UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Bible Version?

7/15/10 2:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
salsero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/15/10 1:16 PM

I'm looking to buy a Bible after not having one for about 10 years. I grew up reading (and even studied a bit) the KJV, so I don't have any problems reading or understanding it. However, I wanted to get some suggestions from you guys here.
7/15/10 12:02 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JPS is best for the OT
7/15/10 3:51 PM
Ridgeback
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There really is no perfect translation.  I think the New King James Version is not a bad one and has updated English.  
7/15/10 3:53 PM
Ridgeback
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chareth Cutestory - http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Jefferson was ignorant of history so even with his little experiment of taking out the supernatural parts he didn't understand a lot of the Jewish Messianic beliefs.  Besides, the Enlightenment turned out to be a pretty naive view of the world.  Why follow people whose core beliefs have been largely trounced?
7/15/10 5:40 PM
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have nothing against honest skepticism, but judging from the notes to the first ch. of Matthew, the scholarship is pretty sloppy and poorly researched.
7/17/10 5:40 AM
haggendas

New King James Version....
7/17/10 5:41 AM
haggendas

^^You actually can get it for free on-line...google it.
7/17/10 9:55 AM
Ridgeback

BibleGateway has pretty much every translation online so you can read them side by side.

Of course the most awesome Bible is the audio version read by Johnny Cash
7/21/10 11:54 AM
toelocku

martial_shadow - JPS is best for the OT

Nope...

Look to J.B Rotherhams emphasized version....much better than the JPS which is full of Christian influenced translations.

or the KJV with concordance/ voice tense/mood....in Esword(best thing evA).
7/21/10 11:57 AM
toelocku

is that johhny cash audio free?
7/21/10 4:38 PM
Fat Tony

"Johnny Cash Reads The New Testament" is a wonderful audio book, but it's not the original King James Version. I used it to memorize some great sections but I find the vicious euphony of the KJV is not preserved in this version.

I haven't heard the James Earl Jones reading but it's gotta be cool too. Anyone using that one?
7/21/10 7:53 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Toelocku- Not sure how you could claim JPS is influenced by Christians. Rotherham was a Christian while the JPS was translated by a council of Rabbis who had no ties to Christianity. Not the 1917 version, the new one.
7/22/10 12:37 AM
Ridgeback

toelocku - is that johhny cash audio free?

I got it through my Audible membership.  I've never seen it free unless you mean a torrent.
7/22/10 12:33 PM
toelocku

martial_shadow - Toelocku- Not sure how you could claim JPS is influenced by Christians. Rotherham was a Christian while the JPS was translated by a council of Rabbis who had no ties to Christianity. Not the 1917 version, the new one.

The first one was practically a kjv ripoff. yet to read the new one though I'd bet 'gentile' translation influence is in it as well. Is it ava. on the net?

Though i look at jewish translations with an open mind(for obvious reasons), jews like Christians have been corrupted by the nations influences(naturally), which is why i use my own brain to derive proper interpretation.

Using the bible for its own interpretations of word meanings is how this is best done. weeding out the false doctrines of those doing the translating(which can be rampant esp. in the kjv).

i've not taken one heb or greek class and KNOW my understanding of word meanings using esword with lexicons etc...has pushed my understanding of the bible to 'another level'.

aka...'trust but verify'.

7/22/10 1:31 PM
martial_shadow

I believe only the 1917 version is online. I own the other copy and their are subtle differences of language.

Its good you've taken Hebrew and Greek and realize that they heavily influence understanding of the Bible.

My issue with 'The Bible translates the Bible' is the vast amount of time between the various books. If we look at the earliest books of the Bible (that we know of) they date to approx 1000BCE while the latest books (of the NT) date to 200CE. This is a 1200 year span across 3 languages. I will point out that according to the liguists who do research for the Oxford dictionary, minor language changes occur constantly with major language changes occuring every 150-300 years. Given the slow rate of progress back then, lets call it 300. That is still 4 full language revolutions before the Bible (with NT) was codified in its final version.

Basic example, in Genesis, it says tohu vavohu when describing the wild, chaotic emptiness of the universe. No one would use these words today- not even in literary circles. Just food for thought.
7/22/10 5:56 PM
toelocku

martial_shadow - I believe only the 1917 version is online. I own the other copy and their are subtle differences of language.

Its good you've taken Hebrew and Greek and realize that they heavily influence understanding of the Bible.

My issue with 'The Bible translates the Bible' is the vast amount of time between the various books. If we look at the earliest books of the Bible (that we know of) they date to approx 1000BCE while the latest books (of the NT) date to 200CE. This is a 1200 year span across 3 languages. I will point out that according to the liguists who do research for the Oxford dictionary, minor language changes occur constantly with major language changes occuring every 150-300 years. Given the slow rate of progress back then, lets call it 300. That is still 4 full language revolutions before the Bible (with NT) was codified in its final version.

Basic example, in Genesis, it says tohu vavohu when describing the wild, chaotic emptiness of the universe. No one would use these words today- not even in literary circles. Just food for thought.

i think you misunderstood i've taken ZERO classes.

the linguistic 'differences' you describe while i acknowledge them, ITS THE SYNTHESIS of the 'differences' that = the full understanding of Truth.

also it helps that I believe that God is MORE THAN ABLE to preserve the specific words He wants posterity to know.

not sure what you mean when you say 'no one would use these today'(which i don't agree, i hear these words used in sermons all the time, as well as my own study of the meaning of it).

latin is a 'dead' language and i understand and use words from it all the time.
7/23/10 8:05 AM
CJJScout
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get the ESV. Newest translation into english that is a word by word translation so it is closest to the original language. I've been enjoying mine.
7/23/10 4:14 PM
Juijitsuboxer
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For orthodoxy:

http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Study-Bible-Ancient-Christianity/dp/0718003594

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yvvhd4NFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For Catholics:

http://www.amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279915819&sr=1-1

Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament RSV 2nd Edition [Paperback]

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51M4iptQNUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or

The Catholic Study Bible: New American Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Study-Bible-New-American/dp/0195283910

Great Trinitarian Pentecostal Study Bible:

http://www.amazon.com/NIV-Life-Spirit-Study-Bible/dp/0310922429

http://www.crossroadsbooks.com/shop/images/9780310927587.jpg
7/24/10 12:51 AM
Ridgeback

There are Bibles that actually have side by side different translations out there as well.  Those can sometimes be helpful.  It all comes down to who did the translating though.  When you are choosing to translate a word with theological implications and you have a few choices, you are naturally going to pick the one that fits your particular theology more often than not.

7/27/10 1:42 AM
toelocku

thanks man^
7/27/10 1:45 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did quite a bit of Greek in college. Im no master of it but I learned in my reading that most translations out there are adequate. Aside from paraphrases and agenda driven annotated bibles, they all are good enough. There isnt magic in the greek language and doctrines arent really affected by 99.9 percent of translations.  It just happens that Greek is a very colorful thoughtful and precise language. Though, Attic (classical) greek is even more difficult, the NT is very simple greek.
7/27/10 4:40 PM
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you study any Hebrew or Aramaic Z? Just curious how those languages translate. Were there other OT languages too?
7/29/10 1:04 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, I havent studied Hebrew or aramaic. I tell you what is interesting is reading the Greek OT. I have it and it interesting because it was the most widely used translation of OT for christians.
7/29/10 9:31 PM
Ridgeback

zealot66 -  No, I havent studied Hebrew or aramaic. I tell you what is interesting is reading the Greek OT. I have it and it interesting because it was the most widely used translation of OT for christians.

Being able to read the NT and Septuagint in Greek is something I would really like to learn to do.  First I need to work on actually getting to black belt in BJJ before I retire.
8/7/10 1:57 AM
Ridgeback

jotobo - I really struggle with bible versions. Its like you start one and there is a whole camp of people who tell you how satanic and evil and watered down it is.
Those people usually don't know what they are talking about and are trying to make the scriptures carry a burden they were never meant to carry (sola scriptura) so it is imperative they assign their chosen translation god-like qualities.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.