UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hazelett makes return against doctor's advice

7/20/10 10:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

When UFC welterweight contender Dustin Hazelett (12-5 MMA, 5-3 UFC) steps into the cage on Aug. 7 for his bout with Rick Story, "McLovin" will be doing so against his doctor's advice.

But armed with an intense passion for fighting and a lack of a "Plan B," Hazelett says he can't wait to set foot in the octagon.

"There's always concerns," Hazelett recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "Even before I started fighting there were concerns because clearly it's a dangerous sport. It's not tap dancing, but this is what I love to do."

Hazelett suffered a broken orbital bone in his January fight with Paul Daley, and the injury required some extensive recovery time. Hazelett said he adhered to all recommended guidelines and elected to remain patient as it healed.

"They said, 'If you rush back into sparring, and you get hit hard, it will end up fracturing again, and it will be even worse.' I wanted to give it time to make sure that it completely healed so that I wouldn't rush into a fight, get hurt, and I'd be off even longer. I wanted to make sure I was completely 100 percent coming back."

The Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Hazelett the opportunity to return early with a doctor's clearance, but when the 24-year-old visited a professional line up by the UFC, he received some startling advice.

"They sent me to a leading expert in my area, I guess, and he was not too keen on the idea of me coming back early," Hazelett said. "In fact, he refused to let me come back early, and he said, 'If you were my son, I would suggest you never fight again, obviously.'

"I'm really looking forward to coming back and kind of starting over and getting a couple of wins together without any lengthy layoff."

Read entire article...

7/21/10 12:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dustin is AWESOME and he is a young dude. There is NO REASON for him to push this and come back so soon!
7/21/10 12:20 AM
OmegaPoon
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - Dustin is AWESOME and he is a young dude. There is NO REASON for him to push this and come back so soon!

agree, if it gets shattered again he is going to regret this.
7/21/10 2:09 AM
dnwsr
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's one of my favorite fighters to watch. Hopefully he'll get back on track in this next fight and won't take any significant damage. He has a long career ahead of him if he can stay healthy and focused.
7/21/10 2:38 AM
Joe_Say_Aldo

This is not good. He's going against a guy who definitely has the skills to smash his face a bit before getting caught. Hope his face holds up long enough for another beautiful sub.
7/21/10 2:46 AM
Nanook
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shambala Sports Network, Host, Producer
Story isn't the guy you want to go into a fight against doctor's advice against.
7/21/10 8:10 AM
AlliancePA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His bills won't pay themselves so I'm sure he has a little pressure on him to get back sooner rather than later.
7/21/10 10:19 AM
clattymine
501 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlliancePA - His bills won't pay themselves so I'm sure he has a little pressure on him to get back sooner rather than later.

This is probably the unfortunate truth.

Usually doctors are overly cautious but orbitals, eyesight and head injuries are among the top things you should not take chances with.
7/21/10 10:27 AM
sacredhate
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the doctor's advice was that he never fight again.

and Dustin doesn't have a right to come back against the doctors decree.

Let's separate

"i wouldn't want my son to fight" advice

from

"you aren't healed enough to be in a sanctioned fight" advice
7/21/10 10:34 AM
Steamfitter

If he dies, he dies.
7/21/10 11:21 AM
The Sultan
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, wtf is that dude saying....what does he know.....it's not like he's a doctor or anything.
7/21/10 11:21 AM
disbeliever
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now that this is out, expect his opp. to go right for the orbital
7/21/10 12:00 PM
xxzygotexx
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for McLovin, the 25 year old hawaiian organ donor...

Will always tune in to see him fight...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.