UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> best .308 assault/battle rifle

7/15/10 4:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Out of the following? Feel free to add others. 7.62x51 only.

FN-FAL
FN-SCAR MK17
HK MR762
Springfield M1A1
ArmaLite AR-10

By 'best' I basically mean cost/reliability ratio, if such a thing is quantifiable, and magazine capacity. I'm a big fan of the Browning BAR, but it obviously wouldn't make the cut with a 4-round box mag.
7/17/10 10:21 AM
ILoveManTaint
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Springfield. Beautiful gun, reliable as can be, tremendously accurate, variable ammo capacity, uses the very common .308 round making ammo availability a solvable problem.

Hopefully there is one in my future
7/19/10 3:19 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LRB forged M14 receiver built by smith enterprise into Crazy Horse.
7/19/10 5:29 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been doing a lot of research and it appears that the ArmaLite AR-10 is one bad-ass weapon. Not to take anything away from the M14/M1A, but the new(er) AR can accept 20 round mags and is accurate to the same range as the venerable M14 rifle--i.e., 600-800 meters.

In one test, the AR was cycled with 600 rounds (no malfunction) and could hit a target at 1000 meters (no specification on accuracy, but hitting anything at 1000m is impressive).

The biggest things going for the AR are:
1. Large mag capacity
2. Recoil goes straight back (i.e., minimal muzzle rise)

I love an M14/M1A...but I also like the higher mag capacity and lack of muzzle rise based on design.

Anyone have experience firing either weapon?
7/19/10 7:27 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes.

fired an AR10 a few times and one SR25 once.

fired fuckloads through USGI M14s and M1As.

My recommendation still stands based upon my own limited experience and the stuff I've heard from those more experienced and knowledgeable than myself.

If you looking at a match-spec platform, then I would recommend the SR25 over the M14/M1a as they are easier to build, maintain and repair in match condition.

What I would do if I was buying.
7/20/10 9:16 AM
dentalninja

^^^ Thanks for the input.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.