UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> DOES JOHN WILL HAVE OZ BJJ IN IT'S BEST INTERESTS?

7/27/10 4:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ken amtrack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posting on the internets with your real name makes you tuff

ps. I'm in no way affiliated with John Will, but i have heard nothing but good things about him as both a coach and a person
7/27/10 8:13 AM
ken amtrack

pps; Just my opinion, Goodo (not his real name) technically ended the thread second post for me...but good idea to discuss these costs in such public forum

ken :)

ps. I'm in no way affiliated with John Will, but i have heard nothing but good things about him as both a coach and a person
7/27/10 8:13 AM
DMMA

Lol Ken. That may be true or not, but it also means that you have the courage to actually stand up and be accountable for what you say.

Leftnut, nice to have you back. Once again, accuracy isn't your strong point is it?
A $2 trophy?? The engraving alone would cost that much on each of the trophies. Try again.

I have no idea why Elvis and Anthony charge $50 for their comp. You need to ask them.
It could be due to many factors, a couple of which walbjj has mentioned. Less competitors will also mean less insurance I'm guessing. The venue may have less requirements, therefore less cost. Or it could be the simple fact that Elvis and Anthony are prepared to make less of a profit or work at a lower per hour rate, which is their choice.

So what would you say is fair pay for putting together a tournament? Let's break it down to an hourly rate. How many hours do you think it would take to organise a large tournament? 100 hours maybe...maybe more??? I'm guessing here, feel free to put up what you think it would take. And how much per hour...say $40 per hour which I think is at the lower end of the pay scale. So that's $4000 pay...not profit...profit is after that. Does that seem reasonable?

Then add in all the other little incidentals that cost money. The phone calls, the running around etc. That all cost something.

So leftnut, as you stated, you have no problem with John making a profit, which is fair enough, but you have issues with how much he makes. Does it really seem like he's making a huge amount after all that. He might be making $4000, perhaps $6 or $7000.

But it's far less than $20000.

Since JBW is so money hungry, he is also offering a $10 discount for any early registrations, bringing the price down to $67.
7/27/10 8:16 AM
ken amtrack

Leftnut is a troll....rise
7/27/10 8:27 AM
DMMA

Yeah they both are. Perhaps they share the same bridge.
7/27/10 8:38 AM
ken amtrack

or fridge
7/27/10 8:50 AM
ken amtrack

Silat from the guard...does it work
7/27/10 8:55 AM
ken amtrack

Damm forgot, really important......

7/27/10 9:20 AM
DMMA

lol
7/27/10 9:54 AM
ken amtrack

Edited: 07/27/10 9:55 AM
BJJ In Aus....“Homer: [drunk] "Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the other BJJ guy. How I loathe him.”
7/28/10 11:13 PM
blakGSR
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vote with your feet and just don't go in it. Simple.

The comp scene looks pretty healthy in Melbourne anyway, plenty of options for you guys.
7/28/10 11:50 PM
leftnut

well as you said, elvis and perosh may work for 'less profit'which answers my question.
JBW doesnt have aussie bjj in his best interests.
and regarding JBW's early registration discount of $10, its still $17 more than perosh etc.
JBW is money hungry.
period
7/28/10 11:52 PM
leftnut

ken amtrack - Posting on the internets with your real name makes you tuff

you are a moron.
this discussion is about JBW being money hungry not about that he's a great guy.
it sounds like you dont even know the bloke so why are you in this discussion anyway?
7/29/10 1:57 AM
LoveToChoke

You're an idiot.

Since when did Anthony and Elvis become the standard to which all other competitions must compare, or risk being called money hungry?

Who are you to define someone as moneyhungry?
What exactly have you done to help out OZ BJJ? Have you run any competitions?

7/29/10 8:50 AM
leftnut

LoveToChoke - You're an idiot.

Since when did Anthony and Elvis become the standard to which all other competitions must compare, or risk being called money hungry?

Who are you to define someone as moneyhungry?
What exactly have you done to help out OZ BJJ? Have you run any competitions?

i dont remember saying that elvis and co. were the forefront of competition. what is said and ill say it again is why do we get charged a lot more to go in the Oz titles than say a state comp?
the state titles get very close to same amount of people as to the Oz titles yet you have to pay more.
Also i dont understand why they dont move it to different states each year like most sports do.
So what is happening is that their are guys out there that could probably smoke a lot of the usual competitors but cant coz they dont wanna have to always travel to melbourne to do it.
7/29/10 6:50 PM
LoveToChoke

I've organised a competition from another state - it's not easy and I wouldn't want to be doing that everyyear.

If people don't think that the Machado Nationals are worth it,and they don't want to travel, then they don't have to go. And yet, it's always packed.

How in any way does the price reflect on John not having the best interests of OZ BJJ anyway?
7/29/10 9:53 PM
DMMA

Yeah with logic like that, makes me think that leftnut is a chick.
7/30/10 2:16 AM
evilsorta

Edited: 07/30/10 3:38 AM
"what is said and ill say it again is why do we get charged a lot more to go in the Oz titles than say a state comp?"

why do you have to pay top dollar to see a afl game when you can attend a local vfl game for peanuts?

why can you go see a local highschool play for peanuts....yet you have to pay top dollar to see a broadway type production?

why can you see a local band play up the pub for a cheap door charge yet you have to pay more to see a interstate/international act?

interesting concept.
7/30/10 6:29 AM
Goodo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is a good point. I dont give a shit how rich Eddie Vedder is but I'll always pay $150 to watch Pearljam live cause I know what I'm going to get and its worth it to me.

I think in the end its obvious that Leftnuts issue is with the cost of the comp. I just think its sad that he's got on here and questioned if John Will has Aus BJJ in his best interests when the fact is he's done more for the sport in Australia than probably 95% of the people practicing it.

And by the way about half the people I know call me Goodo so I think that makes 50% internet tuff.
8/1/10 6:28 AM
ivo_dos_santos

If John Will charges what he wants. he makes sure he covers his expenses. Once he's done that he can charge $500 a pop, who cares? don't go. he is able to charge that amount and get people because they see a cost-benefit relationship in competing. you're value is what your customers are willing to pay.

i come from the judo world where most of our comps are bout $15 entry and you're guaranteed at least 2 fights. This might be the reason why my sport is not as well-set financially as BJJ. despite having hundreds of active competitors they bring in very little $$$$.

good on John Will, i reckon back in the day when he got BJJ off the ground in this town he was putting a hell of a lot of his own money in and getting very little back.

now it's bearing fruit and people want to knock him for it.
Go out there, learn your art, start a club, an association, then hold a national competition and see if your efforts aren't worth the entry fee JBW is asking!
8/5/10 7:04 AM
ken amtrack

Silat never die one less testicle
8/5/10 7:14 AM
ken amtrack

BJJ the path to riches that’s why Willsie does it Fo Sho....bwaaa haa haaa one less testicle btw why you advertising that
8/5/10 7:19 AM
ken amtrack

How did you lose the right nut....what happens in Thailand stays in Thailand
8/5/10 7:21 AM
ken amtrack

8/5/10 7:47 AM
ken amtrack

Actually there was a one story (photos included nonutz) in an early Blitz mag where he was wearing a nappy in a sandpit with a bunch Malays....but he kept both his nuts....left & right...that’s where he plotted his BJJ domination of Aus...in the sandpit's in Malaysia...sellout

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.