UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> What are the most common attacks?

7/15/10 6:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of people on the other thread disagreed that those were common attacks...

What are common attacks these days and how to best defend against them?
7/16/10 3:24 PM
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are the top Three attacks on the street in a bare hand brawl.

1) The John Wayne.

2) The John Wayne.

3) The John Wayne.

Everything else comes a distant 22nd or so.
7/16/10 6:26 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Internet character assassination.
7/16/10 9:42 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it depends on the individual defending to an extent. For guys, most fights are alcohol induced barroom affairs that involve someone throwing a John Wayne, or trying to headlock or tackle you because their john wayne missed and they stagged into you. At least, IME.

For a female, most likely some form of body grab/tackle to get them on the ground or lift them to carry them somewhere would be my guess.
7/17/10 3:35 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kai and Skp are correct. Wild haymakers (with the head ducked or leaned precariously back) are most of what you see.
7/17/10 7:36 PM
Kai Tremeche

I fully agree with Skpotamus.
7/18/10 9:43 AM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys. Demetrius, I've hired an internet assassin before and it didn't turn out so well, so be careful with that.
7/27/10 7:07 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Identity theft?

Gossip?

Your lunch from the break room refer?
7/28/10 8:17 PM
HEMAN
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HAYMAKER.

Defense? Try the SPEAR tactic by Tony Bauer. If you have boxing experience...I assume it's natural to duck or cover and fire combinations. If you have wrestling experience...duck and shoot.
7/29/10 6:46 PM
Demitrius Barbito

The SPEAR has merit. So does CRAZY MONKEY and good ole boxing.
8/17/10 11:57 AM
The Gimp

Crazy Monkey would be my preference, but that's because it's the only standup I've trained. Simple and effective even for a pussy beginner such as myself.
8/18/10 1:39 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/18/10 1:40 AM
If this interests you enough to do Internet video research on it (I'm not that interested.), I would suggest watching everything leading up to the first punch/kick/tackle.

If your time (and health and money and freedome) is valuable, spend it seeing how avoidable most of these things are, and when and how to avoid them.

When they are not avoidable, they are often also not predictable. So being in good physical and mental condition will be important. You may have to take an unexpected punch/kick/club/bottle/knife, and then still have the wherewithal to fight and/or run.

Only when the fight is both unavoidable and somewhat predictable will you really get into thoughts about and responses to "common attacks." Here, as hinted at by some above, any functional set of combat skills to which you dedicate sufficient time and effort will serve you.

It would also be wise, assuming you take all this seriously, to include in your own personal answer to a question like the original "How would you train for these common attacks?" assurances that your response does not hurt you more than some drunken frat boys weakass excuse for an overhand right.

That is, if you go full Kempo or Krav Maga retard--to say nothing of going all FMA knife crazy-on some drunken dude, poking out eyes because he grabbed your tshirt or shoved you, you will likely and deservedly get crushed by the legal system.

So I think a distinction needs always to be made between effective responses and ART (appropriate response training). I know, not as cool as SPEAR, but it's the first acronym I've ever made, so be generous:)

Everything works along a continuum and must be kept in balance. Letting yourself get physically attacked is neither effective nor appropriate. Pulling out a handgun and double tapping anyone who looks at you funny is an effective way to minimize potential future physical altercations, but not appropriate. An Aikido wristlock may be an appropriate level of force against attempting to grab you, but its effectiveness is questionable. Thus, each person must take responsibility for developing both the physical skills and intellectual/emotional/psychological ability to respond in a way that is both effective and appropriate in a variety of situations...which is a little harder than wathcing Youtube:)
8/18/10 7:11 AM
Kai Tremeche

John Frankl - 

That is, if you go full Kempo or Krav Maga retard--to say nothing of going all FMA knife crazy-on some drunken dude, poking out eyes because he grabbed your tshirt or shoved you, you will likely and deservedly get crushed by the legal system.

This.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.