UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Buying my first handgun..need some advice/help

7/14/10 7:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are you in jersey city? have you applied yet? no reason to go gun shopping until you've got that done. you may be unpleasantly surprised at what you'll go through to get the permits.

7/14/10 7:49 PM
Team Cup
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

balloon knotter - are you in jersey city? have you applied yet? no reason to go gun shopping until you've got that done. you may be unpleasantly surprised at what you'll go through to get the permits.

THIS

When I lived in Edgewater, NJ... It took me over a year to get my "firearms identification card" and 2 years to get my permit to purchase a pistol.
7/14/10 7:50 PM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm currently trying to decide between a new Walther PPS (.40 or 9mm) or a used Glock 27... Unfortunately, no Springfield Armory guns are allowed in Mass. and any Glocks sold must have been owned in Mass. prior to '98 (so they're at least 12 years old).

Anyone have any input?
7/14/10 7:53 PM
Team Cup
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaveM - I'm currently trying to decide between a new Walther PPS (.40 or 9mm) or a used Glock 27... Unfortunately, no Springfield Armory guns are allowed in Mass. and any Glocks sold must have been owned in Mass. prior to '98 (so they're at least 12 years old).

Anyone have any input?

I have a Glock 27.. It converted me into a Glock fan after being a hater for some time.. I only bought it because I got a GREAT deal on it, but I'm glad I did..

I don't know much about the PPS, but I did just purchase a P22.. I've heard good things about Walthers.
7/14/10 8:17 PM
Dojosensei
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have:

HiPoint 9mm (2)
Ruger LCP (3)
Ruger LCR
Taurus pt140 Mil Pro
Glock 26, 27 and 39
Keltec PF9 (2)
Ruger Mark II
Walther P22
and a few others

I'd say my favorites would be either the Glock 26, Glock 39 or the LCP.

But it all depends on what you are looking for and why. The Hipoints you will hear a lot of bad shit about, most is true. Usually failure to feed comments. Polishing the feed actually got rid of all of that for me and it's accurate and reliable now and they are cheap.
7/14/10 8:20 PM
jacktripper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100kgkilla - Get a revolver in something other than .357 magnum. Indoors the .357 magnum has been known to disorient the user due to it's blinding flash and brutal sound. I would get one in .45acp, 44 special, or even 38special and train with it until you are proficient with it. Also, a good dog can serve as a great alarm and can tear someone's ass up.

you can use .38sp in a .357
7/14/10 10:12 PM
Gforce
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used G17 at your price range.

The laws in Mass are precisely the kind of shit that is going to get clobbered with the recent US Supreme Court ruling. Crazy restrictions on the type of guns you can have in your home are going to be toast.
7/14/10 10:53 PM
gregbrady
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jacktripper - 
100kgkilla - Get a revolver in something other than .357 magnum. Indoors the .357 magnum has been known to disorient the user due to it's blinding flash and brutal sound. I would get one in .45acp, 44 special, or even 38special and train with it until you are proficient with it. Also, a good dog can serve as a great alarm and can tear someone's ass up.

if you're just going to use .38's in a .357 just buy a .38 though. There's no reason to carry around the more robust structure of a .357 if you're only shooting .38's out of it.
7/14/10 10:58 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gregbrady - 
jacktripper - 

if you're just going to use .38's in a .357 just buy a .38 though. There's no reason to carry around the more robust structure of a .357 if you're only shooting .38's out of it.

except that you can still take it out and shoot .357 for the fun of it, and keep it loaded with .38 for home if you want.

7/14/10 10:59 PM
balloon knotter

balloon knotter - 
gregbrady - 
jacktripper - 

except that you can still take it out and shoot .357 for the fun of it, and keep it loaded with .38 for home if you want.

editted to add that if JerseyCityMMA lives in Jersey City he isn't going to be carrying it so that's not a concern.
7/14/10 11:00 PM
gregbrady
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^well that's not only using .38's though. ;)
7/14/10 11:31 PM
drjim

Unless the invader is so high he doesn't care but hearing the sound of pump shotgun will scare the shit out of most people. And if it doesn't hope you have a carpet cleaner.
7/14/10 11:38 PM
Lionheart XIX

Edited: 07/14/10 11:39 PM
Double
7/14/10 11:41 PM
Lionheart XIX

Very true and the reason I told my dad to load 38 special + P's in his .357 because he would be blind and deaf after shooting that thing off in a room at night.
7/15/10 10:16 AM
MichaelVronsky
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just got my FID card here in Jersey City. the process was not fun, fast or easy.
7/15/10 8:31 PM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm also curious about opinions on 9mm vs .40s&w...

I've shot pretty much everything up through .45 and handled it pretty well but they were spread out over so many years that it isn't really possible for me to compare.

I've been told that .40 actually has more kick than .45.
7/15/10 8:40 PM
gregbrady

^if you want recoil move to revolvers like the rest of the men :)
7/15/10 8:46 PM
Dexter Morgan

"^if you want recoil move to revolvers like the rest of the men :) "

You sound like you're a fan of the S&W.500-Magnum. Me too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EoJowwbhu8

It only holds five rounds. But that's probably four more than you'll need.

7/15/10 8:51 PM
gregbrady

^I fire it with my epenis
7/16/10 10:48 AM
TheCorrect
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaveM - I'm also curious about opinions on 9mm vs .40s&w...

I've shot pretty much everything up through .45 and handled it pretty well but they were spread out over so many years that it isn't really possible for me to compare.

I've been told that .40 actually has more kick than .45.

In my experience a .45 generally has more kick than a .40, but a lot depends on the type of gun & ammo.

I prefer 9mm for a few reasons. Less kick = more control, more bullets per magazine, cheaper ammo, still powerful enough to do the job.
12/27/10 11:27 PM
Tahiti Bo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/4/12 8:31 PM
Vincent Fields
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just giving my 2 cents worth on this old but timeless thread. For home defense you can't beat a 45 semi auto high capacity pistol with a light attached. If you can afford it go with a Springfield Armory 45 XD or XDM with a 5+ inch barrel. Surprisingly little kick (because it's such a large pistol), 14 rounds of .45 ammo. Depending on your budget get a cheap light ($100 TLR1) or a pricier one that has a green laser with it.

For budget conscious go with a High Point 45. They are only about $160. That is very cheap for a semi-auto 45 pistol. While they aren't near Glock quality, they will do just fine if not shot thousands of rounds.

Having a 45 with light in one hand is a huge advantage that lets your other hand to be free in a home defense situation. It lets you do things like calling the cops or pushing the bad guy away with your free hand right before you shoot.
2/7/12 5:09 PM
john76
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

since he's in NJ

he probably hasn't gotten cleared for his FID card yet... let alone his pistol permits

and that's not even to carry... just to buy/own
2/7/12 7:43 PM
MichaelVronsky
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ betting your life on a HighPoint. Im sorry but thats terrible advice. Phone Post
2/7/12 8:47 PM
Vincent Fields
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MichaelVronsky - LOL @ betting your life on a HighPoint. Im sorry but thats terrible advice. Phone Post

Michael, while high point is a lower quality pistol compared to something high end like a glock or a springfield armory, they still go bang when you squeeze the trigger. Of the 3 people I know who have them, none of them have had any jams, missfires, feeding issues, etc. I could see them wearing down after a few thousand rounds, but for a rarely fired pistol I think it wouldn't be a problem. (Albiet I haven't done research on them and don't know if folks are having trouble with them other than the 3 guys I know).

For folks on a budget they can get a 45 pistol with light rail, which is a great home defense combination (assuming they put a light on it).

Also, some people like to have several self-defense guns in the house. It can get very pricey trying to put a high-end pistol in each room. High-point 45's present an affordable solution to that issue.

By the way... ya'll know what the most important thing in a gunfight is?

Have a gun.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.