UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Just adopted two cats

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/14/10 7:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My gf wanted to get a cat, and quite frankly I wanted one as well. Went to a local no-kill shelter and wanted to take them all home. They were short on space and said we could take two for the normal adoption fee of one. It was a great non-profit - all the shots, neuterings, Feline Luk tests done, and first two vet visists are covered by them.

Since we wanted to take them ALL home we went ahead and after about 3 visits picked two.

My sister owned a cat when I was growing up, but this is my first time actually owning a pet as an adult. I have a couple questions.

As I expected as soon as we got them home they went into hiding to find a comfort zone. One took up refuge behind my couch in the living room, the other under my bed upstairs. I didn't want to rush them, so I sat some food and water along with the litter box near the couch in the same room. I then ran out and bought a cheap $3 litterbox and put a setup in my room so the cat could eventually leave its space on its own.

After about 6 hours the cat downstairs came out and peeked at me, then ran back behind the couch. Then about 2 minutes later it slowly came out and started demanding affection and pretty much claimed me and the couch as her own lol. That cat hung out and watched some baseball with me, but every time I'd get up to get a drink or something it'd go back to hiding for a spell.

The other upstairs didn't come out at all. Obviously I had to sleep so I went ahead and shut my door only to wake up after about an hour to it meowing. The meowing went on a lot, but finally about an hour before I had to get up for work it came out and let me pet it. Like the other it would go back to hiding if I left. When I came back from my shower it had taken off I think downstairs behind the couch lol

Anyway, is there any best way to intergrate these cats? They're both about a year old and from a shelter that let the cats kind of free roam inside. I know you can't force them to like each other but I was hoping you could help things along.

Also, any particularly good scratching posts? I'd like to get them a badass cat condo thing but they are retardedly expensive.

Also, which mechanized litterbox is worth its salt? I think they'd be worth the money if they actually work.

Here's a quick 4 AM pic of a tired kitty. The other is too black to get one without a flash lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/invalid76/omgKitty.jpg
7/21/10 8:10 AM
invalid
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're pretty selective when they tolerate each other being close. Most of the time one will be eating and not mind the other sitting around and smelling her, but it's a guarenteed fight if both try and get near my bed upstairs. Weird stuff, but nothing serious.

That's perfectly normal for some hissing and chasing right?
7/25/10 10:12 PM
Elvis
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All sounds pretty normal. Takes time for the to adjust not only to the new place, but to you and the other cat. Remember EVERYTHING is new to them at the moment. As said they'll eventually learn to tolerate each other and since they're close in age, most likely get on. Took a while for my brothers cat (when he lived with me) to get used to my new kitten but in the end they got on pretty well.

Elvis

8/4/10 9:31 AM
invalid

Thanks for the advice.

It's been about a month, and the one in the picture has clearly established herself as the dominant one. She still chases the other one down from time to time, but it's not really anything as worrying as it once was. At first I was just keeping them seperated and only letting them together when I could watch them both.

I'd clap and give a stern 'no' when shithead took off after the other cat. I tried the spray bottle, too. That really didn't do anything except make her scared when I had a spray bottle in my hand. Finally I did positive reinforcement and gave out a treat every time she's nice to the other one. The fatass is super polite now lol

It's easy to forget how different they are than dogs when it comes to these things.
8/4/10 11:47 PM
Elvis
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah cats are very different. You can yell at a dog, even give them a slap on the rump and a couple of minutes later they'll be back on top of you want more attention. You do that to a cat, it will run away and most likely find something of yours to pee on.

Elvis
10/29/11 11:45 AM
ChiChi778
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got this thing called the pet zoom. You've probably seen it on TV infomercials. The dogs I've tried it on are pretty selective with it but cats hear it really well. I've used the spray bottle and no-scratch and none of that worked but pet zoom makes my cat stop what ever it is shes doing wrong and run away. It's just a blue remote looking thing that makes a really high pitched noise that spooks your pets. I don't think it hurts them though. I think it's only about 10 bucks and you can find it at wal-mart or CVS. That might help you out.
10/29/11 8:28 PM
Elvis

Yeah would be interested to know how it all went... We were going to get a new cat and my wife boycotted at the last minute because our cat wasn't social at the pet shelter while we were away on honeymoon. Dammit!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.