reasons someone may chose to donate directly to the party:

1.) The donor does not want their donation to a specific candidate to be public knowledge. They give the party with the understanding that the $ they donate will be used in a particular candidate's race (to help with mailers, overhead, media, etc).

2.) Federal law limits campaign contributions to $2,400 per election (so in a race with a primary and a general election, you can give $4,800). If you have given the maximum amount and want to support the candidate even more, a donation to the party can be made, again with the understanding that the $ will be used to support the specific candidate.

They could, in theory, just be supporting the party without the knowledge of who the party decides to spend that money on.

I know it may seem shady, but keeping in mind that Reid has raised over $12 Million dollars, I don't know that $25k would be enough money to influence a vote one way or the other.

http://www.opensecrets.org/usearch/index.php?q=zuffa&cx=010677907462955562473%3Anlldkv0jvam&cof=FORID%3A11#555
thats just whats reported

7/13/10 2:23 PM
PeterGBO
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goku - 

According to opensecrets.org, Zuffa employee Ike Epstein gave a federal maximum contribution of $4,800 dollors to Reid. Kirk Henrdrick, the Zuffa COO gave $1,000.

Dana White and Ike Epstein (who gave to Reid) also contributed $2,400 each to John Ensign, the Republican Senator from Nevada.

Where it gets interesting is that Ike Epstein and Lorenzo Fertitta both gave $10,000 to the Nevada Democratic Party.

1.) The donor does not want their donation to a specific candidate to be public knowledge. They give the party with the understanding that the $ they donate will be used in a particular candidate's race (to help with mailers, overhead, media, etc).

2.) Federal law limits campaign contributions to $2,400 per election (so in a race with a primary and a general election, you can give $4,800). If you have given the maximum amount and want to support the candidate even more, a donation to the party can be made, again with the understanding that the $ will be used to support the specific candidate.

They could, in theory, just be supporting the party without the knowledge of who the party decides to spend that money on.

I know it may seem shady, but keeping in mind that Reid has raised over $12 Million dollars, I don't know that $25k would be enough money to influence a vote one way or the other.

http://www.opensecrets.org/usearch/index.php?q=zuffa&cx=010677907462955562473%3Anlldkv0jvam&cof=FORID%3A11#555
thats just whats reported

When you start going through that website and others like it. It becomes apparent that you can buy votes for a lot less than $25k now a days.
7/13/10 2:24 PM
HereWeAre

The amount of money they have given is small potatoes compared to the amount other Companies, Unions and other special interest have given. 

You people just like to stir up shit where there is none. 
7/13/10 2:43 PM
Somerville Bad Boy
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at goku trying to resort to the classic "thats just what's reported" line.

Ya, because this is the 1930's and politicans walk around with a blag bag people can throw cash into...
7/13/10 2:53 PM
crowbar
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can`t beat`em....buy`em.

7/13/10 2:56 PM
goku

so if you guys are so sure about the transperancy why does the article state a different number?
7/13/10 4:09 PM
strykr619

d mo - 

If you think that a company run by "former" mafia members is going to do everything by the books and on the books then you are a naive moran
Lol at your former mafia member bs. (you seriously gonna keep spewing that BS with how high a profile MMA is and the government not looking into their background?) oh btw if your going to call people a MORON at least spell it right. 

7/13/10 4:11 PM
strykr619

Interesting are article on the UFC and its lobbying... 

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/04/ultimate-fighting-championship-defe.html
7/13/10 5:11 PM
goku

TheTFC - 
goku - so if you guys are so sure about the transperancy why does the article state a different number?

Where do you think they got the number from dude? I used OpenSecrets.org and did a seach of "Zuffa", they could have used FEC.gov and did an individual search of everyone's last name.

Your're trying to connect dots that aren't there. USA Today didn't do a story about finding illegal contributions, did they? No. They did research from publicly available and REQUIRED by law forms and got their answer.
the numbers you quoted and the numbersr in the article are different

look, i dont care if you consult with the mayor of pawnee, indiana about his ability to take a deer head as a gift, the reality is that the real political world is shady as hell...do you really think EVERYTHING is reported?

7/13/10 5:36 PM
JimmersonzGlove
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strykr619 -  Interesting are article on the UFC and its lobbying... 

<a href="http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/04/ultimate-fighting-championship-defe.html">http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2010/04/ultimate-fighting-championship-defe.html</a><br type="_moz" />

Check out the comments section of that article. The author states that he received the story of the Zuffa myth directly from Zuffa when writing his article lol.
7/13/10 5:42 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
7/13/10 6:33 PM
Gnarly219
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frontrowbrian -  Dingy Harry doesn't have much political capital right now. He's going to lose his seat in November.

I wish this were the case, but Angle is going to lose her ass. IIRC, Angle made her killing with the Tea Party and in rural Nevada (Nye County, Lincoln County, and a lot of Northern Nevada), but Lowden had the best shot at beating him.
7/13/10 8:02 PM
goku

so tell us wise guru, exactly what are the parameters of what constitutes "fundraising" that needs to be reported
7/13/10 8:11 PM
jbapk

goku -  so tell us wise guru, exactly what are the parameters of what constitutes "fundraising" that needs to be reported

Ah the internet, where any dork can challenge a professional in their field as if they know what they're talking about.
7/13/10 9:07 PM
ajjr0ller
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheTFC has successfully ended this thread.
7/13/10 10:50 PM
frontrowbrian

Gnarly219 - 
frontrowbrian -  Dingy Harry doesn't have much political capital right now. He's going to lose his seat in November.

I wish this were the case, but Angle is going to lose her ass. IIRC, Angle made her killing with the Tea Party and in rural Nevada (Nye County, Lincoln County, and a lot of Northern Nevada), but Lowden had the best shot at beating him.
it's early but Angle is still up in the polls by about 4-5 points. I can't see how Reid's alliance with Obama will help him. Obama is not a popular president

7/13/10 10:58 PM
jbapk

frontrowbrian - 
Gnarly219 - 

it's early but Angle is still up in the polls by about 4-5 points. I can't see how Reid's alliance with Obama will help him. Obama is not a popular president

Does he get kicked out of parties for being a drunken idiot?
7/13/10 11:16 PM
jaseprobst
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the first time I've ever agreed with Reid on anything.

As a member of my tribe, I must shun him for being a Dem.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.