UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Buying my first handgun..need some advice/help

7/14/10 12:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JerseyCityMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been putting off buying a handgun, but my neighborhood has gotten out of control. Last night, there was a home invasion 3 houses down from me and there were 5-6 in my city just last week. What could I get in the area of $300-400 and what guns do you guys recommend?
7/14/10 12:11 PM
Willybone
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can get a decent .357 revolver for that much.
Or consider a used Glock, which are great guns for the money.
7/14/10 12:36 PM
frankiscool
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get a Rossi .357 or .38.

Dependable, cheap, easy to use, etc.  Lifetime warranty.

In your price range.
7/14/10 12:50 PM
LittleJoeMama
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're just getting a firearm for home defense, let me recommend a 12 gauge shotgun. I picked up a Mossberg 500 8 shot with 20" barrel for $300.

For carry, you could probably find a used Glock or CZ 75B for around $400.
7/14/10 12:54 PM
LittleJoeMama
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you'd be most likely to get robbed/home invasion when you are entering or exiting your house, so you probably should carry. Be ready and alert when exiting and entering. Same with your car.
7/14/10 12:56 PM
MichaelVronsky
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dont tell them you're from jersey city
7/14/10 1:03 PM
unclephilly
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/14/10 1:11 PM

2. Learn firearm safety.
7. Practice/ take practical shooting class
then
2. Learn firearm safety.
2. Learn firearm safety.
7. Practice
6.5 Get your CCW
7. Practice
7. Practice
7. Practice
7. Practice

Remember...no mater what anyone...ANYONE tells you...this is a tool. A tool of destruction. A tool that DESTROYS. A tool that's main purpose is to kill. Treat it as such. You respect it and treat it right it will treat you right and possibly save your life. You disrespect it and it'll be like a wild dog and bite you when you aren't looking.

But rest assured, it's main purpose, in the long run, is to kill.
7/14/10 2:24 PM
Treadlite82
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought one of these as my first and have been shooting it about once a week and haven't had any issues.  I lot of people on here are going to say Colt 1911 or Glock.

I bought this though because it was small and light weight.  I have been taking it with me backpacking.

It shoots really well.  They have a lifetime guarantee but I have heard it takes awhile to get them back once you send them in.
7/14/10 2:32 PM
BobAsh

LittleJoeMama - If you're just getting a firearm for home defense, let me recommend a 12 gauge shotgun. I picked up a Mossberg 500 8 shot with 20" barrel for $300.

Disagree.  A pistol is the ultimate defensive weapon IMO (assuming you can shoot it), and I'm famous for my shotguns.

A pistol is much more portable and thus more likely to be available to use.  Also target aquisition is way faster.

7/14/10 2:35 PM
Willybone
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unclephilly - this is a tool. ... A tool that's main purpose is to kill. 
I want to epoxy a bottle opener to my pistol.
"What's that?"
It's a tool. A tool that's main purpose to open beers. It's second purpose is to kill. But, mostly I use it to open beers.
7/14/10 2:37 PM
unclephilly
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it were up to me...

With a light.
7/14/10 2:39 PM
BobAsh

JerseyCityMMA - What could I get in the area of $300-400 and what guns do you guys recommend?
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/sig-p6-p225-9mm-caliber,-semi-auto-pistol,-g-vg-/products_id/1903

7/14/10 2:45 PM
The PBC
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&page=1

That's what you need. You in Jersey? What's the law there on handguns?

Here in Fla we shoot first and ask questions later.
7/14/10 2:48 PM
LittleJoeMama

BobAsh - 
LittleJoeMama - If you're just getting a firearm for home defense, let me recommend a 12 gauge shotgun. I picked up a Mossberg 500 8 shot with 20" barrel for $300.

Disagree.  A pistol is the ultimate defensive weapon IMO (assuming you can shoot it), and I'm famous for my shotguns.

A pistol is much more portable and thus more likely to be available to use.  Also target aquisition is way faster.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Bob. I'll take a shotgun over a pistol all day long in a defensive situation. Victory through superior firepower, but to each his own.
7/14/10 2:55 PM
TheCorrect
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerseyCityMMA - Ive been putting off buying a handgun, but my neighborhood has gotten out of control. Last night, there was a home invasion 3 houses down from me and there were 5-6 in my city just last week. What could I get in the area of $300-400 and what guns do you guys recommend?

Take a look at the Beretta PX4 Storm. You can get the 9mm version for less than $500. Fill up its 17 round clip with hollowpoints and relax.

Very low recoil, even for a 9mm. Feels great in your hand. Very reliable & accurate.
7/14/10 3:00 PM
Rashad's official nipple Tweaker
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JCMMA...you still live in Jersey I assume..If so what steps did you take to get the Lisencse?

7/14/10 3:12 PM
TheCorrect

Ahren_nhb -  Clip?

Like hair clip?

LOL! Pardon me...Magazine.
7/14/10 3:20 PM
LITTLEFATMEXY
1001 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FOR $300-$400  I WOULDN'T EVEN BUY A HANDGUN, I WOULD BUY A MOSSBERG..............THE ONLY THING YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY AT THAT PRICE IS A GLOCK.......AND IF YOU ARE GOING WITH A GLOCK I WOULD SUGGEST THE GLOCK 17...........JUST MY OPINION.
7/14/10 3:29 PM
BobAsh

LittleJoeMama - I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Bob. I'll take a shotgun over a pistol all day long in a defensive situation. Victory through superior firepower, but to each his own.
I know lots of guys that feel the same as you do, and it's not invalid.  I just think in a fast moving situation the pistol is a better choice.

If you ever get a chance to shoot 3-gun you'll know what I mean.

7/14/10 3:46 PM
Handsomejaws
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip that I use for home defense. I paid $220, it's an awesome gun. I imagine the intruders seeing or hearing me pump that gun will cause them to run in terror, doubt I'll ever have to use it.
7/14/10 3:58 PM
Stupidnewbie
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grapple Armor, Head Honcho
Click me! 
7/14/10 4:53 PM
jasperb
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go with a semi auto revolvers are not as fast when you need to throw lead in a hurry. I would also look for something used, cars are like cars let someone else take the hit on a new one.
7/14/10 5:21 PM
Lionheart XIX

I know you said handgun, but I would get a shotgun. 12 gauge or 20 gauge will work.

If you have to get a handgun, I would recommend a Springfield XD, Glock, or Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. My vote goes to the XD but they are all good guns.

A revolver is the best choice but the lack of rounds and possible multiple people breaking into your house would lead me to say a semi auto with a larger capacity.
7/14/10 7:16 PM
Muppetmower88

go with a shotgun by the bed. 870's and mossbergs are know to be like a warm sweater that gets warmer with age, you can count on them.

and chiuauas are rated 10 as gaurd dogs. they will let you know when shits about to go down.
7/14/10 7:23 PM
JerseyCityMMA

Muppetmower88 - go with a shotgun by the bed. 870's and mossbergs are know to be like a warm sweater that gets warmer with age, you can count on them.

and chiuauas are rated 10 as gaurd dogs. they will let you know when shits about to go down.

LOL, so true about Chihuahuas...mine is crazy as fuck!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.