UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hallman a new man long-running allergy problem sol

7/16/10 7:28 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

MMA veteran Dennis Hallman (41-13-2 MMA, 1-4 UFC) could never figure out why he was so utterly exhausted after training and why his cardio seemed to fail him during fights.

Hallman, who faces Ben Saunders at UFC 117, recently discovered he has Celiac disease, which means he is allergic to wheat. He's now cut the grain out of his diet, and told MMAjunkie Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he feels like a new man.

Hallman didn't attribute the loss to his condition, but he later sought out doctors to find out what was happening to him. After tests, he said they were "troubled" with what they found. His body wasn't producing testosterone or cortisol, two hormones essential to the activity and recovery of an athlete. The wheat in his diet was preventing him from absorbing the nutrients that allowed him to produce the chemicals.

Celiac disease affects over two million people in the U.S. and is often hereditary. It can cause damage to the body's internal organs, though it is not fatal.

Hallman has been off wheat since May and has immediately noticed the difference.

"I have actual cortisol in my body now, so I have recovery time," Hallman said. "When I get tired, I can recover."

Read entire article...

7/16/10 8:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dunchurrn
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coeliac disease has a whole range of fucked up symptoms, the average length of diagnosis is over 10 years, and that's IF you're symptomatic. You can go your entire life without showing any.

There's a 1 in 100 chance that whoever's reading this has the disease, and a far, far smaller chance that it'll ever be diagnosed correctly.

Good for Hallman.
7/16/10 9:31 AM
Jenny Wishbone
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck to Hallman.
7/16/10 10:20 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robin Phoenix will be happy.
7/16/10 10:23 AM
Jeepster
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hope this helps him improve his overall game, must be frustrating knowing something is off... but not know what.
7/16/10 10:35 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn hard to cut out all wheat.

Maybe I'll try it just to see if I've been "limited" without knowing it.
7/16/10 5:18 PM
haggendas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope it helps!

Good Luck!
7/16/10 5:20 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ponyboy - Damn hard to cut out all wheat.

It can be very hard since a lot of prepared foods have flour, but there are a lot more Gluten-free labels, lately.
7/16/10 5:20 PM
KrisDonahoo
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ponyboy - Robin Phoenix will be happy.

What you did there, I see it.
7/16/10 6:37 PM
YourDumbFace

If this really is the issue we could be seeing some crazy shit in the octagon. The first few minutes of his fights are poetry in motion; the man is a BEAST until his cardio runs out. I hope this works out as much for his health as for my own selfish benefit.
7/16/10 7:02 PM
Yelm
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck to Hallman and for cryin out loud his next fight should be televised.
7/16/10 7:47 PM
dunchurrn
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ponyboy - Damn hard to cut out all wheat.

It's not as simple as just cutting out wheat. It's the protein in barley, wheat, oats (there's actually some debate about this but often wheat and oats are milled together) and rye.

And it's not just cutting out the food, in the home there's cross contamination issues. Butter or jam had a knife that's touched toast? Contaminated. Deep fryer had something gluteny in it? The oil is contaminated. Gotta make sure utensils are clean etc.

Now scale that up to food production: you can't eat something that has had gluten near the same machinery, or in 99% of cases in the same facility. Until the point that it's packaged and sealed, it can't go near any gluten safely. If something is gluten free, food labelling is often woefully inadequate and you have to chase up customer services, if they exist, to find out.

If you don't have reason to suspect you might have coeliac disease, don't worry about it too much, if you do, talk to your doctor. But be aware that the blood tests aren't really that accurate, and the only gold standard for diagnosis is a bowel biopsy. And for either of those to work: you need to keep eating gluten.
7/18/10 7:49 AM
dino365

Dennis is a class act guy, top notch fighting ability, and an inspiration for all. Now that he has a second chance, he will make the most of it.

Superman is BACK!!!
7/18/10 7:59 AM
JOB
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I e-mailed Hallman about this a few years ago, as I had the same problems. It turned out that I too was gluten intolerant.
7/18/10 8:23 AM
U4EA
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/10 8:24 AM
Very interesting.

Here's my story:

I had eczema when I was young, pretty bad. It got better as I got older, but I always had persistant red patches in my elbows, behind my knees etc and generally very sensitive skin which was always paper-dry. During my teens, I developed asthma.

The doctors told me it seemed to be a dairy allergy, so I kinda accepted it was (obviously, this is a very common allergy). I started to realise one other thing - everytime I ate wheat, I got bloated and tired. I tried going a day or two without it, then eat it again. When I did, my heart rate would shoot up, I couldn't sleep (not like me at all) etc. I would also have blood-shot eyes the next day.

Recently, I had been getting more and more serious about paleo diets, which forbid grains. I had done it before for a period of time and my skin had been a lot better. about 6 weeks ago, I went hardcore and cut out all none-paleo foods with the exception of a bit of cheese. After 4-5 days, I noticed all of a sudden the red patches on my skin were healing. I had never linked gluten allergy to my skin condition. After 7 days not only did I not have red patches on my skin but, for the first time in my life, my skin is now totally lubricated, soft, smooth etc. I now have perfect, normal, healthy skin. I dont need any creams, or anything at all.

I also know exactly how much my lungs can take before my asthma comes on. I noticed the other day after running how that I didn't seem to be wheezing. That had never happened since I first got asthma. Last night, I went for a run for the first time in a while. Light warm up, the hard sprints. Usually, my lungs would start to close up after the first sprint, but I had no symptoms at all. It appears the gluten was causing the asthma too.

I hope that people reading this who perhaps have similar health problems might be able to learn from this.
7/18/10 6:31 PM
NHBSuperman
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks to everyne for the kind words. I have only been off of wheat since May and I am loads better. My Doc says that it should take between 6-9 months before I am completly healthy. I can not wait. If any of you suspect that you may have a sensitivity to gluten then dont hesitate to get a test from Enterolabs.com its only $99 and can change your life. God Bless everyone and Thans again...gotta go trai n for that animal I am fighting on the 7th!
7/18/10 10:00 PM
Kai Tremeche

One of my friends nearly died from Celiac disease. She was in a coma for almost a year and had about 2 feet of her intestine removed.

Glad you got to it earlier than that, man.
7/18/10 10:05 PM
Ponyboy

Edited: 07/18/10 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info Dennis.

Do you think a "bacon only diet" would benefit people with the same condition?

I can't see how it wouldn't help greatly.
7/18/10 10:24 PM
buvaiser

great now matt hughes will have stronger gameplan against him.
7/19/10 10:07 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NHBSuperman - Thanks to everyne for the kind words. I have only been off of wheat since May and I am loads better. My Doc says that it should take between 6-9 months before I am completly healthy. I can not wait. If any of you suspect that you may have a sensitivity to gluten then dont hesitate to get a test from Enterolabs.com its only $99 and can change your life. God Bless everyone and Thans again...gotta go trai n for that animal I am fighting on the 7th!
I've had two close friends deal with the condition. That time frame seems about right.

It will be interesting when you do finally return to normal. You have probably not absorbed a *lot* of nutrients over the years.

Going out to eat will remain a pain in the ass for you. So many prepared foods have hidden flour. Sauces. Chili. Soups. Anything that might need to be thickened.
7/19/10 10:51 AM
shmuckothemighty
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read this and then the symptoms and my jaw has dropped as i think I have this.

I then realized no gluten and wheat means no beer or whisky.

I could cry

But I am 4 days wheat free

Whoo hoo

7/19/10 12:11 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
7/19/10 12:36 PM
DJLastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buvaiser - great now matt hughes will have stronger gameplan against him.

It's too bad that Dennis' kryptonite can actually be found growing on Hughes' farm. If the UFC sets up the 3rd fight...Hughes will probably sneak a wheat-mouthpiece into Hallman's gear.
7/19/10 1:38 PM
U4EA
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shmuckothemighty - I read this and then the symptoms and my jaw has dropped as i think I have this.

I then realized no gluten and wheat means no beer or whisky.

I could cry

But I am 4 days wheat free

Whoo hoo

Just out of interest, keep us updated.
7/20/10 12:01 PM
dino365

Who knew wheat could be so damaging, crazy stuff. Thank god you know the root cause finally. Time to take it out on Saunders!!!!!! A wheat free submission is much more entertaining and impressive!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.