UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Need Guitar.Reccomend one

7/14/10 1:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Want to get back into Playing. Used to play seriously but I don't want to shell out $1000 for a guitar. Can anyone recomend a decent guir for $500 or less.

I really don't use the Whammy bar much so I don't feel there is a need for a floyd rose
7/14/10 6:40 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey man, Heres a tip. Check craigslist for used guitars. I needed cash real bad a few months ago and sold my mint condition Les paul Studio for 500. They go for 1000.00. So someone got a great damn guitar for 500.00. So id check there for a week or so. Amps can be scary used but guitars not so much.

If I was buying new Id get this.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=501158

If you like Les Pauls better you can get an Epiphone for 350.00 but personally Id get the 500.00 strat.
7/15/10 1:27 AM
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Epiphone makes a really nice Les Paul.
7/17/10 1:48 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can`t go wrong with MIM Fenders imo. I love my MIM Tele, plus there are TONS of aftermarket parts to mod with. You can find them pretty cheap used. I like the tone of Les Pauls but they are too damn heavy.
7/17/10 10:20 PM
nostripewhite

Hillbilly - Can`t go wrong with MIM Fenders imo. I love my MIM Tele, plus there are TONS of aftermarket parts to mod with. You can find them pretty cheap used. I like the tone of Les Pauls but they are too damn heavy.

Truth. I picked up a 500'ish Fender Strat and played around with it at a shop awhile back. Waaaaaaaaay lighter than my Les Paul.
7/19/10 1:37 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a few guitars that I'm selling. A Schecter C-1 Elite(black), Danelectro Innuendo(black), Ibanez AX7221(seven string,grey metallic). I'll see what else I have and post prices later today or tomorrow.. They're all in pretty much perfect condition, I think the Schecter has a BB sized ding somewhere on it.
7/21/10 1:26 PM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be interested in that schecter fo sho

MIM= Made in Mexico?
7/21/10 2:04 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, MIM = Made in Mexico
7/21/10 6:24 PM
Cueball B
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just bought myself an Ibanez ART 320 and swapped the stock PU for Seymour Duncan SH6 distortion bridge and SH2 jazz neck. Great guitar. Pups cost about 190 euros and guitar 385 euros.

For that price, you can't do any better.

Piece of advice: Do not buy a Gibson that costs less than 1000 euros or 1200 dollars. You are better of modding a fine cheap guitar then owning a overpriced piece of plywood (thats what cheap Gibsons are) If you want the best guitar there is though, invest in a 2000 dollar guitar.
7/22/10 11:10 AM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/22/10 11:24 AM
 I

This isn't it, but an identical guitar. Abalone inlayand ivoroid binding all around the body, headstock, and fingerboard. Maple top on Mahogony body, Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. I added knobs with abalone center inlays from Q-parts. Fancy! ;)

It's built like a Les Paul with it's set-in glued neck joint, but it has the 25 1/2" scale length of a Fender Strat or Tele. The similar C-1 Classic has the shorter 24.75" sclae of the Gibson. The longer scale gives the Elite a bit more tension and therefore a sharper edge to it's sound, as well as being a better choice for tuning down(fewer intonation issues).

I'd sell the Schecter for $400. I went to ebay and looked at what these are selling for and that seems fair.If you want pics I can send you good ones with close ups to show condition. Let me know here or at guitarworks1@aol.com.
7/26/10 6:40 PM
That Guy in the Back

It really depends on what type of music you want to play, and your personal taste etc... You can find used Les Paul Studio's that are American Made for $650 if you want to spring for it.. it'll hold it's value. I have owned both American and Mexican made strats and they are really close in quality. I kept the MIM one because I liked some mods I did to it.

Are you playing Rock/Pop type music?
7/27/10 8:53 AM
JasonKeaton

When I was playing I played everything from Death Metal to Blues. I think the MIM strats may be the way to go. Found one on craig's list for $250 but it has a floyd rose. Dont know if I want one of the those again.
8/3/10 4:02 PM
Racer X

I'd put Gibson pickups in the Schecter if you want. Same as the ones in the LP Studio, 500T in the bridge, 498R in the neck.

No extra charge.
8/4/10 12:43 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Brand new Fender Squiers are playable enough.
8/4/10 3:31 AM
Racer X

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Brand new Fender Squiers are playable enough.

For the hobbiest.
8/4/10 9:46 AM
JasonKeaton

No aquiers.
8/4/10 9:49 AM
JasonKeaton

Squiers, plus if I can fix something up a bit to make it decent I will.

Tough to find one of thsoe strats for me to check out. Curious about the neck.
8/4/10 11:33 AM
nostripewhite

Racer X - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome - Brand new Fender Squiers are playable enough.

For the hobbiest.

I dunno. Guess how you define hobbiest. I'm a hobbiest, I will never play professionally, but I play a few hours a day sometimes. Those things seem.. fragile.
8/4/10 1:26 PM
Racer X

I've seen decent Squiers. Playable enough describes them. Might find a gem among the rocks. More likely than better guitars to have intonation or fret issues in my experience.
8/5/10 9:38 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Racer X -  I've seen decent Squiers. Playable enough describes them. Might find a gem among the rocks. More likely than better guitars to have intonation or fret issues in my experience.

That's all I'm trying to say pretty much. If you don't know what you want you can get one brand new for cheap and they aren't fantastic but there's nothing seriously wrong that makes them unplayable.
8/13/10 12:54 PM
JasonKeaton

Bought an MIM Strat, Standard HSS Model! $300

Plays great but I may want to upgrade the tuners/bridge. But it is awesome! Thanks y'all
8/14/10 6:24 PM
Racer X

Some of the older MIM Strats are hard to get upgrade bridges for because they are a bit narrower than USA Fender specs. If it becimes a problem for you let me know here on the SoundGround and I'll help you sort it out.
8/16/10 7:37 AM
JasonKeaton

When I first bought it it was in a dropped down tuning. It was not staying in tune( I tuned it to itself). Then, i finally tuend it and the bridge is leaning forward( towards the nut). Is this normal for a strat?
8/19/10 1:43 AM
Ze Dano
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tighten up the springs in the back to balance out the string tension
8/20/10 10:37 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The john5 squier tele is pretty sweet.

I spend a lot of time getting the proper tremolo angle that works best.

Only a small difference in angle makes a big difference in how it reacts to palm muting and the progressiveness of it's authority.

Once you have the angle and height you prefer.....then you do the intonation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.