UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pellegrino meniscus surgery finds torn ACL

7/19/10 11:20 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

UFC lightweight Kurt Pellegrino underwent surgery this past week to repair a torn meniscus and got some bad news afterward. Pellegrino's doctor fixed a slight tear in his knee cartilage but discovered something much worse: a torn ACL.

The fighter now must book another date with the surgeon to get his ACL replaced, though he is adamant that he won't be sidelined by the injury any longer than March 2011.

"You hear all these athletes are out for a year," Pellegrino today told MMAjunkie.com . "I won't be out for a year. There's just no way."

The knee injury occurred when opponent George Sotiropoulos knocked down and jumped on top of Pellegrino in the first round of their fight at UFC 116. Pellegrino's knee buckled and he screamed in pain, but he refused to quit.

Pellegrino also had torn his meniscus in a fight with Fabricio Camoes at UFC 111 and underwent corrective surgery 10 weeks prior to UFC 116, which took place earlier this month.

Read entire article...

7/19/10 1:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.cagepotato.com/exclusive-kurt-pellegrino-train-rocky-4-style-gsps-camp-montreal-next-fight
7/19/10 5:38 PM
MelPel6306
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll be back :)
7/19/10 6:35 PM
TheClips

Edited: 07/19/10 6:36 PM
Damn...I woulda asked my surgeon how the hell he missed that in the MRI...

I mean, I ASSUME the doctor gave Pellegrino an MRI to make his diagnosis...that is, unless Kurt just limped into the operating room, asked for a meniscus surgery and the doctor snapped his fingers, said, "Sure thing, boss!" and scrubbed in...
7/19/10 6:52 PM
The Sultan
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheClips - Damn...I woulda asked my surgeon how the hell he missed that in the MRI...

I mean, I ASSUME the doctor gave Pellegrino an MRI to make his diagnosis...that is, unless Kurt just limped into the operating room, asked for a meniscus surgery and the doctor snapped his fingers, said, "Sure thing, boss!" and scrubbed in...
happens all the time.

I wonder if all the doctors it happens to are just not that good?

Either way, I know of a few people, myself included that went to a pretty high level orthoscopic surgeon who didn't see a torn ACL until they went in to repair the meniscus.

7/19/10 7:03 PM
MelPel6306

TheClips - Damn...I woulda asked my surgeon how the hell he missed that in the MRI...

haha! no, the doc knew of the ACL problem but Kurt didnt want him to replace it right away without going in and seeing how bad it was. kurt was trying to avoid the ACL replacement, but the dr said it was too bad to ignore. dr said he could live normally without replacing it if he had a desk job, but his 'line of work' it would be impossible for him to train properly, let alone fight.

:)
7/19/10 7:25 PM
YourDumbFace

Good thing he's retired and won't have to worry about this messing up his training for upcoming fights!
7/19/10 10:07 PM
1st Rnd KO
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The exact same thing happened to me.  They told me they were going to repair my miniscus and some cartilage, but once they got in there they found the torn ACL.  They ended up doing a complete ACL replacement.  The MRI didn't show the ACL damage.  I'm still recovering.    

7/19/10 10:24 PM
Haywood Jablowme
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MelPel= Pretty reliable source.
7/19/10 10:47 PM
Caught_clean
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at I wont wait for a year. Enjoy retearing it over and over. I am on surgery number 5 and feel like a retard.
7/19/10 11:01 PM
SpiderRicco

I guess retirement is inevitable.
7/19/10 11:32 PM
The Sultan
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caught_clean - LOL at I wont wait for a year. Enjoy retearing it over and over. I am on surgery number 5 and feel like a retard.
Yeah, I rushed a return as well and ended up tearing mine again too.....however, I did play lacrosse on a turf field in college so it was really harsh on the joints.

7/20/10 12:02 AM
daglord
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

still recovering as well...

good luck & a speedy recovery Kurt.
7/20/10 4:18 AM
knuckleballs

That sucks. Good luck, Kurt. Fuck, after paralysis and the exploded testicle, this is my biggest fear in my training.
7/20/10 4:23 AM
BigTuna

Love watching Kurt fight. Hope the recovery goes well.

BT

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.